Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserved S today and finalized at the same time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a Model X Sig reserved for about a month, and I decided to take the plunge on the Model S. To my surprise, upon configuring the S to 85 performance with pretty much all the options, I was asked to finalize. So I did, and I guess I will get the paperwork via email tomorrow. Is this normal? I didn't expect to finalize so quickly. (No complaints here)

I've had a Model X Sig reserved for about a month, and I decided to take the plunge on the Model S. To my surprise, upon configuring the S to 85 performance with pretty much all the options, I was asked to finalize. So I did, and I guess I will get the paperwork via email tomorrow. Is this normal? I didn't expect to finalize so quickly. (No complaints here)

Someone posted on the TMC Google group that they finalized and got paperwork after reserving on the 25th.

news to me. I reserved on 10/31 and didn't get my finalize notice till early January. I guess they are now down to about 4-6 week lead time so makes sense to finalize as soon as reservation is made.

Tesla may be adjusting their sales process. Last summer, when the Model S was a brand new vehicle and manufacturing was moving at a very slow pace, refundable deposits were probably deemed a necessity to get people to commit to a vehicle they might not receive for nine months. Now that production is up to speed and wait time is down to 4 to 6 weeks, perhaps we will see the refundable deposit and the delay between reservation & configuration disappear. The buying sequence will more closely resemble walking into a BMW or Audi dealer, ordering a specific configuration, and receiving it a month later.

Tesla may be adjusting their sales process. Last summer, when the Model S was a brand new vehicle and manufacturing was moving at a very slow pace, refundable deposits were probably deemed a necessity to get people to commit to a vehicle they might not receive for nine months. Now that production is up to speed and wait time is down to 4 to 6 weeks, perhaps we will see the refundable deposit and the delay between reservation & configuration disappear. The buying sequence will more closely resemble walking into a BMW or Audi dealer, ordering a specific configuration, and receiving it a month later.

Yup, might help on the cancellation rate too.

Hmmm...everyone keeps saying 4-6 weeks, but I finalized 1/7 and re-finalized after a config change 2/7, but don't have a delivery button yet (so at least 30 days out)...and I'm P10,917! So it seems unlikely that lead times are really 4-6 weeks!!

Hmmm...everyone keeps saying 4-6 weeks, but I finalized 1/7 and re-finalized after a config change 2/7, but don't have a delivery button yet (so at least 30 days out)...and I'm P10,917! So it seems unlikely that lead times are really 4-6 weeks!!

By re-finalizing, you may have added another 4 weeks to your lead time. And your specific configuration can affect the lead time as well. Popular colors, like black, tend to get through production more quickly.

I don't think there should be any concern with some configurations being available in 4-6 wks. As far as I know it is only US bound 85kWh (P), air suspension, non red. Tesla has been building this configuration as fast as they can since they launched last June. All that has happened is they have temporarily caught up with demand. I say temporarily because as they integrate 40kWh and European bound cars the number of US bound 85kWh cars built will fall and lead times will stretch back out.

The 85kWh battery is their highest margin car and they are working as hard as they can to become profitable this quarter so I can see why this configuration is getting priority. or it is simply their battery department is able to produce more 85kWh battery packs than 60kWh.

To sum up, this is good news for all; Tesla is becoming profitable (I imagine anyone on this forum wants this to happen) and those US buyers that want the most expensive configuration can get one in a relatively short period of time (for the time being).

Just wanted to updated everybody on my order.

I received an email to confirm delivery information yesterday. So here is a general timeline of my purchase:

2/27/13 - Reserve
2/27/13 - Finalize
2/28/13 - Sign pre-purchase agreement
3/8/13 - Delivery confirmation

According to the email, my estimated delivery window is 3/22 - 4/5. I live in Reno, NV, which is about 4 hours drive away from Fremont, and I requested home delivery, so I'm not sure how that will affect delivery time. And I also opted to have a trade-in on the purchase, which I was surprise to see the option for. Will update as I get more info from Tesla.