Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove the 'Dislike' Button?

Should the 'dislike' button on forum posts be removed?

• The 'dislike' button should be removed

Votes: 79 39.7%
  • The 'dislike button should be retained

Votes: 120 60.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it's "disagree" now instead of "dislike". I just recently got a "disagree" on a 3-year-old post where I was saying what it had cost me have my rear quarter panel replaced. I can't imagine what about my post was found disagreeable, and of course, the user never posted to explain.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I guess it's "disagree" now instead of "dislike". I just recently got a "disagree" on a 3-year-old post where I was saying what it had cost me have my rear quarter panel replaced. I can't imagine what about my post was found disagreeable, and of course, the user never posted to explain.
Yes, those are my favorite kind of disagreements -- people who disagree with simple factual statements.

Do they disagree because they wish the facts were different? Do they challenge the accuracy of the statement? Do they agree the statement is factual but don't like people talking about it in public?

Who knows, because they can't be bothered to express their actual views with words so others can understand.

Reactions: GSP
Given your liberal use of using it and I have seen in the past you disagreeing with other posts without a reason, isn't so fun when the shoe is on the other foot now?

Really I don't care and don't even have any idea how many dislike/disagrees I have gotten. I just thought it was weird that somebody was unhappy that I explained why. Actually as I recall they made it sound like you should only do one or the other not both.

Really I don't care and don't even have any idea how many dislike/disagrees I have gotten. I just thought it was weird that somebody was unhappy that I explained why. Actually as I recall they made it sound like you should only do one or the other not both.
upload_2017-1-7_20-56-2.png

Hi. The user @MP3Mike is on my ignore list but keeps downvoting my messages in many threads. @doug, can you either

1. remove the dislike feature,
2. or disable votes from people on my ignore list,
3. or hide my messages from people on my ignore list.

The current situation encourages conflicts and discourages contribution. I guess I will use Trev's Tesla forum more.

Maybe it should be detuned even more?

In our family, we use the term 'interesting' or 'unusual' when we are a nice restaurant and something tastes terrible.

"That was a most interesting way to prepare salmon. I have never seen it run though a blender, blacked over a used tire fire, and seasoned with skunk fur."

The "dislike" already has been removed.

There's a "disagree" button now. It means you don't agree with the statement, not that you're attacking the person posting it.
I agree that is an improvement but I would still prefer to see the lazy “dis” button disappear entirely.

As Troy mentions, it tends to needlessly spread discord and disaffection. When someone is perturbed with a post I think it is preferable for them to disambiguate their disagreement by writing their own words.

I agree that is an improvement but I would still prefer to see the lazy “dis” button disappear entirely.

I think it has utility, it allows people to get an idea of the communities feelings for a post without reading all the following posts.

I think that if you remove the disagree button you should remove all of the buttons/ratings and not have any at all.

Reactions: EinSV
I think it has utility, it allows people to get an idea of the communities feelings for a post without reading all the following posts.

I think that if you remove the disagree button you should remove all of the buttons/ratings and not have any at all.

Because it's 2017! We should never consider thinking for ourselves, and leave that complex chore to the 'community'?

The Informative, Helpful, Like, actually serve a purpose:

Informative: Eliminates a reply of 'thanks, I didn't know that!'
Helpful: Eliminates a reply of 'That's what I was looking for! Thanks!'
Like: Eliminates a reply of 'That's what I was going to post! or You are right on the money!'
Funny: Eliminates a reply of 'I just spit coffee on my keyboard!'.

These cut down the number of posts in a thread and make a thread easy to read.

But what does a Dislike remove?

Helping to start an argument seldom cuts post counts.

Now, you can be REALLY Helpful to me, by giving me a Dislike. I collect them. First one to 1,000,000 Dislikes becomes President of the Screen Actors Guild, or Commissioner of the NFL, your choice.

• Love
Reactions: Max*
I disagree.

In my opinion, “agree” and “disagree” are not symmetric. If you “agree” it is generally understood as endorsing the entire post.

Because I don’t agree with the entire post, I would not click “agree” to:
Electric cars are awesome. Donald Trump is doing great things.

However, if I did agree with the entire post I might click “agree” if someone wrote:

“Electric cars are awesome. Elon Musk is doing great things.”

What if I were to click “disagree” instead?

Do I disagree with the awesomeness of electric cars? Or do I disagree with liking Elon? One or the other or both?

It’s unclear. It’s ambiguous. Readers would have to make possibly faulty assumptions about my intent.

If I feel perturbed enough, I should have to write my own words in order to say:

Elon Musk is doing great things with hydrocarbon-fueled rockets at SpaceX. Electric cars are a dead-end idea. Gasoline rules forever!

Of course, I don’t really think that (about electric cars or gasoline) but having to express my own words removes the confusion and ambiguity of what I disagree with. It leads to a higher quality discussion about specific items of dispute rather than bad feelings over possibly misinterpreted disagreeableness.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: markb1 and EinSV
Great example! EinSV “disagrees” with my last post. I have no idea how to interpret what that is intended to express.

Is EinSV just being disagreeable? Does EinSV think the agree and disagree buttons are symmetric? Should all the buttons be removed? Should they all be retained? Does EinSV agree that Donald Trump is doing great things?

I have no idea...

• Funny
Reactions: markb1 and Max*