Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rental Replacement P85D - Turo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1st post! Unfortunately it’s because my 2015 P85D was rear ended on 3/27/19. Low speed, stop and go... they were probably texting. Their insurance has already contacted me and claimed 100% liability - which is great news but only the beginning of making the situation right.

I’m wondering if anyone has been able to get a replacement rental of similar value or even a Tesla through TURO? If I’m gonna be without my car for weeks...months.. I don’t want to drive the Nissan centra they are trying to put me in.

Ive called the at fault parties insurance carrier (Allstate) and they said i could talk to the rental adjuster on Monday but would love to hear if anyone has had luck getting a similar vihcle of value or even a telsa through TURO already.

———————

Photos below are my baby, their civic, and a close up of the damage. His car seemed to hit the bumper bar and almost go under the aluminum bumper bar and hit frame (UGGGHHH)... Taking it into Gerber here in Dallas on Monday. They seem to be the best Certified place I can find at the moment.

Thanks in advance! Have a great rest of your weekend!

AA7AAB84-7DF5-4EF3-AF5E-92934483017A.jpeg
C2DE1367-30EA-40BD-9692-2C3E8E1EB0F4.jpeg
4B8F4016-A836-4BC1-B6D5-46B82AF6D3C9.jpeg

Yuck...Welcome to the club of dinged up Tesla's. I feel for ya man. Also, WELCOME TO TMC!

Tips:
1. Tesla Approved Body Shop ONLY
2. Insurance company will only give you a comparable size rental, not quality. I did however, get a Cadillac, which I hated.
3. If your car is driveable, you're lucky.
4. If your car isn't safe to drive, expect to be without it for 2 months if you're lucky...6 months if you're me.
5. Once the repairs are done, get an independent appraiser to do a diminished value claim. I paid $450 for my appraiser and got $5000 DV and half the cost of the appraisal from the insurance company.

You're not going to find a long term Turo rental for less than $150/day. Good luck getting insurance to pay anything more than $50/day.

Reactions: T3SLAUNCHED
Yuck...Welcome to the club of dinged up Tesla's. I feel for ya man. Also, WELCOME TO TMC!

Tips:
2. Insurance company will only give you a comparable size rental, not quality. I did however, get a Cadillac, which I hated.
4. If your car isn't safe to drive, expect to be without it for 2 months if you're lucky...6 months if you're me.
5. Once the repairs are done, get an independent appraiser to do a diminished value claim. I paid $450 for my appraiser and got $5000 DV and half the cost of the appraisal from the insurance company.

You're not going to find a long term Turo rental for less than $150/day. Good luck getting insurance to pay anything more than $50/day.

Gotcha! Thanks for the input! Weill post the damage report early next week.

P

Your Model S held up quite well. It will cost more to repair your Tesla than to replace the POS that rear-ended you.

My advice to Tesla owners is to get the maximum rental coverage your insurance company offers for any future incidents. Even if the rear-ender offender has none it will keep you from being stuck in a mobile penalty box like a Sentra.

At least a Leaf would be comparable in that it doesn’t need gasoline.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I tried getting Philadelphia Insurance to pay for gas in my rental but that was a no-go. I do appreciate that they gave me $70/day for a car which let me pick from pretty much anything Enterprise had to offer...except their Teslas. :oops: Those were $250/day!

Our 2015 P85D got rear ended a couple of months ago with similar damage too. I got estimates from 2 Tesla Certified auto body shops who both told me they were booked for a couple of months and it would take 2+ weeks for the repairs. Worse of all informed me the offenders insurance (State Farm who confirmed this) would not pay them 100% for their shop rates and I would be responsible for the shortfall. OUCH

Discovered that Tesla had an in house body shop 30 minutes away in Walnut. Called them and their estimator Josh said not only did they have all the parts in stock including the bumper, lower valance, chrome trim, but he could have the entire job complete in 3 days, could start the following week... and would handle the "supplement" with State Farm so I wouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket.

Dropped our P85D off and Josh at Tesla called 3 days later saying it would be ready for pickup late that afternoon. Then he called me 2 hours later apologizing profusely saying their painter had used the Model 3 "Pearl White" instead of the Model S "Pearl White"... but would have our bumper repainted and ready the following afternoon... which he did. Absolutely incredible!

