Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Frustrated Mad and Angry at Service right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay update - They called me and they said they will try to repair the windshield and they will try to buff out the scratch.
The damage to the windshield is minor, and the scratch is not very deep. So I am hoping this will fix it. Lets hope!

What is your experience with windshield repair? Is it good enough?
Is buffing out good enough? (the scratch is not deep)

Hey Jeff -- just seeing this thread and forwarded it to our regional leaders. We strive to make every service interaction perfect, but at time mistakes are made. We'll make sure to get this resolved for you.

Something to keep in mind before demanding a replacement is that a factory windshield is generally more accurately and properly installed and sealed than a replacement one. It may not matter if they do a good job replacing it, but sometimes replacing something just makes the problem worse rather than fixing it.

If that damage is where you can't see it then I would just have them fix it, if you can see, than I would want a replacement.

@jaguar36 - wow I didn't know that. I thought replacing = as good as new. Any more info you can share on this?

@jaguar36 - wow I didn't know that. I thought replacing = as good as new. Any more info you can share on this?
Windshields in the factory are installed by a robot and aligned very preicsely. (watch a video on it, its pretty neat) The seal has to be ripped out and then replaced by a human with a caulk gun. If guy is good it should be fine, but everyone makes mistakes sometimes. In addition I'm not sure how the trim is on the Tesla windshield, but on alot of cars the replacement rubber trim piece is not exactly the same.

Sometimes replacement windshields leak, and sometimes they generate more wind noise than the original. Sometimes they are perfect too though.

Something to keep in mind before demanding a replacement is that a factory windshield is generally more accurately and properly installed and sealed than a replacement one.

You are generally correct, but remember this is a Tesla. If the windshield is factory assembled to the same quality standard as the rest of the car, you are probably going to get an improvement in wind noise when Safelite does the mobile replacement. ;)

Windshields in the factory are installed by a robot and aligned very preicsely. (watch a video on it, its pretty neat) The seal has to be ripped out and then replaced by a human with a caulk gun. If guy is good it should be fine, but everyone makes mistakes sometimes. In addition I'm not sure how the trim is on the Tesla windshield, but on alot of cars the replacement rubber trim piece is not exactly the same.

Sometimes replacement windshields leak, and sometimes they generate more wind noise than the original. Sometimes they are perfect too though.

While I fully agree with your comment. Automation mistakes do occur too. In point. We bought a high-end car 10 years ago and the windshield leaked at the top center when it first rained (car 2 months old). The dealer replaced it and said that the factory seal was placed wrong. The robot just assumes it is there and right. Windshield never leaked again for 7 years until we sold the car.

You're talking as if you've never had someone report to you. It takes time and money and effort to train someone to do the job right.

It's a lot cheaper to re-train them, correct the mistake and have it never happen again than it is to fire them.

There are fire-able offenses, obviously. But saying Tesla should fire "everyone" (staff, managers, etc.) won't fix anything. It has to be fixed from a top-down approach.

I have and do actually have people who report to me now and I agree with you 100%... The time and effort to find the right candidate, hire them, and train them is daunting... However, there are just some lines I cannot accept as teaching moments to those who actually did the stepping over said line...

Jeff

Update - They agreed to replace the windshield. I presented my arguments, basically that it won't be the same product with repair, I will still see the imperfections, and it can crack again at any point and will continue to remain a weak spot after repair. Plus then no way to prove if the subsequent crack was due to this chip, or a new issue. They agreed with my arguments, and agreed to replace the windshield.

As far as the scratch - well they are going to try and buff it out themselves first, and they feel confident that they can take care of it. If it isn't then they involve a body shop. I'm a bit nervous, but going for it. They screwed up, but they are making up for it .. so far. The issue isn't over yet, but proceeding in the right direction.

Also, for now, the Elon poster in my bedroom is safe. For now.

-- edit -- AFK for a few hours.

I mean I know TMC will miss my jokes, but such is life and tough choices have to be made!
You're like a cat with 9 lives. Or more. I'm sure you'll be reincarnated with a new name
@jeffro01 sooner or later this'll happen to you too - maybe with Tesla or maybe with someone else. You'll see that working WITH them especially when they are TRYING to make it right is the better option.

As far as firing most of that service center, that won't "fix" the situation. But Tesla should follow up internally and make sure this BS of replacing the inspection sheet never happens again. I don't want anyone fired over this. People have jobs lives, and people are not perfect. Talked with yes, not fired. Lets consider this - I don't know if replacing the sheet was malicious or careless. Bad either way, but one is worse.
Thank you for being the voice of reason on this. I agree with your course of action & how you're handling it, 100%. They're lucky to have you as a customer and I hope they do the right things to continue keeping you as a customer.

The way you've handled it will undoubtedly result in goodwill from them in the future.

Update - They agreed to replace the windshield. I presented my arguments, basically that it won't be the same product with repair, I will still see the imperfections, and it can crack again at any point and will continue to remain a weak spot after repair. Plus then no way to prove if the subsequent crack was due to this chip, or a new issue. They agreed with my arguments, and agreed to replace the windshield.

As far as the scratch - well they are going to try and buff it out themselves first, and they feel confident that they can take care of it. If it isn't then they involve a body shop. I'm a bit nervous, but going for it. They screwed up, but they are making up for it .. so far. The issue isn't over yet, but proceeding in the right direction.

Also, for now, the Elon poster in my bedroom is safe. For now.

-- edit -- AFK for a few hours.

Surprised and glad this has been addressed in less than 24 hours. You even got a forum response from JonMc/Corporate.

I hope the windshield replacement goes smoothly. Pay attention to extra wind noise in the cabin after the replacement. You may want to take some baseline decibel measurements driving at highway speeds before you get it done. You can get a free sound meter app on your phone.

Glad you're getting a new windshield..

RE: buffing out the scratch
I think they may be able to do that successfully
But I would *carefully* examine their work. If it were me, I'd prob take a bright flashlight with me to really see that area closely
I have some experience with scratches and removal, and sometimes it takes a very close inspection to assure the scratch is gone

I'm dropping mine off today for first annual service and some small issues. Will be documenting everything but my SC knows me.. :D Once they forgot to turn my dashcam off, and I can see the service manager stopping the entire workshop and shout CAREFUL WITH THIS CAR GUYS :D It's funny but then it isn't. There was probably 10 cars in the workshop. Most are more expensive than mine....

And this is why some people always have excellent experiences with companies even when there's been a problem, and why others always seem to have poor experiences. While professionals and employees of companies should always be professional and do their best work, the truth remains they are human and therefore subject to having bad days, being off, being careless, not caring at all, being clumsy or whatever else you can think of.

Customers who take the time to establish a relationship with the people behind the company name, who remain reasonable and respectful, who put forth a bit more effort will almost always be treated better. And yes, there's a definite art to putting the 'fear of God' into people without coming off like you're threatening them.

I have a dashcam that runs 24/7...would have been interesting if you'd have had one as well...
I try not to be the angry overreacting guy...and frankly probably would have let them try the repair of the windshield first then replace if not satisfactory and the scratch does look likely to buff out just fine. But I have to say, the fraudulent replacement of the documentation, that's a line too far IMO. Maybe it was one dude, but it seems like it's more likely that someone made the mistake, passed it to a supervisor to advised the service agent to 'lose' the original papers and see if nobody notices.

But why would they do that? Is there a corporate policy that penalizes human mistakes like scratching paint? Or are there cameras in the shop and if something like this happens someone's wreckless behavior would be found out? It's odd...again, so glad my service centers have always been more that wonderful for me, and I'd like to believe most of them are like that.