Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Family member is not going to get the Model Y they reserved and wants to pass their reservation to me. Since reserving last year they have since got Tesla solar and now have their solar and their reservation in their Tesla account/app. Can this reservation be transferred or must they lose it?

Family member is not going to get the Model Y they reserved and wants to pass their reservation to me. Since reserving last year they have since got Tesla solar and now have their solar and their reservation in their Tesla account/app. Can this reservation be transferred or must they lose it?
If it's a close family member (ie someone you trust), they can still have it under their account, but input/change registration info to your info. Then when you take possession of the car, they can remove the car from their Tesla account and you can add it to yours.

Reactions: voxel
If it's a close family member (ie someone you trust), they can still have it under their account, but input/change registration info to your info. Then when you take possession of the car, they can remove the car from their Tesla account and you can add it to yours.
Keeping the vehicle in their account and having them input my info for the registration wouldn't be an issue if I am financing right? I don't even think they have enter any registration info. Just placed the order and created Tesla account and added the reservation to it a long time before getting the Solar. They do not have a VIN or any type of date as Tesla said they need to click "I'm ready" or they will cancel it.

Keeping the vehicle in their account and having them input my info for the registration wouldn't be an issue if I am financing right? I don't even think they have enter any registration info. Just placed the order and created Tesla account and added the reservation to it a long time before getting the Solar. They do not have a VIN or any type of date as Tesla said they need to click "I'm ready" or they will cancel it.

They probably have registration info because I don't think you can put one on hold without it + delivery location.

I might be wrong.

Regardless, SAs have the power to change the reservation. Just make sure they know it is a family transfer and you might want to do it in person since SAs can avoid communicating with you over texts.

Reactions: famdrive
It shouldn't be an issue for financing. I can not speak for Tesla financing, but I personally took delivery of a car that was under my father's Tesla account. The car was registered to my name and I did third party financing (credit union). The only annoying part may be any emails regarding delivery will be sent to the Tesla account email. If the family member is okay with it, you can change the telephone number in the Tesla account so that you will get the texts at least.

Reactions: famdrive
I have a M3 reservation and have already entered my registration info previously. Then I noticed that in the Tesla app there is a “Replace” button under the DL images. I clicked that and it seemed to reset the registration and start from the very beginning, asking who will be the registration owner. Sounds like the easiest way to reset registration.

Btw, I am looking to sell my reservation as I just bought a used one. Current EDD is Nov 16 - Dec 21. Configuration can still be updated. Delivery location in SoCal. PM if interested.

I have a M3 reservation and have already entered my registration info previously. Then I noticed that in the Tesla app there is a “Replace” button under the DL images. I clicked that and it seemed to reset the registration and start from the very beginning, asking who will be the registration owner. Sounds like the easiest way to reset registration.

Btw, I am looking to sell my reservation as I just bought a used one. Current EDD is Nov 16 - Dec 21. Configuration can still be updated. Delivery location in SoCal. PM if interested.
Could you please show a screenshot of the replace button?

I'm trying to make a transfer with someone and I have been reading a lot on the forum recently. Thanks for everyone's comments!

It seems the most reliable way to do a "transfer" is as follows, assuming every step is possible.
  1. Buyer pays seller the agreed transfer fee.
  2. Seller resets the account password and shares it with Buyer.
  3. Buyer goes to Profile Settings, and changes names, address, email, phone, etc. to the Buyer's.
  4. Buyer edits the design somehow, e.g. by changing a color. After confirming, Buyer should receive an updated Order Agreement that shows buyer's names and relevant information.
  5. Buyer inputs the Buyer's DL and registration information.
  6. Buyer waits, arranges loans, and takes the delivery.
Will it work or is there any caveat in any of the steps?

Yes, as long as the seller:

1. is willing to give up their account to you
2. has not entered any info, including DL, registration, and financing
3. and no VIN assigned yet

Another thing. When you do the account/email switch, the buyer's email should not have ever been used with Tesla, otherwise, it won't work.

If you want more help, message me or aka RN Services, LLC. lol
I recently bought a reservation for Model 3, the seller gave me the account, I was able to change all the information to mine. I just did the registration as well under my name and address. I changed the email address too because the seller used his personal email when he reserved the car. I looked at the Motor Vehicle order agreement and saw that his email, name and phone number is still there. Do you think the reservation will be canceled?

I'm trying to make a transfer with someone and I have been reading a lot on the forum recently. Thanks for everyone's comments!

It seems the most reliable way to do a "transfer" is as follows, assuming every step is possible.
  1. Buyer pays seller the agreed transfer fee.
  2. Seller resets the account password and shares it with Buyer.
  3. Buyer goes to Profile Settings, and changes names, address, email, phone, etc. to the Buyer's.
  4. Buyer edits the design somehow, e.g. by changing a color. After confirming, Buyer should receive an updated Order Agreement that shows buyer's names and relevant information.
  5. Buyer inputs the Buyer's DL and registration information.
  6. Buyer waits, arranges loans, and takes the delivery.
Will it work or is there any caveat in any of the steps?
Based on my experience, just picked up a 2023 M3 SR today. This is what I did when I bought a reservation from someone. Step number 4 is unnecessary but if you can still do it, it is up to you. Even if the name, phone number and address on the order agreement is under the original account owner when he made the reservation, the order will still go through. Tesla will generate a purchase agreement form under the new account owner’s information, or the registrant’s info.

Im from SoCal, picked up the car from Buena park service center.