Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reputation points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't put too much stock in reputation points. I've been meaning to revamp that system for a while. With everything else going on, however, it remains a low priority.

Doug, if you do, I hope there's a similar indicator. rep is not perfect barometer, but I find very useful. I follow a lot of threads, and I can usually count on high rep/post ratio members to be either informative or entertaining.

I wouldn't put too much stock in reputation points. I've been meaning to revamp that system for a while. With everything else going on, however, it remains a low priority.
Are you going to put the proposed changes up for discussion? Or is this going to be like a firmware update from Tesla - you get the notification, you don't know what version you'll get, the release notes tell you nothing and then you try to figure out what's changed? :)

Are you going to put the proposed changes up for discussion? Or is this going to be like a firmware update from Tesla - you get the notification, you don't know what version you'll get, the release notes tell you nothing and then you try to figure out what's changed? :)

That figuring out bit is the best part of it, I hope it stays

I am not talking about the car

Doug, if you do, I hope there's a similar indicator. rep is not perfect barometer, but I find very useful. I follow a lot of threads, and I can usually count on high rep/post ratio members to be either informative or entertaining.

Perhaps that indicator that you mention helps you in filtering posts out quickly, but such tool cuts both ways. That indicator might facilitate screening out (discrimination against) very sound post(ers). People get points for al sorts of reasons so the indicator you mention is not a good gauge of anything, in particular.

My preference is to evaluate every single post on its own merits.

Great advantage of anonymity of posters on a internet forum is that a poster, when arguing, can not lean back on usual crutches that some privileged people lean back on in physical reality. There are no levels of authority, there is no skin color, no ethnicity, no gender, no social status, no one is taller or better looking or with a deeper voice than the rest. All these attributes are often used as quite effective communication tools that work wonders for people that have these tools. Possession of these tools gives them an unfair advantage over others in a single discussion. Hence introducing attributes to socially differentiate posters on an anonymous forum carries a risk of facilitating unfair discrimination.

If there is nothing people can lean on when making arguments, then they only have their wits, clarity and coherence as a tool. A tool that gets used most often becomes shiny and sharpened.

On the counter side, I do like reputation points system. I find it fun and I think it adds value in some ways. The rules are not so obvious, people need to try to start threads to figure stuff out about the system. It is like a social game and games are so much fun.

The system also helps to encourage desired behaviors (majority rule). For me personally the best bit about the points is that most people are happy to receive points, so why take that away from them. Perhaps getting points on internet forum is not much, but any micro happiness distribution system deserves a bit of thought before being axed or changed.

Perhaps if the system stays but the bars were made invisible to all but the poster, or visible intermittently, or visible selectively, or only after reaching certain threshold, etc etc. based on some clever rules, we may get even more fun.

Last edited:
That is just wrong. Gender is somewhat obvious here for many people. Wild guess... tomas might be male, bonnie could be female.
And of course many tools of status are available. Fluency in English, training in math and logic, experience in rhetoric, knowledge in science.
We even have people who use their good looks... Look at all the avatars of attractive people or cars

Oh man. My avatar is a squirrel driving a nut mobile... this just keeps getting worse!

I'll be here all week!

Hey Squirrel, I think as a Koala I can claim higher social status than you, at least in Australia:wink: Not so sure about this car forum, car is our common enemy:-(

This is for Squirrels:

The species is threatened by humans clearing and breaking up their habitats. It also has predators of dogs, cats, foxes, and owls. This causes the species to be put on the Near Threatened list, meaning it is close to being a threatened species.

And this is for me:

Koalas are in serious decline suffering from the effects of habitat destruction, domestic dog attacks, bushfires and road accidents.
Hence I am protected under the NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act, 1995.

babycoala.jpg

reputation points...

it's a anonymous forum. about cars.

i mean, i give reputation points as my way of saying 'thanks!" , in fact they're more 'likes' than anything. that's it.

are ppl really invested in them? im quite curious, from an anthropological POV

reputation points...

it's a anonymous forum. about cars.

i mean, i give reputation points as my way of saying 'thanks!" , in fact they're more 'likes' than anything. that's it.

are ppl really invested in them? im quite curious, from an anthropological POV

Speaking for myself only, not sure about anyone else

Not invested in points, but invested in TSLA. High stakes = high interest in this forum, as it is quite informative on both the car and the stock

• Particularly informative
  • Helpful to another member, especially to a new member
  • Inclusive of all forum members
  • Rational response to an emotional post, trying to diffuse the situation
  • Role-modeling (like someone saying they were wrong or apologizing to another member, without drama)
  • A post that lightens up an emotional thread (see above, 'trying to diffuse the situation')
  • elicits an actual lol

Speaking for myself only, not sure about anyone else

Not invested in points, but invested in TSLA. High stakes = high interest in this forum, as it is quite informative on both the car and the stock

Along the same lines, when I see someone post something in the TSLA forum that took a while to build or compile (i.e.: a TA graph with editing), I want that person to know that I appreciated their effort and give out reputation points.