Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will transfer to immediate relatives. They changed the reservation info on my brother’s reservation without question after I provided proof. Getting the reservation into my account has been harder ……I just left in my brothers account (less to go wrong) with my info and we will transfer the car later. We shall see. This was just in the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: voxel
Does Registration Details to be same as Profile settings Full Name and Address?

Can we take loan with different Profile settings Full Name? (Offcourse it matches with Registration Details)
Or should we only pay cash while taking others reservation?

You are responding to a 4 month old post so much has changed with Tesla since then.

Tesla will transfer to immediate relatives. They changed the reservation info on my brother’s reservation without question after I provided proof. Getting the reservation into my account has been harder ……I just left in my brothers account (less to go wrong) with my info and we will transfer the car later. We shall see. This was just in the last couple of weeks.

Nice. Tesla always seemed obliging when I showed up with my brother (back in late May) and asked to change the registration details to him but I’m not sure that is possible today due to clamp downs. Did you get the reservation changed at delivery?

Why does it matter to car company? If this was typical sales system with dealers, they will be super excited that instead of one cancelled order there is one transferred order - no commission or sales profit lost.
Probably it's to do with online shopping cart mentality - order once placed cannot be transferred, just refuse to receive the same and place new order for alternate address/buyer on same street... makes sense if money paid in advance, but no sense if it is cash-on-delivery like situation...

But secretive organisations are hard to understand. even harder when rules of engagement change almost faster than time it takes chameleon to change it's colour.... lol.

Why does it matter to car company? If this was typical sales system with dealers, they will be super excited that instead of one cancelled order there is one transferred order - no commission or sales profit lost.
Probably it's to do with online shopping cart mentality - order once placed cannot be transferred, just refuse to receive the same and place new order for alternate address/buyer on same street... makes sense if money paid in advance, but no sense if it is cash-on-delivery like situation...

But secretive organisations are hard to understand. even harder when rules of engagement change almost faster than time it takes chameleon to change it's colour.... lol.

If Tesla removed the honoring of price at order time then it would not matter. In fact, I argue Tesla should not honor order time pricing and allow infinite holds and transfers. The games folks play with holds and transfers is silly.

You are responding to a 4 month old post so much has changed with Tesla since then.

Nice. Tesla always seemed obliging when I showed up with my brother (back in late May) and asked to change the registration details to him but I’m not sure that is possible today due to clamp downs. Did you get the reservation changed at delivery?
They changed reservation details to my info. Vehicle is still in EDD limbo

Reactions: voxel
EDIT: I have insider source tell me Tesla has basically closed most of the loopholes.

SAs can't edit order names/addresses + registration info. You need an order without information filled out.
SAs can't assign an inventory VIN onto an existing (cheaper) order.

I'd be curious if ANYBODY was able to transfer a reservation (change order info) recently.
But to be clear, you can still just sell someone your account with a car registration tied to it? That remains the only way to actually obtain someone else's car reservation?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
But to be clear, you can still just sell someone your account with a car registration tied to it? That remains the only way to actually obtain someone else's car reservation?
It’s the easiest method.

Folks here are saying they were able to switch the registration info to a family member so there might be some SAs able to edit the registration. The original order agreement will still have the original buyer’s name and contact though. It’s one of the docs that you have to review and approve on delivery day.

It’s the easiest method.

Folks here are saying they were able to switch the registration info to a family member so there might be some SAs able to edit the registration. The original order agreement will still have the original buyer’s name and contact though. It’s one of the docs that you have to review and approve on delivery day.
So even if you buy someone's account that is tied to a registration from a non family member you are still signing off on an order agreement that has a different name on it? Wouldn't that be a problem?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
So even if you buy someone's account that is tied to a registration from a non family member you are still signing off on an order agreement that has a different name on it? Wouldn't that be a problem?

The order agreement can be regenerated if you change the configuration, and it should then show the current information for account holder and registration. Usually even after the configuration is locked you can add/remove FSD, so that should be a way to update the order agreement. E.g., add FSD, generate agreement, remove FSD, generate agreement. Adding FSD shouldn't affect the EDD, but I don't know what removing FSD might do to the EDD.

The order agreement can be regenerated if you change the configuration, and it should then show the current information for account holder and registration. Usually even after the configuration is locked you can add/remove FSD, so that should be a way to update the order agreement. E.g., add FSD, generate agreement, remove FSD, generate agreement. Adding FSD shouldn't affect the EDD, but I don't know what removing FSD might do to the EDD.
if gifting a car to someone, it should allow to register in receiving person's name and allow receiving person to borrow money (minus gift deposit) for car registered in their name.... in this scenario it could be someone selling gift (gray area - lol) I guess??? because noone would gift a car to someone in their own name, and many wouldn't pay full amount and prefer to pay partial amount or deposit towards it...

For orders after August 2021 - yes. For orders before that... Tesla locked them or auto-bumped them to latest prices.

I'm in a weird situation where I have a 2022 MXLR (already in my possession) and a reservation for a MYLR (delivery Oct-Nov) on the same account. I'm trying to figure out if I can transfer my MYLR reservation to someone else (currently $7K less expensive than what the current price is), but I figure I have to separate the two vehicles somehow.

Would anyone be able to share any insight on the best way to handle this?

Last edited: