Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely fantastic app! Is there a way to remotely turn on the seat heaters (front and back) and perhaps even the steering wheel heater? If not, can this be added in the future. I have the P85D with the executive test seating package. It allows separate hearing of the seat back and seat bottom for each of the rear seats. It would be great to be able to control all of these remotely in the winter!

Absolutely fantastic app! Is there a way to remotely turn on the seat heaters (front and back) and perhaps even the steering wheel heater? If not, can this be added in the future. I have the P85D with the executive test seating package. It allows separate hearing of the seat back and seat bottom for each of the rear seats. It would be great to be able to control all of these remotely in the winter!

Tesla has not made the function of the heated steering wheel or seat heaters controllable through their API so there is no way for Remote S to control those functions. Allen has promised that as Tesla adds functionality to the API, he will incorporate it into Remote S.

Force touch is what I'll work on next. I'm only allowed 4 force touch buttons in the menu, so I have to really think about which 4 commands I plan on putting there.

I was under the impression that there's a way you can have the 3D Touch menu be customizable by the user? A great example of this is the Workflow app.

Might be something to look into if you haven't seen it already. :cool:

Sorry if I missed something by not reading all of these previous 84 pages (!) but does the app allow to simply schedule a time in the morning to heat up the car? Dowloaded the app yesterday, but couldn't immediately find that. Would, as far as I'm concerned, be the Greatest Feature Of All.

Sorry if I missed something by not reading all of these previous 84 pages (!) but does the app allow to simply schedule a time in the morning to heat up the car? Dowloaded the app yesterday, but couldn't immediately find that. Would, as far as I'm concerned, be the Greatest Feature Of All.
There is not, although I also wish there were. Apparently it would be difficult to code, and there may have been some other issues with it as well. Alan has talked about it in the past, but not sure where it stands right now.

There is not, although I also wish there were. Apparently it would be difficult to code, and there may have been some other issues with it as well. Alan has talked about it in the past, but not sure where it stands right now.
Short answer is that Apple doesn't allow apps to run in the background, probably for battery saving reasons, so it would have to be done remotely on a computer/server for it to work reliably.

Long answer:
The issue isn't that it's difficult to code. It's more time-consuming than difficult if anything. But the main issue is that Apple does not really allow apps to run in the background unless it's a music app or voip or GPS app. I figured out a workaround that could potentially trigger the app to run in the background briefly. But it required strict conditions for it to happen, and there's no guarantee that it will even happen. Apple even said specifically to not expect it to occur at the time you want it to occur. The functionally was mainly for apps to be able to download newspaper/magazine content in the background at random times.

Anyway, I do want to tackle this issue, because it's frequently requested. I was working on a project with Parse.com to get it to work prior to my surgery. I also already coded the UI interface for it on Remote S prior to surgery and there's a picture of it sometime in a June post on this thread. But unfortunately, Facebook bought out Parse.com and is shutting down Parse later this year with no replacement service. So I'm back to square one, and will have to build up a web server and web service on my own to get this to work.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Short answer is that Apple doesn't allow apps to run in the background, probably for battery saving reasons, so it would have to be done remotely on a computer/server for it to work reliably.

Long answer:
The issue isn't that it's difficult to code. It's more time-consuming than difficult if anything. But the main issue is that Apple does not really allow apps to run in the background unless it's a music app or voip or GPS app. I figured out a workaround that could potentially trigger the app to run in the background briefly. But it required strict conditions for it to happen, and there's no guarantee that it will even happen. Apple even said specifically to not expect it to occur at the time you want it to occur. The functionally was mainly for apps to be able to download newspaper/magazine content in the background at random times.

Anyway, I do want to tackle this issue, because it's frequently requested. I was working on a project with Parse.com to get it to work prior to my surgery. I also already coded the UI interface for it on Remote S prior to surgery and there's a picture of it sometime in a June post on this thread. But unfortunately, Facebook bought out Parse.com and is shutting down Parse later this year with no replacement service. So I'm back to square one, and will have to build up a web server and web service on my own to get this to work.

Allen, is there a reason why Background App Refresh needs to be on in iOS?

It's not required. But it will allow the app to update the car stats in the background depending on your frequency of use of the app. This way, when you start up the app, it would be more up to date than when you last used the app. The first screen is always a cache of the car stats before it updates with the current info. This way, you can get your car stats immediately instead of waiting for the server to update your info.

Apple controls when the updates happen, and it depends on your app usage frequency and other factors like how strong your internet is and how much battery your device has left.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Pretty sure there was an app recently that did this, and it was taken off the app store. I wish I could remember where I saw it, maybe gizmodo or something, but they were playing music silently in the background to stay open, and Apple wasn't too happy about it.

Yeah, I remember that too. It was FlexBrite (a screen-temperature changer).

Apple's definitely not keen on the "play silent music so you can run in the background" kludge.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100

Long answer:

Apple needs to add an OS feature to allow apps to request to be launched in the background at a specified date & time. Then they could run for a short time and get business done without undue battery or processor use.

GSP

Hi there,
Great app. But of a confusing UI.
Is there anyway to view the journey log in a more easy manner? I.e a list which you click on that shows you the journey info and maybe a map with the route taken?

Right now I'm completely confused as to how to view the journey log chronologically. I'm just clicking on random pins.

Hi there,
Great app. But of a confusing UI.
Is there anyway to view the journey log in a more easy manner? I.e a list which you click on that shows you the journey info and maybe a map with the route taken?

Right now I'm completely confused as to how to view the journey log chronologically. I'm just clicking on random pins.
Sorry about the confusing UI. The problem is that since the app stops working after you close it, I have no idea what route you took or be able to tell if the current location is in the middle of a journey or at the beginning/end of a journey. The map makes much more sense if you left the app running as you drive the route. Then the pins would draw a pretty clear route by dropping a pin every few seconds. It also helps if you clear out all the pins before you start the journey and then start fresh. Once you finish mapping out your route, tapping on the "Efficiency" label would give you detailed stats on the journey that you just took. You can then choose to save that journey into either the green or purple save slots by pressing on the floppy disk icon. At that point, you can either reset the red pins by pressing on the trash icon, or just keep going to add more to the data set.

Reactions: noobey
Sorry about the confusing UI. The problem is that since the app stops working after you close it, I have no idea what route you took or be able to tell if the current location is in the middle of a journey or at the beginning/end of a journey. The map makes much more sense if you left the app running as you drive the route. Then the pins would draw a pretty clear route by dropping a pin every few seconds. It also helps if you clear out all the pins before you start the journey and then start fresh. Once you finish mapping out your route, tapping on the "Efficiency" label would give you detailed stats on the journey that you just took. You can then choose to save that journey into either the green or purple save slots by pressing on the floppy disk icon. At that point, you can either reset the red pins by pressing on the trash icon, or just keep going to add more to the data set.
aaaaah, that makes a lot more sense.
Thanks.
I thought that it was pulling info from Tesla servers.

Ok feature request, can we have the pins displayed as a list instead of or as well as having the pins please?

Got the watch, got the app. This thing rocks.

I wish it had a nightly reminder ... if I didn't plug the car in, I want an alarm to go off at 9:00pm so I do plug it in. Yes I know, something about background something. :) I'm not technical. Just forgetful sometimes to plug in the car. Really great app.

- K

Do Apple Watch hey Siri type voice commands work with the app? I thought I had saw it in a video.
No. Some people have set up voice activation on their own using other programs which connect from their home computers to their MS, and then other devices (like Amazon Echo) not connected to an Apple Watch. Do some other searches in the Model S User Interface forum for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.