Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just submitted version 1.1 to the App Store. This is not the major 2.0 revision that I'm working on.

Hotfix update
- Fixed bug where km is displayed instead of miles for some users
- The app now attempts to query the Tesla servers every 5.1 seconds instead of every 15 seconds. This makes the app more responsive on both the handheld devices and the Apple Watch.
- The roof state is now represented by a ring around the button that corresponds to the state (e.g. if the roof is closed, the close roof button will have a ring around it - I tried the inverted button graphics, and it didn't really work, because the roof icon is kind of complex looking and the Apple method is more simplistic icons. When you see the new graphics, let me know what you guys think)
- Changed the labels of some of the buttons
- The location of the car now correctly updates and zooms in even if you're in the car stats page

This is just a quick update to fix the bugs in the first version. I don't want users to have to wait until I finish version 2.0 to get these bug fixes, so I'm going to fixed the bugs first. App update will be available approximately 8-9 days from today. This gives me time to make the major version 2.0 changes.

iOS Simulator Screen Shot May 17, 2015, 11.14.31 PM.png

Just installed it as well.

@regoapps - Can you please recap what you can do from the Watch? Here is what I have seen - am I missing anything:

Force touch on the first screen brings up a screen where you can start, honk, unlock or turn on HVAC.
Force touch on the charge screen lets you Wake up, flash lights, start charging and open/close port.
On the Charge screen you can change charge level.
On the HVAC screen you can change temps and control pano roof.
Force touch on the HVAC screen lets you turn on HVAC and vent or close roof.
Force touch from map screen lets you zoom out and turn tracking off.

Ideal range is not super useful, imho. I bet you could find something more useful for the screen real estate. It would be an expensive calculation, but distance to nearest SC might be interesting. You could make the distance green/yellow/red based on a percentage of estimated range.

Another possible feature that you should be able to implement using the web interface that you developed: scheduled top-off.

On a road trip, when charging overnight you may want to charge to 100%, but want to time the charge to complete as close to your departure for battery longevity and temperature reasons.

I typically do this by charging to 90% the night before, and then setting it to 100% an hour or so before departure. You could automate this. Unfortunately the requirement to leave the web page open probably doesn't make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Just installed it as well.

@regoapps - Can you please recap what you can do from the Watch? Here is what I have seen - am I missing anything:

Force touch on the first screen brings up a screen where you can start, honk, unlock or turn on HVAC.
Force touch on the charge screen lets you Wake up, flash lights, start charging and open/close port.
On the Charge screen you can change charge level.
On the HVAC screen you can change temps and control pano roof.
Force touch on the HVAC screen lets you turn on HVAC and vent or close roof.
Force touch from map screen lets you zoom out and turn tracking off.

You can also tap the map and it'll open up the Maps app where you can get directions to your car from your current location.

I'd appreciate it if you could enable upside down display. My phone often sits in a cup holder and the power cord prevents sitting it right side up.

Not a problem, but you might want to invest in a $5 suction cup and phone holder. I stick mine between the tablet and glove compartment. I feel safer looking down and to the right a bit rather than turning 90 degrees to look at my cup holder.

Ideal range is not super useful, imho. I bet you could find something more useful for the screen real estate. It would be an expensive calculation, but distance to nearest SC might be interesting. You could make the distance green/yellow/red based on a percentage of estimated range.

Another possible feature that you should be able to implement using the web interface that you developed: scheduled top-off.

On a road trip, when charging overnight you may want to charge to 100%, but want to time the charge to complete as close to your departure for battery longevity and temperature reasons.

I typically do this by charging to 90% the night before, and then setting it to 100% an hour or so before departure. You could automate this. Unfortunately the requirement to leave the web page open probably doesn't make it worthwhile.

Yea, I don't use ideal mi either. I wonder if anyone does? Distance to nearest SC would require me to have an active list of supercharger coordinates. Is there one available?

Yea, my inability to run tasks in the background stops me from doing fancy scheduling things unless the app is running all the time. But there might be some tricks to getting background tasks to run. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can figure it out. Geofencing is an exception. If the user location changes significantly, I can run a background task just fine. The real question is how to run a background task while the user is staying still. Also scheduling a local notification is fine, but to execute code, the user still must slide the notification for the app to "wake up". Apple has really made it difficult for apps to run background tasks without user interaction.

- - - Updated - - -

iPhone/iPad app: I apologize if I missed this: is the charger cable connection status shown as it is in the Tesla app?

If it's charging, the "charge" label turns green and says "charging" instead. Also, a message like "0 hr 15 minutes remaining" appears to let you know when the charging will be complete. And finally the "Charge On" button will now say "Charge Off". That's counter-intuitive, but in version 1.1, it'll say "Start Charge" and "Stop Charge" instead.

Quick Question before I buy this; I don't own (nor plan to buy) the watch, (I have an iPhone 6)

Will Camp Mode work forever if I set it?
How do I unset it? What if I close the app?
What if I turn off my phone or go out of cell service?

Looks like a good app, just wanted to verify before I bought it, as camp mode is my main reason for it.

Thanks

Quick Question before I buy this; I don't own (nor plan to buy) the watch, (I have an iPhone 6)

Will Camp Mode work forever if I set it?
How do I unset it? What if I close the app?
What if I turn off my phone or go out of cell service?

Looks like a good app, just wanted to verify before I bought it, as camp mode is my main reason for it.

Thanks

So, normally the climate control will stop after 30 minutes if you don't use the car. Once you start Camp Mode, you must keep the app open and your device on. The app automatically disables auto-lock while you're using it, so you don't have to play with auto-lock settings. Camp Mode stops when you turn it off, lock your device, or switch apps. If you lock the device or switch apps, you have less than 3 minutes to come back to the Remote S before Camp Mode is turned off. There's a countdown timer that displays and shows you when the next HVAC On command will be sent. If you see the timer running, Camp Mode is still on. This timer is set to run in a loop forever until you stop it. What I do is that right before I sleep, I turn on Camp Mode, set the brightness of the iPhone to 0%, plug the usb charger cable in, and then let the app handle the rest.

These are limitations put by Apple, because an app cannot run in the background for longer than 3 minutes.

So the answer your last question, you can't turn off your phone or go out of cell service, because both are necessary to keep the timer running. There might be a future update where this isn't necessary. It would require that I run a server that handles Camp Mode for you or any other scheduled task. There are several ideas I have to improve this app. What you see now is just the work of 2 weeks of time.

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that you can't set the AC to LO via the app, the lowest is 64. Is that an API limitation?

I will look into it and fix it if it's a bug. Right now I limit the lowest AC temp to 17 degrees Celsius. If there is in fact an even lower setting allowed by Tesla, I'll try to figure it out. Frankly I never set my AC that low before, so I didn't even know that it can go to LO.

Status
Not open for further replies.