Total cost was $2,038 and 4 business days from drop off to pick up. Hopefully your repair will turn out like ours. :cool:

Attachments

• Tesla 2037.97 Final Invoice P68946 Paul Supp OCR_Redacted.pdf
    131.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Your Model S held up quite well. It will cost more to repair your Tesla than to replace the POS that rear-ended you.

My advice to Tesla owners is to get the maximum rental coverage your insurance company offers for any future incidents. Even if the rear-ender offender has none it will keep you from being stuck in a mobile penalty box like a Sentra.

At least a Leaf would be comparable in that it doesn’t need gasoline.

It did hold up nicely! When I got out of the car and saw his bumper in the middle of the road and radiator coolant spraying everywhere, I feared mine was gonna be pretty bad. If you look up Tesla rear ended, there is a ton of images like this where the other vehicle is pretty much totaled yet minor telsa damage.

I’m going to speak to a “rental adjuster” at Allstate (at fault inusrere) and try to get something that I can drive clients around in. I probably sound superficial but If I want to charge top dollar for a job, I cant show up on location or drive my clients around in a centra.

I tried getting Philadelphia Insurance to pay for gas in my rental but that was a no-go. I do appreciate that they gave me $70/day for a car which let me pick from pretty much anything Enterprise had to offer...except their Teslas. :oops: Those were $250/day!

That’s not too bad. I feel like I may be able to get a gas stipend by the way the phone conversation went. Should get into the shop for estimates tomorrow.

Our 2015 P85D got rear ended a couple of months ago with similar damage too. I got estimates from 2 Tesla Certified auto body shops who both told me they were booked for a couple of months and it would take 2+ weeks for the repairs. Worse of all informed me the offenders insurance (State Farm who confirmed this) would not pay them 100% for their shop rates and I would be responsible for the shortfall. OUCH

Discovered that Tesla had an in house body shop 30 minutes away in Walnut. Called them and their estimator Josh said not only did they have all the parts in stock including the bumper, lower valance, chrome trim, but he could have the entire job complete in 3 days, could start the following week... and would handle the "supplement" with State Farm so I wouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket.

Dropped our P85D off and Josh at Tesla called 3 days later saying it would be ready for pickup late that afternoon. Then he called me 2 hours later apologizing profusely saying their painter had used the Model 3 "Pearl White" instead of the Model S "Pearl White"... but would have our bumper repainted and ready the following afternoon... which he did. Absolutely incredible!

Total cost was $2,038 and 4 business days from drop off to pick up. Hopefully your repair will turn out like ours. :cool:

Wow that’s epic. I emailed Tesla body shop support and didn’t get anywhere. Hopefully this Tesla certified place has a quick turn. I’m still driving it, but man it hurts seeing that bumper every time I think I forgot about it!

Tesla operates it's own in house body shop in Dallas Texas.

Body Shop Support

I saw that and emailed body shop support. They emailed back and said “Tesla does not do repairs at service centers”. Thinking to myself “DUH”.. so i dropped it.... However I just followed that link you provided and there was an email directly to the Dallas body shop -
[email protected] -. Just sent them an email!!! Would much rather get into an official Tesla shop - hopefully I’ll hear back manana. Step 38/500 completed haha

Reactions: Seven7
I saw that and emailed body shop support. They emailed back and said “Tesla does not do repairs at service centers”. Thinking to myself “DUH”.. so i dropped it.... However I just followed that link you provided and there was an email directly to the Dallas body shop -
[email protected] -. Just sent them an email!!! Would much rather get into an official Tesla shop - hopefully I’ll hear back manana. Step 38/500 completed haha

It's not that bad. When I got my first ModelS back in 2013 a little old man in a Saturn ran a stop sign and planted his car in my driver side door. Three months later I had my car back, the parts were available right away and the Tesla approved body shop had the estimate the next day, the major hurdle was the at fault drivers insurance company, Allstate.

Wow, which insurance covers 6 months of rental? After going though an accident and running into a limit after a month, I actually looked for a policy with higher rental limits but didn't find any, not even a supplemental rental policy of any kind.

Tips:

I just rented a 2018 MS 75D from Enterprise in Roswell GA for $75/day

• Helpful
Reactions: dbldwn02
Worse of all informed me the offenders insurance (State Farm who confirmed this) would not pay them 100% for their shop rates and I would be responsible for the shortfall.

