Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale values plummeted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sold my 2021 MYP white/white with 12k miles on Monday for 67k.

Got quotes from some local dealers, carmax, givemethevin, carbuyersusa, etc. etc.

The top offer came from driveway.com, which is owned by Lithia. They offered 67k and never looked at the car. They said it'd be 2 weeks before they could come get it, so I called up the local Ithia dealership. They said bring it in and we'll have the paperwork ready.

Pretty smooth process, picking up a new MYP next week. Glad to be upgrading to the new chip and decided to go for red this time. Costing me ~3k for new model year, some upgrades, 0 miles, and red paint.

Got quotes from some local dealers, carmax, givemethevin, carbuyersusa, etc. etc.

The top offer came from driveway.com, which is owned by Lithia. They offered 67k and never looked at the car. They said it'd be 2 weeks before they could come get it, so I called up the local Ithia dealership. They said bring it in and we'll have the paperwork ready.

Pretty smooth process, picking up a new MYP next week. Glad to be upgrading to the new chip and decided to go for red this time. Costing me ~3k for new model year, some upgrades, 0 miles, and red paint.
Will you have to pay capital gain tax on that?

I might want to take delivery of the new MYP before selling the previous as there's a chance of being denied for flipping.

Reviving this a bit. Has anyone noticed Tesla Vroom inventory is rising fairly quickly and they've really slowed down on their offers to buy? They just offered us 46k on a 2022 Model 3 LR with 500 miles. I had to call them up after a few days and ask why they never offered a price. Clearly they don't need it but would be willing at 46k to buy it.

Reviving this a bit. Has anyone noticed Tesla Vroom inventory is rising fairly quickly and they've really slowed down on their offers to buy? They just offered us 46k on a 2022 Model 3 LR with 500 miles. I had to call them up after a few days and ask why they never offered a price. Clearly they don't need it but would be willing at 46k to buy it.
Everyone is trying to profit from the current situation. The supply eventually catches up to the demand, etc.

New prices have basically caught up to the used market. There is a max price where buyers simply will not longer purchases.
I don’t expert used to keep increasing in concert.
I also don't expect used to drop anymore. In fact I suspect they may go up by 1k or so.

The wait time for a MYLR is absurd now if you opt to forgoe FSD. MYP is much better... but you need to pay a delivery fee of over $1k... so that's effectively $69k. Plenty of people would pay a healthy bit to get one now.... as ridiculous as that is.

Vroom, Carvana, CarMax, Shift, all have algorithms they use to make their pricing offers. As their inventory of a certain model/trim goes up, the prices go down. You've got to find the sweet spot where your offer peaks. I sold my 2019 Lexus GX460 to Carvana in November right when I saw the value peak. They basically paid me what I'd paid for it new two years prior. Now with the price of gas going crazy, I bet they have a higher inventory, and the price offers on those thirsty V8's are plummeting.

Yes, took 3 days for them to get back to me. Offer went from 65500 (end of january) on a 2021 MYP to 56000 (early march) - was 5000 miles vs 7000 miles too

Wow, that's a horrid offer. However, with their growing inventory, I bet they are getting slightly nervous and that offer makes sense, sort of. I bet all the rumors of Austin producing "better" cars doesn't help either. I received 62k back in late January for my 2021 MYLR.