Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement for Model S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d love to hear an argument for the order of the following being added to the S…
  1. 48v
  2. Megacasting
  3. Structural battery pack
Any/all of those things would seem to require a very extensive refresh if not an outright total redesign. I personally wouldn't expect any of them for at least several years.

48V component availability is going to need time to scale and mature, and Tesla's going to be dumping every bit they can produce into the ElonTruck for the foreseeable future.

Megacasting would seem to be a fairly significant architectural change to the overall platform.

Same with structural pack - and again, Tesla is going to be dumping every 4680 cell they can make into the Bro Dozer for the next several years. Not to mention that the 4680 cells themselves appear to be turds and way behind the expected development curve...

Any/all of those things would seem to require a very extensive refresh if not an outright total redesign. I personally wouldn't expect any of them for at least several years.

48V component availability is going to need time to scale and mature, and Tesla's going to be dumping every bit they can produce into the ElonTruck for the foreseeable future.
I believe they originally planned structural pack and 48V for Plaid so these designs are well on their way. This time they will try to switch without production shutdown, lesson learned.

What I’d personally want in an updated S goes against Tesla’s ethos at this point. They’re moving towards cheaper, automated. Removing more and more of the driving experience. I like and intend to drive my own car. I want premium components. I don’t want plastic hub caps etc
Same. I like the Plaid, but I can't see myself upgrading to a future Tesla with the current direction the company is taking. I'm hoping I can ride this out for 4-5 years, and hopefully by then I'm in the position to buy a Taycan (or if Lucid survives until then, maybe see what they're doing at that point).

I think the S is still a great looking car. It seems like one of those designs that age pretty well. Just my opinion.

I think the problem is that it's really hard to justify the cost of an S over a 3. Maybe Tesla should try to make the S into a halo car since I don't know if the new roadster is even going to happen. At least beef up the interior quality.
at the current 74k pricing the model s appears to be quite a value compared to the competition. I do however understand your point.

Reactions: Hank42 and Carsly2
I feel like Tesla build quality hasn't been getting a lot better either. And their service centers/customer service, repair wait times and costs have been insanely horrible.

They are still the value king for price per range/horsepower but I'm getting to the point where I don't care about extreme performance and I want all the other intangibles to be there.

The Macan EV looks promising, the EQXX Mercedes looks promising.

BMW EV's have been outperforming their EPA ranges while Tesla has been underperforming and cutting expectations.

I think other brands have caught up, especially if they can use the Supercharger network.

I feel like all the features Tesla keeps adding are negatives for me(yoke, touchscreen instead of buttons/stalks, more screens everywhere, more cameras and automated stuff, extreme horsepower versions). I really don't think they need to go downmarket from the Model 3 either.

I just can't seem to get excited about any new car. My 2013 Model S just seems as good or better in a lot of ways than 2024 offerings. Going from 260 miles of range to 360 just isn't enough for me to go out and spend a fresh $80k.

I kinda think Toyota played this whole long game perfectly. Skip the first gen lithium ion ultra heavy ultra expensive generation and skip to solid state batteries and come to market 15 years late. I think we're going to see a *sugar* load of lightly used heavily depreciated EV's in the next few years.

Push comes to shove the BMW IX looks like a bargain used. Great reviews and a lot cheaper than Model S or X.

I really didn't think we'd be this stagnant in EV tech 12 years after the Model S was released. It was like a giant leap back then... and we're still basically at the same point.

The Ramcharger with its range extender is actually a pretty cool idea. The new Charger looks special. I'm more excited about those 2 products than anything else. Tesla is kinda off my radar if the next 10 years of Tesla is economy mini model, Model Y refresh, Cybertruck refresh and Roadster.
Not sure where you’re seeing a “bargain” with an ix. Used ones with between 8-18k miles are still in the high 60s to mid 70s and are lower in range and power and still more expensive than I bought my 2022 MS for (64k) and my car had 12k miles.

I believe it was at least a prototype...but then the reality of battery production kicked in and they made the excuse that you cannot make a fast car with a 500 mile battery...
That was my guess as well. Elon willed it into existence and I'm sure someone likely pushed back and they quickly realized they could never bring it to production. I had a reservation down for the Plaid+ and they canceled it. Offered me the Plaid but at a higher price than if I had reserved the Plaid at the original order date. They finally agreed to backdate the reservation but decided to cancel. I'm happy with the Long range now anyway for $30,000+ less.

Reactions: Tiger
That was my guess as well. Elon willed it into existence and I'm sure someone likely pushed back and they quickly realized they could never bring it to production. I had a reservation down for the Plaid+ and they canceled it. Offered me the Plaid but at a higher price than if I had reserved the Plaid at the original order date. They finally agreed to backdate the reservation but decided to cancel. I'm happy with the Long range now anyway for $30,000+ less.

Yeah, I got the Model 3 LR ;) If they drop the X LR to $70k and Plaid to $80k I might plunge.

Reactions: MOD3LR and dsm363