Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a weird situation where I have a 2022 MXLR and a reservation for a MYLR (delivery Oct-Nov) on the same account. I'm trying to figure out if I can transfer my MYLR reservation to someone else, but I figure I have to separate the two vehicles somehow.

Would anyone be able to share any insight on the best way to handle this?
Not possible from the research i've done

Reactions: JPWX
That's my bad. I didn't clarify that I already have possession of the MXLR.
Oh - then you can create another tesla account and transfer the MXLR to that account and keep the reservation on your current account. Or you can keep both on your account and give access for the reservation buyer for when he needs to change the reg. info & vehicle pick up and then transfer the car afterwards to his account and change your account password

Reactions: JPWX
I currently have 2 Tesla’s on my account. If I buy a reservation from someone who will
hand over their email, after purchase I can just add this third Tesla to my own account right?

Also, can you change the pickup location (to another state) as long as the original reservation holder hasn’t enter their registration info right? Thanks guys!

I currently have 2 Tesla’s on my account. If I buy a reservation from someone who will
hand over their email, after purchase I can just add this third Tesla to my own account right?

Also, can you change the pickup location (to another state) as long as the original reservation holder hasn’t enter their registration info right? Thanks guys!

Yes to all.

Also, EDD is meaningless with an order without an location and even if it had a location - any change causes delays. It could be delivered 6-8 months from now.

Reactions: N2B8
As an anecdote: On Wednesday night of last week, I found a seller looking to seller their M3LR reservation for delivery in FL. The car was already within the delivery window and was waiting for him to schedule a delivery appointment for between Thursday & Saturday. I am located in MA with an NJ DL. After not getting through to anyone over the phone, I went into a local Tesla Showroom on Thursday (not a center but just mall showroom) and asked them to switch the reg details on the reservation. He switched it to my NJ info. Myself & the seller both assumed the VIN would get re-assigned as the FL delivery center told him the car was already there and was waiting for appointment scheduling. The VIN never got reassigned and a day later I got a notification about choosing a Delivery date in NJ. I picked the car up today in NJ and just drove it up to Boston (1 week and 1 day later from changing the reg. info) with no hiccups at delivery or anything. Certainly can still be done and can be done out of state as well

Reactions: roostY
As an anecdote: On Wednesday night of last week, I found a seller looking to seller their M3LR reservation for delivery in FL. The car was already within the delivery window and was waiting for him to schedule a delivery appointment for between Thursday & Saturday. I am located in MA with an NJ DL. After not getting through to anyone over the phone, I went into a local Tesla Showroom on Thursday (not a center but just mall showroom) and asked them to switch the reg details on the reservation. He switched it to my NJ info. Myself & the seller both assumed the VIN would get re-assigned as the FL delivery center told him the car was already there and was waiting for appointment scheduling. The VIN never got reassigned and a day later I got a notification about choosing a Delivery date in NJ. I picked the car up today in NJ and just drove it up to Boston (1 week and 1 day later from changing the reg. info) with no hiccups at delivery or anything. Certainly can still be done and can be done out of state as well

What do you mean both you and seller assumed the VIN?

That certainly is a unicorn situation. When the reservation was transferred.. there was a VIN assigned? Those get assigned after production and there is a two week timeframe before it reaches the destination so you might have switch delivery locations just in time. SAs tell me VINs are usually assigned to specific areas of the country... a FL bound car usually needs to be picked up in that state or neighboring ones. Congrats though!

That certainly is a unicorn situation. When the reservation was transferred.. there was a VIN assigned? Those get assigned after production and there is a two week timeframe before it reaches the destination so you might have switch delivery locations just in time. SAs tell me VINs are usually assigned to specific areas of the country... a FL bound car usually needs to be picked up in that state or neighboring ones. Congrats though!
Agreed not the average situation - When switching the reg., the SA at the local showroom told me its possible the car still hadn't arrived in FL and would get routed to NJ but the SA in FL had told the seller 20 minutes prior that the car was already in FL...who knows. The point of the anecdote was to show that it certainly is possible to get a reservation transfer and don't necessarily believe those that say they closed all loopholes

Reactions: voxel
Agreed not the average situation - When switching the reg., the SA at the local showroom told me its possible the car still hadn't arrived in FL and would get routed to NJ but the SA in FL had told the seller 20 minutes prior that the car was already in FL...who knows. The point of the anecdote was to show that it certainly is possible to get a reservation transfer and don't necessarily believe those that say they closed all loopholes

To be clear - this order was in the sellers’s Tesla account and the seller had to “review all docs” and click accept delivery after you looked over the car? Or did you take over the entire Tesla account? (Which might still be in the original seller’s name?) Part one is registration info. The second part of delivery where you have to pay by cashier’s check or have access to the account to wire funds by Plaid.

To be clear - this order was in the sellers’s Tesla account and the seller had to “review all docs” and click accept delivery after you looked over the car? Or did you take over the entire Tesla account? (Which might still be in the original seller’s name?) Part one is registration info. The second part of delivery where you have to pay by cashier’s check or have access to the account to wire funds by Plaid.
The order was in the sellers account. Seller gave me access to the account. I first changed the account profile information to mine. Then went to the showroom and he changed the reg. info. I then changed the account email address to mine. The seller hadn't switched from "paying cash" to financing so those agreements weren't produced in his name at all - the only agreement with his name was the original order agreement which never changed. The MVPA automatically updated to mine and when I changed the payment method to financing the loan docs all had my info (as the account was essentially mine by then).

Reactions: voxel
The order was in the sellers account. Seller gave me access to the account. I first changed the account profile information to mine. Then went to the showroom and he changed the reg. info. I then changed the account email address to mine. The seller hadn't switched from "paying cash" to financing so those agreements weren't produced in his name at all - the only agreement with his name was the original order agreement which never changed. The MVPA automatically updated to mine and when I changed the payment method to financing the loan docs all had my info (as the account was essentially mine by then).
Glad it worked out in your favor. This all happens while the vin was already assigned correct?

Thanks

Perfect. I had a transfer blocked because the order was in buyer’s name but the account had my info. I more or less did the transfer as an experiment (only asked for original fee). Glad yours worked out. It takes a lot of patience from both sides to cleanup the order and registration.