Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Frustrated Mad and Angry at Service right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you totally regarding the documentation. However, my understanding is that Tesla unplugs all dashcams when you take it in for service - probably for exactly this reason, plausible deniability!
Or perhaps mechanics are like the rest of us - I wouldn't want a dashcam recording every curse word that I might be mumbling, nor would I want to see clips of me working on a vehicle showing up on the internet without my permission. Would you?

I don't mind a bit that my dashcam is disconnected when they're working on it. In fact, I show them how I'd like it disconnected so that the wiring doesn't get messed up.

Or perhaps mechanics are like the rest of us - I wouldn't want a dashcam recording every curse word that I might be mumbling, nor would I want to see clips of me working on a vehicle showing up on the internet without my permission. Would you?

I don't mind a bit that my dashcam is disconnected when they're working on it. In fact, I show them how I'd like it disconnected so that the wiring doesn't get messed up.

Of course, but mainly for liability reasons......... ;)

And I'd rather not have Tesla messing with my stuff (delicate dashcam connectors). People also tend to be on their best behavior (like not dropping wrenches on windshields and hoods and lying about it) when they know they are being recorded.

Last edited:
I'm amazed at how many similar posts there are about SCs damaging and breaking things from all parts of the country.

MS SoCal should feel vindicated for his previous thread on this topic.

Honestly, there's nothing to "feel" vindicated about.

I ALREADY KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE.
(in my experience)

I just feel bad for the OP, and I feel sick to my stomach and weary about getting my Tesla back from Tesla Service.

I just hope everything is OK when I get my car back ... (hopefully soon)....

* Tesla needs to be held accountable
* This type of BAD service from Tesla should NOT be NORMALIZED.
* Fixing a mistake doesn't excuse the initial mistake. But it's a step in the right direction.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Justified outrage does help.

... and this is justified...

Many Tesla Service Centers appear to be BROKEN.

Yet when I tell you of my positive experiences, you don't want to hear it.

But since this is my post and I'm typing and you're not the boss of me :), I'll give yet another example:

Tuesday, I was at Tigard to have them check my windshield washers (which turned out to be fine). I asked them to give me a little charge, since I was heading up to Seattle. They plugged me in, decided that they just didn't like my charge port door behavior (I thought it was fine, but hey, they're the experts) & next time I'm in the area, they'll replace it.

Or a healthy customer/service center relationship: NorCal / Reno Tesla Owners Club

(And this in no way minimizes the negative experiences that individuals have had at Tesla or Audi or BMW or wherever. Things happen. It's how it is handled that makes the difference.)

Sir Guac handled his situation like an adult, held his ground, but didn't add a bunch of drama to the situation & will no doubt reap the benefits. As he said, human error does occur. The assumed coverup was uncool, but I don't think anyone here thinks that is Tesla customer policy. Somebody screwed up.

Since he was the one in the middle of the situation, I'll go with his take on it, rather than the arm chair postings of the folks that are jumping from thread to thread waving their hands in the air.

They agreed to replace the windshield.

That's just as well. The photo of the crack/chip you posted shows that it wasn't actually repairable anyway. To get a chip/crack repaired, they have to attach a large suction cup to the windshield which pulls on the glass slightly -- this opens up the cracks and allows the epoxy to get down inside so it can bond. When the crack is near the edge of the windshield like this, there is no room to put the suction cup on, so the crack becomes non-repairable. The big guys like Safelite wouldn't even attempt a repair on this, they'd go straight to replacement.

Ok I've been trying to hold my anger in all day but ..

Super mad and angry! But really trying to hold it in, lets hope they make it right tomorrow and I end up deleting this thread.

Meanwhile feel free to console me. UGH!

Why not wait the day to see what they do before creating the thread in the first place or spend your energy dealing with someone who can actually solve your problem?

Yet when I tell you of my positive experiences, you don't want to hear it.

But since this is my post and I'm typing and you're not the boss of me :), I'll give yet another example:

Tuesday, I was at Tigard to have them check my windshield washers (which turned out to be fine). I asked them to give me a little charge, since I was heading up to Seattle. They plugged me in, decided that they just didn't like my charge port door behavior (I thought it was fine, but hey, they're the experts) & next time I'm in the area, they'll replace it.

Or a healthy customer/service center relationship: NorCal / Reno Tesla Owners Club

(And this in no way minimizes the negative experiences that individuals have had at Tesla or Audi or BMW or wherever. Things happen. It's how it is handled that makes the difference.)

