Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace charger port socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody, is it possible to change the charing port socket from nacs to ccs if yes does it require more parts than the socket it self? 1490374-20-C

Attachments

• IMG_5738.jpeg
    IMG_5738.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 10
Hello everybody, is it possible to change the charing port socket from nacs to ccs if yes does it require more parts than the socket it self? 1490374-20-C
Yes i do have CCS enabled on the car
The setup for this question doesn't make sense to me. What is this car? Your location says you are in Denmark, so all of the European cars already have the CCS2 charge ports in them. Why do you have a car in Europe with the NACS port? Was this imported from the United States or something?

Another issue with this is that if it is a North American imported car, the internal charger is not configured to use 3 phase electricity. So using the Mennekes Type2 plug from public charging stations that are 3 phase will not be able to use all three phases, and I'm not sure if they would even work at all, since it wasn't intended to have a CCS2 port.

I don't believe that that option will work in Belgium (where OP appears to be). EU uses CCS2, which will not fit the adapter you pointed out.
Hmm... maybe I got confused by another thread. I thought the OP's location was "Belgie", which I understood to be Belgium. Nevertheless, Denmark is also in the EU so my initial post should still be correct :) .

You're not understanding his question. He wants to replace the charge port on a car that has the Tesla North American port to a European CCS2 port.
Agreed, I'm missing something.

He wants to be able to plug a CCS2 plug into his car, but he can't because it has a NACS port. My thinking: instead of replacing the port, why not just buy a CCS2 to NACS adapter? He can use it at home. He can use it on trips.

That seems simpler and cheaper and only slight klunky.

Reactions: father_of_6
Agreed, I'm missing something.

He wants to be able to plug a CCS2 plug into his car, but he can't because it has a NACS port. My thinking: instead of replacing the port, why not just buy a CCS2 to NACS adapter? He can use it at home. He can use it on trips.

That seems simpler and cheaper and only slight klunky.
That's why I posted the correct adapter upthread.
Yeah, except that only solves half of the problem. With having the car in Europe, one would want to be able to use both AC charging and fast DC charging, right? That is what a CCS2 port in the car gives you--it can receive either kind of plug.. You can plug a Mennekes (Type 2) charging plug into the car's port natively, without an adapter.

Yeah, except that only solves half of the problem. With having the car in Europe, one would want to be able to use both AC charging and fast DC charging, right? That is what a CCS2 port in the car gives you--it can receive either kind of plug.. You can plug a Mennekes (Type 2) charging plug into the car's port natively, without an adapter.
The adapter I posted claims to work on AC also, the upper half alone is Type 2. I don't know how, or if, it deals with 3 phase however, that is an issue in either case.

The setup for this question doesn't make sense to me. What is this car? Your location says you are in Denmark, so all of the European cars already have the CCS2 charge ports in them. Why do you have a car in Europe with the NACS port? Was this imported from the United States or something?

Another issue with this is that if it is a North American imported car, the internal charger is not configured to use 3 phase electricity. So using the Mennekes Type2 plug from public charging stations that are 3 phase will not be able to use all three phases, and I'm not sure if they would even work at all, since it wasn't intended to have a CCS2 port.
My undertanding is that the charger itself is the same unit in NA and the EU. In EU cars, three phase charging is done by connecting each of the three phases one of the three modules in the charger. This is one of the reasons why our NA chargers even HAVE three modules in them instead of just one higher powered one. The Mennekes plug having L1, L2, L3 and N, the adapter to an NACS (or a Type 1) plug connects one hot and the neutral to the L1 and L2 pins, enabling single phase charging only.

For single phase Type 2 EVSEs, it's never been clear to me whether the EVSE connects the same phase to all three hots in the plug, or whether the car has switching that connects the single phase to all three modules that so it can charge from the single phase at greater than 16a, though I suspect the latter.

So, it may be possible to replace the port and ECU without changing the actual charger to support the CCS2 inlet. A lot of salvaged NA cars get exported to eastern European countries, so I suspect that there are people who know the ins and outs of this very well.

My undertanding is that the charger itself is the same unit in NA and the EU. In EU cars, three phase charging is done by connecting each of the three phases one of the three modules in the charger. This is one of the reasons why our NA chargers even HAVE three modules in them instead of just one higher powered one. The Mennekes plug having L1, L2, L3 and N, the adapter to an NACS (or a Type 1) plug connects one hot and the neutral to the L1 and L2 pins, enabling single phase charging only.

For single phase Type 2 EVSEs, it's never been clear to me whether the EVSE connects the same phase to all three hots in the plug, or whether the car has switching that connects the single phase to all three modules that so it can charge from the single phase at greater than 16a, though I suspect the latter.

Same basic guts of the part, yes. It's been that way for many years, but they are really wired differently internally somehow, so they aren't just instantly switchable. The version of the charger in the North American cars also has the same 11 kW total power processing, but is only configured to be able to take a single phase source that runs through the three modules. It's not set up to switch to be able to process separate three phase like the ones in the European cars.

And it does lead to that frustration for European owners, why they can't use high power levels on single phase, because their chargers are configured for separated three phase, or effectively only getting to use one third of their charger if it's single phase.

I do think that's an area where it would be nice if Tesla added some complication to provide some kind of internal switching so it could change the configuration of the three modules to be for single or three phase at max capacity on either.

I don't think that's been true for some time. At least not with a Tesla wall connector.
What does that have to do with a wall connector? It's because of the internal chargers inside the car not being configured to accept high amounts of current on a single phase, because it can't spread out a single phase input across all three segments of the charger. There have been threads on this.

Post in thread '16A Restriction in Private Household? (Europe)' 16A Restriction in Private Household? (Europe)

I stand corrected. Both the Type 2 Gen 2 UMC and Gen 3 wall connectors support 7.4 kW max, 32A@230V single phase charging:

UMC (see page 5 and 6) - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ocs/gen_2_umc/Gen2_Mobile_Connector_en_EU.pdf
WC (page 10) - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/support/charging/Gen_3_Wall_Connector_Manual_UK.pdf

On page 10, the WC manual clearly says 7.4kW max on single phase, 32A@230V and 22.1kW max on 3 phase, 32A@400V (wye/star - I'm ignoring 3 phase delta connections), BUT, the max draw of any European Tesla is 7.4kW single phase, 11kW 3 phase:

So there's either some way that they get to use at least two of the modules at once, or the charger really is different.

Huh, that is some more interesting additional information.
So there's either some way that they get to use at least two of the modules at once, or the charger really is different.
That's not "either/or", it appears to be both. They are made different, as indicated by the 7.4 kW limit on the European cars, versus 11 kW limit on North American cars. And it does seem to be using two of the three modules instead of all three like the North American ones do. So if they can reconfigure to pass single phase onto more than one module, why only two instead of all three?

I wouldn't think it would be easy, as it would likely require changing all of the wiring between the charger and the charge port. (I'm pretty sure that AC and DC charging are on different cables on a CCS2 spec vehicle, where a NACS vehicle AC and DC share the same 2 cables.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H