Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renter seeking charging for upcoming Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I recommend:

Do not say anything related to EV or charging station. Don't say anything about 'high power' or 240 Volt, or anything that remotely sounds like something special or big or expensive. It will just freak them out. Just say I need a power outlet at my parking spot. Most likely they don't have one available. Then your next step is saying, "I will pay for an electrician to install one'. If they ask why, make anything up (charging your power tools that you need for work, ...). This will much more likely get their consent. After all, they get a free outlet added to their garage once you move out. When you talk to the electrician you tell them you need a 14-50 outlet. They'll know what to do.

I love this advice, I'll try this with my current place. I love renting with them and would like to stay until I can purchase.

I am the landlord of a 1920s era duplex. When I bought the place, I had to upgrade its electrical "service" (the capacity of the wire from the pole to the meter) and it cost about $2000. Service upgrades HAVE to be done by a licensed electrician because there is no way for you to turn the power off from the pole. Each side of my duplex had 70 amp service, and I upgraded it to 150 amps per side. One caveat: in my house they had to put in a new line from the pole to the house, but sometimes you can upgrade just the meter. An electrician will know which.

That said, if the houses you are looking at are newer than that, there is a good chance that they have 200 amp service. If so, adding a circuit is just a matter of labor to get it from the breaker box to wherever the outlet needs to be. If you are seeing the place in person and can see the breaker box, open it up, look at the main breaker (it will be obviously way huger than the others) and it will have a number written on it. That's the "service" you have. Frankly, though, if you have an electric dryer outlet, there is probably a way to get at least 30 amp charging where you need it. I had not heard of that Dryer Buddy thing but it sounds like the possible solution.

• Informative
Reactions: treesandmore
You can use one of these:

This thing has a 50% chance of working in a typical garage. To work, one has to find two outlets that are on separate circuits that are connected to opposite bus bars in the circuit breaker panel, hence the 50% chance. If you know what you are doing, you can swap one of the breakers to the other bus so the two will be opposite (or have an electrician do it). A little more effort, but far better than running an extension cord into the house.

Do not go into the hardware store and ask for a 12 "godge" extension cord. The word is gauge and is pronounced "gayje". If you must use an extension cord, use the shortest possible so as to minimize line loss that would reduce the charge rate.

I would advise against it. It's akin to saying, "I installed an (50A equivalent) electrical range (2nd kitchen) in the garage and didn't tell you about it. Also it's also not up to code because I didn't bother pulling a permit. What do you mean I'm not getting my security deposit back?"
When I change it from "extreme fire danger" to "everything works great now," it's an improvement and I can sleep. Getting a permit has nothing to do with meeting electrical code. I'm not saying every Joe should play with electricity or modify rental property. A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

It's the worst market for renters in living memory.

How much would it cost to install it? 'It' being as far as I understand the same outlet a hot tub requires. Remember, I offer to pay.
That sucks, sorry. It's pretty insane in the Bay Area too. In my area, with permits it'll cost around $1,000 or more to install, and that's if you have room on the electric panel.

Honestly your best bet is to sell it as "I would love to make this modification in the future, but it's not a requirement" and see how that plays out. Once you're in and establish how good of a tenant you are, propose it again. You may just have to extension cord it from a 110v or use public charging in the meantime.

I am the landlord of a 1920s era duplex.
That said, if the houses you are looking at are newer than that, there is a good chance that they have 200 amp service.
Good point, but applies only if it's a large house newer than 1990s construction or remodel date. Even into the 1970s 100A main service was very common and "big" panels were 150A, but 60A main panels were still sold. Nowadays, 100A is the smallest main panel available and almost all new construction has 200A or larger.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Several times I've done electrical wiring upgrades at places where I was renting. I never asked permission, and nobody ever complained.

Having said that, I'm tentatively planning to sell my house soon, but I'm frightened of the rental market. I would hope to at the very least be able to plug in at level 1 at home, and make use of superchargers when I'm out to make up any shortcomings.

Thanks for your reply to my post. Myself, no way I would to non-landlord endorsed non-permitted electrical work, and be liable for it.

Watch the video, there's a UL stickered no electrical system rework needed way of getting a ~110V only structure (yielding 4-5 mph tops charge rate to Model 3), to do charging at ~220V (yielding 10-11 mph charge rate). No need to be frightened of rentals, but do take your voltmeter along before signing ;) .