This is why you absolutely need an Attorney.
If its not your fault, why do you have to pay?
Your Attorney then Sue's the insurance company until policy maximum is reached, then, your uninsured motorist takes care of the rest, and has the insurance company go after the driver.

You paid out of pocket for reasons you didnt have to, and saved the State Farm that amount.

The adjuster probably went secretly thank god he didnt have an attorney, because they would not have gotten away with this at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Seven7 and whitex
Your Attorney then Sue's the insurance company until policy maximum is reached, then, your uninsured motorist takes care of the rest, and has the insurance company go after the driver.

You paid out of pocket for reasons you didnt have to, and saved the State Farm that amount.

The adjuster probably went secretly thank god he didnt have an attorney, because they would not have gotten away with this at all.
When my wife got her S totalled by an uninsured DUI motorist, I spoke with an attorney and that is pretty much what he told me. Now, in my case the claim went relatively smooth and I negotiated a fair payout, so didn't have to get the attorney involved, but I would have had there been any sign of trying to shortchange me.

Sorry but I disagree. I didn’t need an attorney. I just made it clear in writing to State Farm they needed to pay the “supplement” since I provided them with 3 estimates from Tesla company + 2 Tesla Certified body shops (all within 10%). Then Josh at Tesla’s “in house” company body shop confirmed he’d gotten Stste Farm to pay 100% (i.e State Farm’s original computer generated estimate + Tesla’s supplement).

No need for an attorney who would have cost more money AND even worse more time. in my 36 years as a commercial real estate broker, regional brokerage company owner, and real estate investor, “Lawyering Up” almost always resulted in everybody spending more time and getting less money (except the attorneys).

So no, hiring an attorney to handle a ~ $2,000 insured auto claim would have been a bad choice... Unless experienced qualified attorneys are handling these cases on “no cost to plaintiff contingency” basis. Extremely unlikely.

FYI we love our attorney... who recommended I handle it exactly the way I did. Oh and the nice older gentleman who accidentally ran into us was grateful we minimized the cost too. Not getting an attorney was the right way to handle an “accident” by another responsible & insured driver. Pay It Forward. Someday you’ll probably cause an accident too.

Sorry but I disagree. I didn’t need an attorney. I just made it clear in writing to State Farm they needed to pay the “supplement” since I provided them with 3 estimates from Tesla company + 2 Tesla Certified body shops (all within 10%). Then Josh at Tesla’s “in house” company body shop confirmed he’d gotten Stste Farm to pay 100% (i.e State Farm’s original computer generated estimate + Tesla’s supplement).

No need for an attorney who would have cost more money AND even worse more time. in my 36 years as a commercial real estate broker, regional brokerage company owner, and real estate investor, “Lawyering Up” almost always resulted in everybody spending more time and getting less money (except the attorneys).

So no, hiring an attorney to handle a ~ $2,000 insured auto claim would have been a bad choice... Unless experienced qualified attorneys are handling these cases on “no cost to plaintiff contingency” basis. Extremely unlikely.

FYI we love our attorney... who recommended I handle it exactly the way I did. Oh and the nice older gentleman who accidentally ran into us was grateful we minimized the cost too. Not getting an attorney was the right way to handle an “accident” by another responsible & insured driver. Pay It Forward. Someday you’ll probably cause an accident too.
I will have to disagree on that one. Getting an attorney does not mean you actually sue someone and/or go to court, which I agree is expensive both in time and money, and in most cases really not worth it for $2,000. A good attorney will actually tell you that and try to persuade you not to do that. However, a quick consultation is worth it, if for no other reason to find out what your rights and options are, and any pitfalls to avoid - talking with a lawyer doesn't mean you're going to engage in legal action. You can do it on the cheap too, just purchase one of those monthly legal plans for sub $20/month with no commitment, and that will cover your consult with an attorney. Not only that, the attorney will even write a letter for you if needed, for no extra fee. I've dealt with few money situations in the past, one time simply providing the other party with the business card of the attorney made them pay what they owed (I was 16, my employer thought they could not pay me money I earned using some "hard times" excuse). In another case, a couple of legal letters to the company owing me money did the trick too. In most cases, it ends with just a quick conversation with an attorney, just to figure out what to do or not to do (for example in this case, the attorney might tell you that paying for the supplemental repairs yourself may put you at an disadvantage it it's interpreted as you agreeing to their settlement offer).

Last edited: