Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Responses to NAIAS questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started to add a wireless router to my home but I was holding the router as it was trying to establish its connection and it made my arm go numb! so I didn't put it in. Even when I set it down I could feel it, not quite like electricity flowing through you but a stranger feeling. No wifi 4 me ;<
Yeah. Not sure about that. Something else was going on there. You can always have someone else set up your WiFi network if you are concerned.

Yeah. Not sure about that. Something else was going on there. You can always have someone else set up your WiFi network if you are concerned.
I'm also pretty sure that's not the wifi signal, but probably something else. Like Andrew says, a cell tower signal is many times stronger (and if you live in a city like me, may be in very close proximity to a cell tower). Most cordless phones also operate in the same frequency as WiFi and a signal strength as large if not larger than the WiFi signal.

Actually - a cell phone signal is 9-10x stronger than a wi-fi router. A tower is probably a factor of 1000 higher - but, of course, one is usually farther away.
Yep. Cell phones radiate at 600mW and FCC limit for indoor WiFi is 100mW. But most home systems (Linksys, Netgear, etc) are ~42mW (enterprise APs will hit 100mW). If your hand went numb you were being electrocuted, WiFi radiation could not do that.

Hellz to the no! Well, maybe for maintenance (i.e. maybe instead of CANBUS), but that's so old-tech from a consumer standpoint.

Gigabit Ethernet over Cat 5e is a lot faster than WiFi, however, which is why my home is hardwired for local transfers between computers. For downloading multiple gigabytes of music to the Model S hard drive, WiFi is SLOW. Newer is not always better.

USB is certainly fast enough. But I doubt that the Model S will have a slave configuration for USB-USB data transfer (if it does == GOOD) and of course my laptop doesn't have a slave mode either. So that would mean a *double* transfer, moving data onto a USB stick and off of it, doubling the time.

I guess I could put in a USB-Ethernet dongle; that would probably get me the fastest data transfer speeds. Tesla may not have made that convenient, however.

The main application I'm thinking of is slurping large quantities of audio from my computer (where I've ripped them from my purchased CD / LP / tape collection) direct to the Tesla's hard drive. *Because the Model S appears to have no CD player*, I'm going to have to do this, and I'd like it to be as fast as possible. The fastest method of all would be to pull the Model S hard drive, stick it into my computer to fill it up, and put it back in the car, but I doubt they'll allow THAT.

Gigabit Ethernet over Cat 5e is a lot faster than WiFi, however, which is why my home is hardwired for local transfers between computers. For downloading multiple gigabytes of music to the Model S hard drive, WiFi is SLOW. Newer is not always better.

2nd. I have wired and wireless at home for that very reason. I'm thinking that, if the Model S has the ability to access Wi-Fi, one could set it up to do the transfers at night while it's sitting in the garage. It won't be fast, but if you're asleep, who cares? I'm actually just expecting to have to plug a USB drive into the thing to copy music over. Again, I'd just set that up and then go to sleep.

It should only be a huge issue for the first transfer. You can also hook up a portable drive to the USB if need be. I'd wager your cases are fringe cases... What average joe do you know that will run a cat5 cable to their car (or almost anything for that matter... Even today, setting up inter-pc networking isn't a simple matter for a casual user)?

2nd. I have wired and wireless at home for that very reason. I'm thinking that, if the Model S has the ability to access Wi-Fi, one could set it up to do the transfers at night while it's sitting in the garage. It won't be fast, but if you're asleep, who cares? I'm actually just expecting to have to plug a USB drive into the thing to copy music over. Again, I'd just set that up and then go to sleep.

It's the two-night aspect of the USB thing which bothers me. Well, perhaps I can get my collection onto an *external* 160 Gig USB drive before I get the car -- that will mean one of the nights is done before I get the car. :)

USB is certainly fast enough. But I doubt that the Model S will have a slave configuration for USB-USB data transfer (if it does == GOOD) and of course my laptop doesn't have a slave mode either. So that would mean a *double* transfer, moving data onto a USB stick and off of it, doubling the time.

I guess I could put in a USB-Ethernet dongle; that would probably get me the fastest data transfer speeds. Tesla may not have made that convenient, however.

The main application I'm thinking of is slurping large quantities of audio from my computer (where I've ripped them from my purchased CD / LP / tape collection) direct to the Tesla's hard drive. *Because the Model S appears to have no CD player*, I'm going to have to do this, and I'd like it to be as fast as possible. The fastest method of all would be to pull the Model S hard drive, stick it into my computer to fill it up, and put it back in the car, but I doubt they'll allow THAT.

No need for a USB slave mode. On my VW, you plug in a USB stick or SD card and hit the "copy to hard disk" button.

I currently have a 2011 Ford Edge with MyFord Touch. I bought a cheap (I think it was around $50) 500GB portable HD and leave it connected to the car all the time. This lets me have my entire music collection with me all the time.

The software in the Edge indexes all the content and lets me access it from the touch screen or using voice commands (which work quite well!). I'm assuming we'll be able to do something similar with the Tesla.

I currently have a 2011 Ford Edge with MyFord Touch. I bought a cheap (I think it was around $50) 500GB portable HD and leave it connected to the car all the time. This lets me have my entire music collection with me all the time.

The software in the Edge indexes all the content and lets me access it from the touch screen or using voice commands (which work quite well!). I'm assuming we'll be able to do something similar with the Tesla.

That's Microsoft Sync at work. Imagine that running on Tesla's Linux-based platform :wink:

That's Microsoft Sync at work. Imagine that running on Tesla's Linux-based platform :wink:

From watching some of the videos, I got the idea that this should be possible. I've seen mention of directly connecting USB devices, as well as using voice commands for music.

The parts I'm uncertain about are whether a USB HD will be indexed and show up in "My Devices" (or whatever it's called) and also whether the voice commands will work on local devices, or only for internet sources like TuneIn.

Old thread, but for the record, this is what I saw on the large display at a dealership (April 2015)

Tesla Model S ground clearance (with air and coil suspension):

6.4' / 163mm: Air suspension very high
6.0' / 153mm: Air suspension high
5.1' / 130mm: Air suspension normal
4.8' / 121mm: Air suspension low/highway
5.65' / 144mm: Coil suspension

Attachments

• IMG_4507.JPG
    IMG_4507.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 40