Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair parts Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does Tesla give you a loaner in these situations?
No, Tesla doesn't have much to do with collision incidents. They only give loaners for service and warranty fixes. In fact, all car manufacturers work this way.

If you need a rental while your car is in the shop, your insurance policy (if you have rental car reimbursement) will pay for it. I know it sucks, but that's the truth.

My X got rear ended about the same time as the OP’s. Parts were ordered, but then I heard nothing from the body shop. After a month I called and found out the parts were in. Don’t know when they’d have told me if I hadn’t called.

Took Tesla in next day, and got it back looking like new two weeks later. Never expected a Tesla loaner.

Someone veered out of control on the freeway and smashed into the side of my Model X. I've been told by tesla that the assembly I'm missing (Right Side Assembly, I think most of the right side of the car) is just one week away, or two weeks away, for seven weeks now. I heard today that it will BE here on the 27th, that was after it will BE HERE on the 13th, and that was after it will BE HERE on the 7th, and so on. The wreck happened near the end of June, so I'm going in at like 9 weeks now? Probably 7 since the part has been ordered since I think it was July 2 for that part order.

I understand that sometimes parts, especially major ones like this, are hard to come up with. My issue lately has been that I feel like I'm constantly having a carrot dangled right infront of me with these parts always just a week or two away. If the parts won't be in until the end of September, they need to just tell me that and stop with this "Next week" nonsense. Like was said elsewhere, I paid a lot of money for this car, but now that they've got it I kind of feel like I'm being treated like a second class citizen and nobody at Tesla seems to care. Just more: "Oh don't worry sir, the part will be in stock next week"

jyybFaY.jpg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Someone veered out of control on the freeway and smashed into the side of my Model X. I've been told by tesla that the assembly I'm missing (Right Side Assembly, I think most of the right side of the car) is just one week away, or two weeks away, for seven weeks now. I heard today that it will BE here on the 27th, that was after it will BE HERE on the 13th, and that was after it will BE HERE on the 7th, and so on. The wreck happened near the end of June, so I'm going in at like 9 weeks now? Probably 7 since the part has been ordered since I think it was July 2 for that part order.

I understand that sometimes parts, especially major ones like this, are hard to come up with. My issue lately has been that I feel like I'm constantly having a carrot dangled right infront of me with these parts always just a week or two away. If the parts won't be in until the end of September, they need to just tell me that and stop with this "Next week" nonsense. Like was said elsewhere, I paid a lot of money for this car, but now that they've got it I kind of feel like I'm being treated like a second class citizen and nobody at Tesla seems to care. Just more: "Oh don't worry sir, the part will be in stock next week"

Ouch. Have you considered totaling it?

Got rearended in mid June. Went to authorized Tesla repair shop. Shop has been waiting for parts for two months fro Tesla. Really...two months! Is this the norm?

I would look a little deeper into what's actually causing the delay. We took our vehicle in to Service King (SK) in Gaithersburg over a month ago. The insurance agent was there along with the SK advisor. Parts were approved to be ordered on the spot by the insurance agent. SK wanted to keep the car right then and the insurance agent was smart enough to tell us to keep the car as the car was drivable and we only have 30 days of rental approved in our insurance plan. No point wasting the days waiting for parts to be delivered.

It's been over a month since we were at SK and I haven't received a call back. So, I checked with Tesla to get an update on our parts. If you email them with your VIN and approved repair shop, they'll provide you with shipping and itemized information for everything that was ordered.

Turns out the parts for my repair have been at SK for nearly two weeks already. The FedEx tracking information proves this. I haven't contacted them as I'm waiting to hear from them and see what they're going to tell me unprompted. I'm still not sure what to do with this information... sit tight, tell the insurance company to approve the repairs elsewhere, etc. I'll be sure to update as information is available.

My point is that unfortunately no one wants to accept the blame. So, we have to do some (very easy) digging to find out where the problem lies. I'm sure every case is different, but in my case Tesla has actually been the up front and honest part of the issue.

Repair shops blame parts companies because they say they're not allowed to order something if they're unsure it will be needed. Unfortunately, car repairs seem to come in two phases. One to start and deal with the cosmetic issues. The other is once the panels are open and they're able to see any structural or deeper repairs that need to be addressed. For us, the 2 week parts delay comes into play here as you're waiting for parts twice. There should be a smarter, more honest, way of ordering everything you think you'll need and not being liable for sending back parts that weren't opened and didn't need to be used in the repair. Unfortunately, like all business, it's a game.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nilnoc
My parked X was front ended at work on 8/23 and towed to the approved body shop the next day. Approx $10k in damage with front bumper and hood replacement. Surprisingly the Initial estimate from the body shop and insurance was that we’d be back with the car on 9/21 but a week ago we were told 10/28 or later because parts are backordered. We called Tesla though and they looked up all the parts on file for our order and as of today everything has been delivered except for the hood which Tesla said is escalating and will expedite delivery within 48 hours. Seems like with enough follow up between Tesla and the body shop the process nudges along.

I'm curious if any of the folks here with parts delays have tried talking to the Tesla Body Shop Support folks (Body Shop Support). I heard from a couple of places that they're turning parts around much faster now if you give them a call, so I'd be interested to hear about any firsthand experience.

I've got some parts being ordered right now, though the shop is dragging its feet (they won't preorder on insurance approval, they're insisting they need a physical check from the insurance company in hand before doing so - I wonder if they've gotten burned by insurance or are having cash flow issues, because that sounds a bit strange to me). Once the order is placed, you can be sure I'm going to be hounding Tesla to get those parts in. Whether that'll do any good or not remains to be seen...

It's definitely faster than before. Our repair center ordered front end parts, hood, and a side mirror that all came in less than 2 weeks. Body Shop Support gave me all the tracking information to verify. Unfortunately, that repair shop no longer has a Tesla certified technician! SMH. Trying to see if I can get the work done at another shop now. Waiting to hear back from insurance. Tesla is even willing to have the car looked at in the Owings Mill location (1 of 8 Tesla Locations already doing repairs in the US?)

Yes after hearing of the parts delays from the body shop I contacted Tesla Body Shop support and they were transparent and helpful in letting me know the status of the parts pending. They worked to expedite delivery of some of the backordered items but i'm curious as to how longer we would have to wait if Tesla Body Shop support was not in the picture.

I'm curious if any of the folks here with parts delays have tried talking to the Tesla Body Shop Support folks (Body Shop Support). I heard from a couple of places that they're turning parts around much faster now if you give them a call, so I'd be interested to hear about any firsthand experience.

I've got some parts being ordered right now, though the shop is dragging its feet (they won't preorder on insurance approval, they're insisting they need a physical check from the insurance company in hand before doing so - I wonder if they've gotten burned by insurance or are having cash flow issues, because that sounds a bit strange to me). Once the order is placed, you can be sure I'm going to be hounding Tesla to get those parts in. Whether that'll do any good or not remains to be seen...

We waited just over four months as our headliner was flopping around above us. Tesla tried to blame the problem on our 2-channel dash cam installs. However, they weren't even purchased, much less installed, when the X first went into the SC to see if they could beat the thing back up into shape.

Yes after hearing of the parts delays from the body shop I contacted Tesla Body Shop support and they were transparent and helpful in letting me know the status of the parts pending. They worked to expedite delivery of some of the backordered items but i'm curious as to how longer we would have to wait if Tesla Body Shop support was not in the picture.

Hi, I recently had a bad front-end collision. Just received insurance company's approval for repairs and they are now towing the car to an approved Tesla body shop in San Francisco. Question, when you contacted Tesla Body Shop support, what information did you provide in order to look up the order status?