Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserved Model 3 LR. Talk me out of upgrading to a M3P!

Should I keep my Model 3 LR reservation or upgrade to a P?

• Stick with the LR, Speed Racer. Be reasonable!

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • You will regret not getting the P!

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Spacep0d

Apr 20, 2019
Wildomar, CA
Okay, I'm still thinking about the Model 3 Performance, but the cost difference is the main reason I'm not going for it. I could probably afford it, though I'm most concerned about getting a decent financing rate given my credit numbers for auto loans (TransUnion for me is only 680 and is my lowest bureau score). Been working on building credit. Income is decent and I have pretty much no debt beyond a house payment.

Here's what I'm thinking;

1. The LR has better range. 322 mi. vs. 299 mi. for the Performance.
2. I'm putting 25k down, financing the rest. TransUnion score (already submitted credit app) is 680 and climbing.
3. Cost difference per month is negligible, and I could put more down (up to 30k) if needed.

I'm worried about regretting NOT going for the Performance over the Long Range with Boost (which is another 2K anyway).
Has anyone else here done the same, reserved a Model 3 LR only to upgrade to a P early in the process?
Has anyone here gotten the LR but regretted not getting the P?
Is a Long-Range with Boost good enough? When would I need or want that low-end acceleration we get in the P?
I'm also interested in the other bits and bobs that come with the P related to the wheels, suspension, brake calipers.

Tell me what you think please! I'd love to read your stories and feedback, along with your safe advice. Thanks!

I started with an LR. Great car, but I ended up selling it and getting a performance. Fantastic car!

Nobody NEEDS the Performance. But if you can afford it without putting your M's (mortgage, meals and medicine) at risk, you won't regret it.

Don't forget resale value. The performance upgrade will not "pay for itself", but will get more when you sell the car which will reduce your total cost for getting the option.

If you change out the performance wheels and tires you can probably get back most of the range difference between the cars.

It's a decision that depends on your financial situation. If you can pay cash for the M3P without breaking a sweat (not saying you should, given the low interest rates), then you can truly afford it. In that case, go for it! Otherwise you should probably get the SR+, unless you need the range, and invest the rest in your future (pay down CC, invest in stocks or your business, further your education, etc.).

I started with an LR. Great car, but I ended up selling it and getting a performance. Fantastic car!

Nobody NEEDS the Performance. But if you can afford it without putting your M's (mortgage, meals and medicine) at risk, you won't regret it.

Don't forget resale value. The performance upgrade will not "pay for itself", but will get more when you sell the car which will reduce your total cost for getting the option.

If you change out the performance wheels and tires you can probably get back most of the range difference between the cars.

Great points. Can the Performance take the standard 18" wheels with those calipers in place? If not, I have no trouble getting a Stealth or converting it to a Stealth to get the range back, whilst keeping that prodigious acceleration. I like the look of the LR's 18" aero wheels better anyway, along with the 10% range boost from the aero tech.

Very interesting about your upgrade. What made you upgrade? Did you get a chance to drive the Performance? I should rent one and see how it goes. I've only rented and driven the LR.

It's a decision that depends on your financial situation. If you can pay cash for the M3P without breaking a sweat (not saying you should, given the low interest rates), then you can truly afford it. In that case, go for it! Otherwise you should probably get the SR+, unless you need the range.

Thanks for your feedback! At the very least I'd go LR+, so it's a contest between that and the M3P. :) I just really don't want to have regrets later.

Great points. Can the Performance take the standard 18" wheels with those calipers in place? If not, I have no trouble getting a Stealth or converting it to a Stealth to get the range back, whilst keeping that prodigious acceleration. I like the look of the LR's 18" aero wheels better anyway, along with the 10% range boost from the aero tech.

Very interesting about your upgrade. What made you upgrade? Did you get a chance to drive the Performance? I should rent one and see how it goes. I've only rented and driven the LR.
You can get the full P and sell the 20 inch wheels to get forged 18s with similar range as the LR. I didn't like the brake feel from the LR. Test drive both and you'll see the Performance brakes have better bite in case you wanted aggressive driving. Also, track mode is awesome. LR doesn't have it. It helps keep the fun alive in aggressive canyon driving or track driving.

Reactions: Spacep0d
I thought about getting 18” wheels for road trips on my P3 but honestly, as long as you don’t drive like a maniac you will get more than decent range even with the 20s. I’m not a hypermiling champion or anything but I’m averaging 257 Wh/mi on road trips with my P3 on 20s so it can be efficient if you want it to. I’d also say get the P3 to avoid regrets later.

Honestly the only downside of the Performance is those damn 20" wheels. The tires on there blows over any medium size pot holes.

Also the $6-8k difference. If it's a car you'll keep for 10+ years then I'd say go for it. If it's a lease, get the LR AWD and then think about it next time you when the lease is up.

I'll tell you this. My friends with SR+ wish they bought the LR AWD. My LR AWD friends half wish they got the P. But the ones that wishes for P has plenty of money and makes close $400k a year

Honestly the only downside of the Performance is those damn 20" wheels. The tires on there blows over any medium size pot holes.

Also the $6-8k difference. If it's a car you'll keep for 10+ years then I'd say go for it. If it's a lease, get the LR AWD and then think about it next time you when the lease is up.

I'll tell you this. My friends with SR+ wish they bought the LR AWD. My LR AWD friends half wish they got the P. But the ones that wishes for P has plenty of money and makes close $400k a year
Can I be your friend?

