Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Transfer Technicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Looking to possibly purchase/transfer a reservation from another user here. He is in California and I am in New York. Does anybody know if and how this is an option for us?
Would I have to pay Tesla to transfer it? Would it lush the EDD back to Aug (its coming up now)?

Any information offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Hey all,

Looking to possibly purchase/transfer a reservation from another user here. He is in California and I am in New York. Does anybody know if and how this is an option for us?
Would I have to pay Tesla to transfer it? Would it lush the EDD back to Aug (its coming up now)?

Any information offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Officially; you can’t.

Unofficially; the user will need to hand over access to their Tesla account to you. So if they have any other vehicles, this is probably a no-go. You will need to take delivery of the vehicle in California, which means you will be double-taxed on the purchase unless NY has a reciprocity agreement with CA.

In short, this probably is going to be more trouble than it’s worth.

Reactions: theocguy
Depending on whether a VIN is assigned, you may be able to take delivery in NY. My cousin bought a reservation from someone in Seattle but took delivery in Los Angeles, which is where she lives. The delivery location updated once she entered her delivery location.

Vin was assigned and then dropped as seller did not have a buyer by then. Once I commit he would then choose "Ready for delivery" and get a new VIN.

I just got off the phone with Tesla's general line and the rep said their loss/fraud Dept would find it and blacklist both parties immediately (and take away the reservation). Any teeth to that or this guy just taking his job a little too seriously?
Are there any reported cases of that happening?

Vin was assigned and then dropped as seller did not have a buyer by then. Once I commit he would then choose "Ready for delivery" and get a new VIN.

I just got off the phone with Tesla's general line and the rep said their loss/fraud Dept would find it and blacklist both parties immediately (and take away the reservation). Any teeth to that or this guy just taking his job a little too seriously?
Are there any reported cases of that happening?
It goes against their TOS.

Not sure why either of you involved Tesla in this discussion. That was literally the worst thing you could do.

Officially; you can’t.

Unofficially; the user will need to hand over access to their Tesla account to you. So if they have any other vehicles, this is probably a no-go. You will need to take delivery of the vehicle in California, which means you will be double-taxed on the purchase unless NY has a reciprocity agreement with CA.

In short, this probably is going to be more trouble than it’s worth.
If they have another vehicle on the account, couldn't they transfer the vehicle to a new account and then "sell" the old account that has the order reservation still on it?

Yeah I wouldn't ask Tesla how to do something they don't allow.

It goes against their TOS.

Not sure why either of you involved Tesla in this discussion. That was literally the worst thing you could do.
Really? This guy is trying to find out if he's doing something legal or whether he'll be out $1,000's if he goes through with it and you're asking why he checked?

Really? This guy is trying to find out if he's doing something legal or whether he'll be out $1,000's if he goes through with it and you're asking why he checked?
“Legality” and TOS violations are two different things.

Obviously it’s legal. Checking with Tesla opens him up to the TOS violation.

So if they weren’t so interested in asking mommy for permission, they could have done exactly what they intended. Now that they initiated the conversation, their plan is dead in the water.

Not sure why this is so difficult for people to understand.

Reactions: outdoors
UPDATE: Tesla must be cracking down on this. There' a case in the Southeast where someone who purchased a reservation was denied delivery because the account owner and the registration info was a mismatch. As you may know, Tesla revised their policy to allow reservation transfers but only if you have an existing reservation with the same specs. Going forward, I would caution anyone trying to profit from reservations with the "hokey" approach of giving someone temporary access to your account. Now, if you are willing to completely reset your account with a new name, email, address, etc. to the reservation buyer, that could work.

Now, if you are willing to completely reset your account with a new name, email, address, etc. to the reservation buyer, that could work.

Even that isn't true anymore:

1648011225635.png

Reactions: Daekwan
UPDATE: Tesla must be cracking down on this. There' a case in the Southeast where someone who purchased a reservation was denied delivery because the account owner and the registration info was a mismatch. As you may know, Tesla revised their policy to allow reservation transfers but only if you have an existing reservation with the same specs. Going forward, I would caution anyone trying to profit from reservations with the "hokey" approach of giving someone temporary access to your account. Now, if you are willing to completely reset your account with a new name, email, address, etc. to the reservation buyer, that could work.

Agreed. I successfully transferred a reservation last summer but more recently with another one, the whole thing fell through once tesla found out all the info didn’t match.

After refusing to deliver car (one hour before pick up time), they auto-cancelled the reservation without any explanation. When I called to enquire, it was too late because the reservation was already cancelled and that can’t be reversed.

The reservation price was over $15k below current price, so I’m sure they were more than happy not to have to fulfill it. I assume they found another buyer very quickly.

Agreed. I successfully transferred a reservation last summer but more recently with another one, the whole thing fell through once tesla found out all the info didn’t match.

After refusing to deliver car (one hour before pick up time), they auto-cancelled the reservation without any explanation. When I called to enquire, it was too late because the reservation was already cancelled and that can’t be reversed.

The reservation price was over $15k below current price, so I’m sure they were more than happy not to have to fulfill it. I assume they found another buyer very quickly.
but was any money exchanged already before they cancelled? Wondering how they go about that once they have payment already for the vehicle.

So then is the "right" way to do this:

1) Find someone selling a reservation that you want
2) Work out the selling price *for the reservation* with the seller
3) Put in an order for the exact same spec
4) Ask Tesla to do the reservation transfer (?)

Reactions: Daekwan