Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable Door Handles - Is It Practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know you're being half serious, but stand beside your car, count to 10, and tell me that wouldn't be annoying. 10 seconds is a long time :wink:
But my point is that the times when you don't have the fob and actually have to wait for the handles to extend will be almost never. Nearly every time you'll have the fob in your pocket and they will extend and you approach or if you don't have the tech pkg you'll hit the unlock button on the fob and they'll extend as you approach. This is a tempest in a teacup.

I was unclear. Automatically-extending is what I meant. Although I haven't seen anything from Tesla of what kind of remote/keyless function comes standard, I suppose one has to assume that a remote of some sort would be.
I'm sure the fob is the same but you'll have to pull the fob from your pocket and push the unlock button as you approach to get the handles to slide out and unlock the car.

Do you suppose all the key fobs are black, or will they be available to match the car color?

A tacky idea if you ask me; like all those silly colored computer mice :) Black's beautiful!

Agree with strider above. Without automatic keyless entry, the remote would work like any other car key remote fob out there. The automatic aspect is surely going to work well enough; this 10-sec speculation is probably misguided.

Even if it took 3 seconds, as long as the car sensed you were walking towards it within 5 feet, I don't think it would be much of an issue. If you didn't have the tech package, you could simply push the unlock button from as far away as the key fob worked so that also shouldn't be an issue. If it reduces drag by having them retract during driving, then I think it's a good idea.

I think it will take on the order of about 1/2 second for the handles to extend anyway.

By the way, what happens if the battery in the key fob goes out and I don't have a handy replacement? Will I be unable to start the car or even open the doors?

You can press the handles to extend, I'd imagine the Key Fob will also have a physical key inside

Yup, standard MO for all such 'easy access' key fobs (wife's Mini works this way).
Well, on my Corvette they gave you a separate physical key which allowed you to open the trunk. You could then put the fob in a slot in the glove box and the car would start when you hit the start button. But you had to crawl through the trunk to open the doors. Also, the car would warn you that the fob battery was getting low so if you ignored that message every time you started the car for weeks then you deserve to have to crawl through the trunk :p

I'm really hoping that the door handles (and the sunroof) will be operable for the cars that will be on display at Santana Row this weekend. I'd be a little spooked if there are lots of "this is disabled" excuses.

(assuming the cars on display are from the RC builds, if they are the hand-built ones, then I'd have other worries...).

/Mitch.