Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserved S today and finalized at the same time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to updated everybody on my order.

I received an email to confirm delivery information yesterday. So here is a general timeline of my purchase:

2/27/13 - Reserve
2/27/13 - Finalize
2/28/13 - Sign pre-purchase agreement
3/8/13 - Delivery confirmation

According to the email, my estimated delivery window is 3/22 - 4/5. I live in Reno, NV, which is about 4 hours drive away from Fremont, and I requested home delivery, so I'm not sure how that will affect delivery time. And I also opted to have a trade-in on the purchase, which I was surprise to see the option for. Will update as I get more info from Tesla.

Good for you, but it makes me want to cry. Waiting... Waiting...

Glad you're getting the car so soon. However, it makes me feel somewhat abused by Tesla. I was under the impression that cars were going to be built primarily in reservation order. A few 85s, then a few 60s, then a few 40s. Repeat.

Waiting when nobody was getting cars was easy. But I reserved 18 months ago, and have essentially no clue when I'll get it.

And yeah, I know. #firstworldproblems

@action7981 - will this aggressive push to make only 85s in Q1 affect the top line in Q2? My guess is yes as the next quarter will likely see many more 60s & 40s going into production. With each of those, tesla will have a 10 & 20k decline in top line. The street will not like that. They will stay profitable in Q2 but a decline I top-line is generally not good. Hope they have some magic under their belt to prove me wrong.

Full disclosure long tesla stock holder, but hedged with August 2013 puts.

Hate to "rub it in" for all those that have been waiting for their S, but I got a call from Tesla yesterday to establish a contact for the delivery and got my VIN. Just wanted to update this thread in case a prospective buyer wanted to see how long it might take to actually get a fully optioned non-red P85.

I was planning on trading in a car, but got a dismal offer from AutoNation. I'll try CarMax and if they come with a similar offer, I might just go with AutoNation just to reduce the hassle.

I just emailed in a copy of my driver's license and insurance. I was hoping 21st Century would cover the Tesla since I already have them, but they don't, so I went with Progressive. Very impressed with pricing and convenience of Progressive and I might switch over all my cars to them in the next 3 months.

2/27/13 - Reserve
2/27/13 - Finalize
2/28/13 - Sign pre-purchase agreement
3/8/13 - Delivery confirmation
3/14/13 - VIN

It has been 15 days since reservation.

Last edited:
@action7981 - will this aggressive push to make only 85s in Q1 affect the top line in Q2? My guess is yes as the next quarter will likely see many more 60s & 40s going into production. With each of those, tesla will have a 10 & 20k decline in top line. The street will not like that. They will stay profitable in Q2 but a decline I top-line is generally not good. Hope they have some magic under their belt to prove me wrong.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think it will have that much effect on Q2 and going forward. They are aggressively driving down costs so the cost to make each car is going down and there are the 85's that ordered Red and/or standard suspension that will be delivered in Q2 in addition to new orders. And with the European Sigs being delivered in Q3 I don't feel like they will significantly slow down 85 production. I think the production mix will definately start evening out going forward, but the way Tesla made it sound on the 2012 Q4 conference call the majority of orders are still 85's.

Do I think it's fair that people ordering fully optioned cars now are jumping line? No. I do understand Tesla's logic though. They need money to make investors happy and stay in business. They are going to sell as many 85's as they can in order to do that.

Last edited:
You would think that the 60 battery would take less time to produce, because of less cells, but not by much time.

Yeah!!! And also the 19" wheels !!! Hahahahahaha.
Just kidding.

Don't know Tesla's production lines, but I expect with battery packs (as well as other things), they are in an area of their own being put together, stocked, and then added to the line when required for the car that is next in line.