Sir Guac handled his situation like an adult, held his ground, but didn't add a bunch of drama to the situation & will no doubt reap the benefits. As he said, human error does occur. The assumed coverup was uncool, but I don't think anyone here thinks that is Tesla customer policy. Somebody screwed up.

Since he was the one in the middle of the situation, I'll go with his take on it, rather than the arm chair postings of the folks that are jumping from thread to thread waving their hands in the air.

Sorry, I didn't mean to disregard your positive Tesla reports.

I fully acknowledge your positive Tesla experiences, as that should be the "norm".

I accept them and I believe you.. as I always have...

" and you're not the boss of me" - Not sure where this is coming from... Obviously, I'm not the boss of you... I don't even know you...

"but didn't add a bunch of drama to the situation" > Not sure what you mean by this. I haven't noticed anyone here on TMC being dramatic towards a Tesla service personnel. If anything, people tend to be too forgiving...

Why not wait the day to see what they do before creating the thread in the first place or spend your energy dealing with someone who can actually solve your problem?

What difference does it make to you?

I for one, appreciate the positive and negative reports...

... and the OP can vent through TMC instead of losing his temper at a Tesla personnel...
(which would be perfectly justified!)

Sorry, I didn't mean to disregard your positive Tesla reports.

I fully acknowledge your positive Tesla experiences, as that should be the "norm".

I accept them and I believe you.. as I always have...

" and you're not the boss of me" - Not sure where this is coming from... Obviously, I'm not the boss of you... I don't even know you...

"but didn't add a bunch of drama to the situation" > Not sure what you mean by this. I haven't noticed anyone here on TMC being dramatic towards a Tesla service personnel. If anything, people tend to be too forgiving...

Umm, I had a smiley face after the 'not the boss of me' - it was a joke. As far as adding drama, I was referring to posts here in this thread and in others by a specific group.

@Shorty I picked my car in the afternoon, approx 230pm. I posted that thread at midnight. A number of rumination, thoughts, and stress went through my head before I finally decided to open up and post that thread here. Here were my reasons,

1. Emotion: If someone hurt your baby, you'd be moaning too.
2. Education and Experience: As you can see, a number of people pitched in with valuable advice. I learnt about a number of things, glass repair, interior noise, windshield replacement, buffing out scratches - with better knowledge, I can talk more sensibly when talking with someone at Tesla who is trying to rectify the situation. So I did spend 'energy' with fellow Tesla owners here, that helped me solve the problem.
3. Commiseration: Even if someone says "sorry, I feel for you", it makes me FEEL better.

I just dropped my car off in Sunnyvale, CA SC. It was washed, and they inspected it before taking it in, but to my surprise they said they don't do an inspection sheet any more as they're converting to an iPad based system and they'll probably do walkaround videos. In my mind: at least don't drop the paper inspection until you have another way. So I asked the tech to walk around and put it in writing on the worksheet that no damage to the car can be observed, date it and sign. I signed also and requested a copy. CYA... ;)

You're like a cat with 9 lives. Or more. I'm sure you'll be reincarnated with a new name

Thank you for being the voice of reason on this. I agree with your course of action & how you're handling it, 100%. They're lucky to have you as a customer and I hope they do the right things to continue keeping you as a customer.

The way you've handled it will undoubtedly result in goodwill from them in the future.

I beg you to take the blinders off... I really do... I know that's going to sound wrong reading it and it's not my intention to be negative towards you but I really believe that there isn't anything Tesla can do before you say "enough is enough"... I appreciate the concept of being reasonable and such but this behavior is so beyond any acceptable level that you really have to take a step back and reassess where you thought you stood... For me it's the fraudulent altercation of the check-in inspection sheet that I'm a bit surprised that you seem to want to gloss over...

I know I'm over-reacting... I know that 100%... However, from where I sit I don't think you are remotely reacting enough...

Jeff

It's also a perfect example of people fanning the flames with their outrage & not helping the situation - luckily the person at the center of the drama kept a level head and is getting it resolved.

I guess I'm completely alone here then with my outrage over the blatant fraudulent actions taken by employee(s) of Tesla Motors... I wish all of us could get the Bonnie experience as it's clearly something special and not typical of the average Tesla customer...

Again, fraud was committed and that apparently is a completely acceptable thing for Tesla to do to a customer so long as you keep a level head and don't fan the flames of outrage...

As I sit here I actually chuckle thinking about all the people here who have called me a fanboy for defending Tesla in the past...

Jeff

• Love
Reactions: metier and oktane