Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable Door Handles - Is It Practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even Franz seemed a bit unsure of their operation right there.

Katie also touched them in the above video to open them. Couple them with this text from the Model S features page:

1643636915.png

Depending on how you read that, it could be that they UNLATCH with a simple touch or that they SLIDE OUT with a simple touch... The pricing/options page still says this under tech package though:

Still not definitively saying much... I wonder if they were having issues with the proximity thing so they're slowly backing away? Or maybe in all of the scenarios in the video, the doors can't work as designed since they aren't actually approaching the car, they've either been getting out or standing next to it.
Don't forget this little tidbit --
key fob.png

That key fob picture looks awfully familiar. :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I think the retractable door handles has a certain "cool" factor, but it is still not as easy or fast as opening the doors with traditional door handles. It seems we have to depress the door handles and wait for the handles to slide out before we can pull it open. I know the handles are supposed to slide out automatically if we approach the car with the key, but for those instances when you want to open the doors without the key, it adds an extra step to what was previously a simple procedure.

If your life will be impacted by waiting 10 seconds for the handles to slide out on the rare occasion that you're not holding the fob then you have much bigger problems than the door handles on your car. On my Corvette the doors automatically locked when you walked away w/ the fob so you always had to have the fob to open the door. I have a set of hooks by the garage door, grab the fob on your way out and the handle will slide out as you approach. Also, IIRC if you hit the unlock button on the fob the handles will slide out so if you have a group going to get in you could double-tap the unlock button and all the handles will slide out, everyone jumps in, and off you go.

Sure, you can complain about the potential for them to break but this hang-up about the "delay" is bordering on ridiculous. I think as long as they are reliable I think it's a cool idea. But I'm a nerd and I'm perfectly fine w/ having overly complicated solutions to problems.

PS: My guess is the waiting is making everyone crabby so they're looking for things to grouse about. My feeling is that once deliveries start in earnest people's attitudes will improve.

If your life will be impacted by waiting 10 seconds for the handles to slide out on the rare occasion that you're not holding the fob then you have much bigger problems than the door handles on your car.

I know you're being half serious, but stand beside your car, count to 10, and tell me that wouldn't be annoying. 10 seconds is a long time :wink:

If your life will be impacted by waiting 10 seconds for the handles to slide out on the rare occasion that you're not holding the fob then you have much bigger problems than the door handles on your car.

Are you saying you would really be OK with waiting 10 seconds for the door handles to slide out? Really? I would venture to say for MOST people if the handles took 10 seconds to slide out that this would not be acceptable.

Now, I'm pretty sure it doesn't take that long to slide out but the point is, it's just an unnecessary delay.

Where's this stuff about 10 second delay coming from? I've seen them actuate, it takes a fraction of a second.

My G37 has keyless entry; I just have to tap a little button on the handle to unlock then open the door. Love it - convenient as hell, takes zero time. I'm certain the experience would be identical with the Model S.

Can I just mention that the fantastic convenience of keyless entry comes with a slightly inconvenient $3750 price tag (tech package). As far as I have seen we don't know what kind of remote control unlocking/handle extending (if any) comes standard...

Can I just mention that the fantastic convenience of keyless entry comes with a slightly inconvenient $3750 price tag (tech package). As far as I have seen we don't know what kind of remote control unlocking/handle extending (if any) comes standard...

Incorrect! Keyless entry, as I described above, is the default if you do NOT get the tech package. The automatically-extending-as-you-walk-up handles are in the tech package.

I don't know... If you look at the end of the Model X unveil video, you'll see the first person up on stage eventually had to reach inside and open it from the inside... Every time I've seen a beta the door handles have been "disabled". :confused:

Are you reffering the "Prototype" Model X. It's common knowledge how the production door handles will function. There was no reason to have them working. They weren't being highlighted at this event.

Last edited:
Incorrect! Keyless entry, as I described above, is the default if you do NOT get the tech package. The automatically-extending-as-you-walk-up handles are in the tech package.

I was unclear. Automatically-extending is what I meant. Although I haven't seen anything from Tesla of what kind of remote/keyless function comes standard, I suppose one has to assume that a remote of some sort would be.