Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reports of upcoming V11 fixes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what about 'dialing' a phone or 'hanging up' on someone

Well yes but that's just what we say. Phones dont have dials any more .. language of course lags technology, which was my point. When the cooling system was controlled by cables fed to the various levers etc in the dash, then it made sense to have the various defog stuff there. It makes no sense to keep it there today when that restriction has been removed. It's what psychologists call "retained behavior" .. doing something because it was once useful even though the rational for doing it has long since gone.

And I just "typed" this message, even though I'm not using a typewriter, on a "keyboard" that is composed of neither keys nor boards. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Darmie
Well yes but that's just what we say. Phones dont have dials any more .. language of course lags technology, which was my point. When the cooling system was controlled by cables fed to the various levers etc in the dash, then it made sense to have the various defog stuff there. It makes no sense to keep it there today when that restriction has been removed. It's what psychologists call "retained behavior" .. doing something because it was once useful even though the rational for doing it has long since gone.

And I just "typed" this message, even though I'm not using a typewriter, on a "keyboard" that is composed of neither keys nor boards. :)
I’m losing interest really quickly on this topic. 😢

what I don’t really understand is why they added features back to the top navigation but only if you’re in park. They need to add more direct access options and not require you to navigate through submenus. It just seems really unsafe from a driving perspective.

Reactions: Boza
I've seen two references to them adding the dashcam icon to the available custom icons at the bottom as part of the latest update. I've had that button available since the original V11 version. Is there a different button being added or did someone with the new update forget it was already there in the previous version?

My biggest issue with V11 is the way they allow different UI elements to cover each other up. If I have my trip energy usage screen up then my next nav turn moves to the bottom left. If I have my turn signal on, the blind spot camera covers the nav prompt. Likewise, when using the phone, if you need to hang up while waiting in a turn lane with the signal on, you have to dismiss the blind spot camera first to get back to the phone controls.

I really wish the screen could be set up with dedicated areas for more compact controls... nav always in this corner, climate always in that corner, audio always in the other corner. The screen is big enough to show a lot more info without having to toggle between functions. They could still keep it customizable for people who prefer less controls and a simpler screen.

The move to show some icons only in park is probably a good idea. There is generally no reason for disabled icons to be on the screen. AFAIK the theater and games icons aren't functional in drive so why show them on the menu when not in park? Hopefully the whole customized bottom menu will eventually have a drive mode and a parked mode where we can select different shortcuts.

They were probably working on the car color for quite some time. Take a breath -- they did add back some of the icons and the supercharger button. It's not fixing everything but it seems like they'll get there.

I wonder why some of the services (icon’s) they brought back require you to be in PARK to quickly chance at them while IN MOTION? But it’s a partial fix, hopefully there are more tweaks coming.

I’m losing interest really quickly on this topic. 😢

what I don’t really understand is why they added features back to the top navigation but only if you’re in park. They need to add more direct access options and not require you to navigate through submenus. It just seems really unsafe from a driving perspective.
There are some things you do while in park but never (or almost never) do/use while driving. Driver profiles and games are two that come to mind. It makes perfect sense to have the driver profile disappear once the car is in drive.

Conversely it made no sense to hide it because it was often the first thing you needed to access when you got in the car.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Some one mentioned two sets of icons available one for when you are in drive and other when you are parked. I really like that idea. Auto switch between two modes. But also keep customization so each driver can set up both mods to their likings.

Reactions: OxBrew
Voice command is your best friend. I use it all the time.
I do too, but as others have noted, it doesn't work when you're on the phone or if there is a lot of ambient noise - backseat drivers, for example :cool: While they are certainly convenient, they aren't really a replacement for an easy-to-use, intuitive UI. I like the V11 UI but would like the option to put a lot more icons on the bottom, including the heaters.

There are some things you do while in park but never (or almost never) do/use while driving. Driver profiles and games are two that come to mind. It makes perfect sense to have the driver profile disappear once the car is in drive.

Conversely it made no sense to hide it because it was often the first thing you needed to access when you got in the car.
That seems to make sense, at first glance. But I like to be able to adjust the seat, wait a few minutes, then decide if I want to save or revert. Right now (still on v10) I can tap my name and hit save, etc. I have an old back injury, and it helps to change position a few times an hour.

And yeah, at the end of the day NBD, just keep moving the seat around, whatever.

Oh, BTW, even with all my friendly critiques of the UI around the edges, this car is still 100x better than anything else. Just rode in my friend's newer Audi, maybe 3-4 years old? Felt like a steam train by comparison. Just to benchmark my comments.

and +1 on the idea of different custom tray sets for driving and parked. Add one more: driving in winter vs summer.

• Love
In all previous cars it was the passenger’s (ie the wife, occasionally me) job to do the defrosting when they notice the windscreen fogging up. Despite having a dedicated button, it’s not always easy to find the right one while driving.
Now I just use voice control (turn on the defroster, dear...just kidding 😀).
I’m surprised at the amount of Luddites who drive Teslas

In all previous cars it was the passenger’s (ie the wife, occasionally me) job to do the defrosting when they notice the windscreen fogging up. Despite having a dedicated button, it’s not always easy to find the right one while driving.
Now I just use voice control (turn on the defroster, dear...just kidding 😀).
I’m surprised at the amount of Luddites who drive Teslas
I have 20% LTE coverage on my daily and long distance driving. I use VC whenever I can. I laugh at how wrong it gets my requests when there's spotty coverage.

While v11 doesn’t really bother me, I still question some of the stupid design decisions they made. One of them being the blue/grey button inconsistency. It occurred to me today that perhaps the grey means that the feature is enabled but may be on or off depending on the circumstances. For instance, the seat heater and wiper Auto buttons are grey, which maybe means they are enabled but will turn on and off when needed. The climate Auto button is blue. Maybe that’s because it’s always on and just adjusting the temperature.

Sorry if already discussed, just haven’t seen much talk around the reason. And maybe I’m completely wrong.

Always fun trying to get in the heads of these UI designers.

I do too, but as others have noted, it doesn't work when you're on the phone or if there is a lot of ambient noise - backseat drivers, for example :cool: While they are certainly convenient, they aren't really a replacement for an easy-to-use, intuitive UI. I like the V11 UI but would like the option to put a lot more icons on the bottom, including the heaters.
Agree on giving us an ability to put more icon on the bar. I can see that feature coming soon. My take, Tesla is working on App Store and this overhaul of the UI is part of that bigger effort.