• Funny
Reactions: ForeverEv
You forgot another "M": Marriage.

@Spacep0d I got my LR RWD July 2018. I was looking to wait for the AWD but I ended up pulling the trigger a few weeks too early. Rather than cancel my order, I just let it slide. I don't really NEED the AWD here in San Jose but I think it would have been nice to have it. Same goes for the P. If you can afford it without too much strain, I'd say go for it.

Opinion context: see signature for previous vehicles. I thought my Crosstour with 278hp or whatever it was was plenty fast (and it still is, IMO).

Answering "when would I need or want that low-end acceleration" directly, I'm glad you realise it's basically just the low speed acceleration that's improved. You can basically use it for extra oomph around town (base AWD is pretty much at the limit of the tires already I find, though) or an edge if you drag race it. That's it.

I find the LR AWD, non-P, no boost option, absolutely plenty. I have no regrets in that regard, despite the constant disappointment people have when they ask "Did you get the ludicrous one?!". If I'm honest, I'm kind of proud I didn't spend (a lot of) money on something I'd use infrequently or never.

Then there's the whole aspect of feasibility of ever seeing that difference. This is my daily driver. I have things (living or otherwise) in the car that I shouldn't be flooring it around everywhere. Driving like that isn't practical. The odd time I'm alone with the empty car, I don't even full throttle it. Gasp, I know. I go to where it's fun without being "disrespectful" to others around me I guess. And I'm happy with that.

3. Cost difference per month is negligible, and I could put more down (up to 30k) if needed.

I'm worried about regretting NOT going for the Performance over the Long Range with Boost (which is another 2K anyway).

I'm also interested in the other bits and bobs that come with the P related to the wheels, suspension, brake calipers.

You listed all the reasons why you should just get the performance. Negligible difference per month, not having any regrets, interest in getting the added options. Especially if you’re already questioning it now.

Okay, I'm still thinking about the Model 3 Performance, but the cost difference is the main reason I'm not going for it. I could probably afford it, though I'm most concerned about getting a decent financing rate given my credit numbers for auto loans (TransUnion for me is only 680 and is my lowest bureau score). Been working on building credit. Income is decent and I have pretty much no debt beyond a house payment.

1. The LR has better range. 322 mi. vs. 299 mi. for the Performance.
2. I'm putting 25k down, financing the rest. TransUnion score (already submitted credit app) is 680 and climbing.

Has anyone else here done the same, reserved a Model 3 LR only to upgrade to a P early in the process?
Has anyone here gotten the LR but regretted not getting the P?
Is a Long-Range with Boost good enough? When would I need or want that low-end acceleration we get in the P?

Tell me what you think please! I'd love to read your stories and feedback, along with your safe advice. Thanks!

I think the LR with boost is probably the sweet spot. Otherwise I would look for a Stealth Performance (there were a handful of white and black ones a couple days ago... you can’t order any more but occasionally Tesla seems to release a few into inventory...)

If you can’t get a Stealth I would seriously plan and consider getting 18” third party wheels that fit the Performance (TSportline makes some). You’ll probably be out another $2500 or more when you factor in the wheels, new tires, and mounting.

That will help gain back some range, smooth the ride out a little, and drastically reduced the chance of broken wheels from pot holes. I’ve heard a couple stories already about hitting a big bump or pothole at speed and braking one or two of those Performance wheels at a cost of like $3k+

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the great insights. This is exactly what I was looking for. Given the $2500 rebate and the $2000 cost of the boost, I figured I may as well get the P for a bit more cash. I'm also coming from the motorcycle world so acceleration is something I love. Not top speed per se, but acceleration when I want it. I like all of the P extras, but I will also enjoy being a little 'stealthier' too.

My Tesla contact found me a Stealth in the colors I want so he's going to attach this to my reservation. I feel good about this, as the Stealth is what I wanted anyway when I thought the cost was less. Even at the same cost, it's what I want. As you already know, it's got the 18" Aero wheels so I keep all my range and a bit more compliant ride—but I still have the power when I want or need it.

Oh to answer someone's question, I'm not married and have no kids (no plans to). My girlfriend is fine with it, though she doesn't have veto power over any of my purchases, nor do I for hers. We just give each other advice. We share the house as our major expense and that's going great. Been together 22+ years now. I've never been married and never plan to be, but that's a whole other conversation.

Thanks again for all of the help, and keep the advice coming if you like now that you know I'm going for the Stealth! :)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the great insights. This is exactly what I was looking for. Given the $2500 rebate and the $2000 cost of the boost, I figured I may as well get the P for a bit more cash. I'm also coming from the motorcycle world so acceleration is something I love. Not top speed per se, but acceleration when I want it. I'm not looking to get a lot of tickets either, so I will enjoy not having all of the badging or bits of the Performance. I like all of the P extras, but I will also enjoy being a little 'stealthier'.

My Tesla contact found me a Stealth in the colors I want so he's going to attach this to my reservation. I feel good about this, as the Stealth is what I wanted anyway when I thought the cost was less. Even at the same cost, it's what I want. As you already know, it's got the 18" Aero wheels so I keep all my range and a bit more compliant ride—but I still have the power when I want or need it.

Thanks again for all of the help, and keep the advice coming if you like now that you know I'm going for the Stealth! :)

Curious what color he found for you. The only Stealths I’ve seen are black or white exterior, did he find you something different? :)