I'm not sure what this means.

I'm looking at an ad. I call up the owner or management company. I offer to pay for any installation required. What exactly do I need to do - offer to have an electrician visit to inspect the system, then depending on the outcome decide if to rent it or not? In what circumstances would charging not be possible?

Or, if permission is given to charge an EV, rent the place (if I like it), and simply pay for an electrician to install whatever is needed?
Finding a rental that is already set up for EV charging will be almost impossible.

Finding a landlord (or worse, rental agent) who understands EV charging will likewise be almost impossible and given that it is easier for them to rent to the next guy in a hot market than to consider your request, asking for permission upfront is likely a non-starter.

I would suggest that you should look for a place based on location and amenities and during your visit, look at the circuit breaker panel. If it is Zinsco, Sylvania/GTE or FPE or Federal Pacific Electric, walk away because the wiring is unsafe throughout the house.

If it is not one of those bad panels, look at the breakers and see if there are any labeled 50 or 30 on their levers. If the stove is not electric, then look for the laundry area for a dryer plug. Also check out the garage for an existing dryer plug or welding outlet (something much larger than a normal duplex outlet) or even a 240V 12A outlet (same size as normal outlet but with two blades horizontal above the ground pin. If you find any of the above, you can charge at 240V - 40A, 24A or 12A.

Where is the panel? If close to the garage, and if there are unused breaker slots, then an additional 240V circuit for EV charging would be fairly inexpensive to add sometime after you have moved in. Take a clear picture of the panel to show to your favorite electrician for advice before signing the lease.

Ask what their policy is about you making modifications at your own expense like painting rooms, installing new curtains, etc. This will give you an idea how flexible they might be.

If you like the place and the management/landlord exhibits some flexibility and your electrician says that the panel can take a 240V breaker, then you could plan on moving in and later adding a charging outlet.

This thing has a 50% chance of working in a typical garage. To work, one has to find two outlets that are on separate circuits that are connected to opposite bus bars in the circuit breaker panel, hence the 50% chance. If you know what you are doing, you can swap one of the breakers to the other bus so the two will be opposite (or have an electrician do it). A little more effort, but far better than running an extension cord into the house.

Do not go into the hardware store and ask for a 12 "godge" extension cord. The word is gauge and is pronounced "gayje". If you must use an extension cord, use the shortest possible so as to minimize line loss that would reduce the charge rate.
I don't think it's smart or safe to recommend this to someone who doesn't know exactly what they are doing in their exact context and issues with ground resistance, different resistances on different phases, etc.

Ironically, finally got a normal - and nice! - reply from a landlord to a message I sent a couple of days ago. "Oh yeah no problem, do you need a 220V? if that doesn't exist I can install it".

Minor problem: there are 40 other applicants to this place...that's the current situation in the rental market.
It's weird, I have a small rental in NorCal. Tenants are a young family and the guy always asks me about my Tesla specifically and EVs in general when I'm there. Great renters to have. I've offered, on numerous occasions to install a charging outlet if he goes electric (from a Prius). No interest. He doesn't believe an EV would work for him or his wife. He's an accountant so I figure he's done the math and decided if it doesn't pencil out he's not gonna do it. Maybe when I pull up in my Model 3 he'll convert?
I just don't think enough renters are pushing on landlords.... yet.
Maybe us landlords need to push on the renters.... "you can only park in this driveway if your charging your EV".

Is that the realtor or a management company talking ? Either way, talk to the owner.

And explain that you need the use of a standard 240v outlet. When asked for more details say 14-50 outlet.

It was several different small property management companies that listed houses on craigslist. One dismissed me immediately, the other asked the owner and told me there's no interest. If they're the ones who list on craigslist, there's no way to bypass them.

I've now understood that it's (even) simpler than I thought and hopefully I can convey this better to landlords, using the lines you and others have suggested.

Reactions: ModelX
I think you're right - I'm making this harder than it is. I could feel myself doing it. The reason is that I don't understand the nitty gritty myself, and stumbled when trying to explain to potential landlords. That's why this thread is very helpful.
You still have some time before that new Model 3 shows up, so here is some light reading for you.
FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

Lots of good information in that FAQ. If you read that document you will then know what to look for when you are out looking at rentals.