Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
56617C57-AED2-475D-A953-7BAA8760A81F.jpeg
4F1E54D5-8EB9-4B48-9FBA-E1BCE675B9C4.jpeg
24BA061A-F017-4101-BEF5-736C073FC20B.jpeg

Finished my install tonight. Very happy with how smooth it went. Should take half and hour but took me two hours because I became OCD and decided to clean the innards of front before I put it together.
Here are my tips:
The service manual is now free for the public, see service.tesla.com. Extremely good manual, helpful for this job.
No need to disconnect the frunk access panel even though the manual says so. Instead, move the panel diagonally through the tub hole as you lift the tub out of the car.
Couldn’t find order number for the two M6 *40 filter housing retaining screws so used generic ones. You need very large washers, at least 25 mm.
Careful nut to pinch the orange high voltage cable as you tigthen down the new air duct.

View attachment 814786View attachment 814787View attachment 814788
Finished my install tonight. Very happy with how smooth it went. Should take half and hour but took me two hours because I became OCD and decided to clean the innards of front before I put it together.
Here are my tips:
The service manual is now free for the public, see service.tesla.com. Extremely good manual, helpful for this job.
No need to disconnect the frunk access panel even though the manual says so. Instead, move the panel diagonally through the tub hole as you lift the tub out of the car.
Couldn’t find order number for the two M6 *40 filter housing retaining screws so used generic ones. You need very large washers, at least 25 mm.
Careful nut to pinch the orange high voltage cable as you tigthen down the new air duct.
Awesome and very helpful tips on install. I agree, this is a fantastic deal.

Reactions: Olle
Do I understand correctly?

Sorry, no.

Think about it this way:
In an HEPA fitted car, all air brought into the cabin via fan goes through the HEPA filter.
Any air 'recirculated' inside the cabin goes through the cabin filter.

If BDM is activated the volume of air pulled into the car (and through the HEPA filter) is increased greatly. This is done to cause a positive pressure in the cabin compared to outside, thereby preventing outside air entering the cabin via routes other than via the filter. BDM requires the HEPA filter, but the monster sized HEPA filter is a fine addition to high quality cabin air without ever using BDM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle
Picked up my order at the Tesla service center today for my-21 Y. I cannot believe how they’re selling this for $106. That’s what I call a screaming deal. And also one of the most under appreciated features. I get used to the stench of traffic in the Y and then after several days drive the S and am like: what!? Can air be this clean! Lol
Will attempt install tonight and hopefully report back tomorrow View attachment 814710
Can you confirm the part numbers ordered?

REAR APRON 1619812-00-B
DUCT 1499137-99-C
HEPA Filter 1495167-00-B

Does anyone see a reason as to why Tesla isn't offering this retrofit? While it does seem simple enough to do myself, I've vowed to not make any mechanical changes to the car until past the warranty period.

Does anyone see a reason as to why Tesla isn't offering this retrofit? While it does seem simple enough to do myself, I've vowed to not make any mechanical changes to the car until past the warranty period.
Probably have too many backlog service requests as it is but it would be nice to have this as an option. My last mobile service appointment took almost a month to complete after getting rescheduled by the Service Center twice.

About a year ago, I needed some warranty body work done by the local Tesla owned body shop but was told they were only taking paid work (not warranty) and had a backlog over four months.

I saw another thread on retrofitting the parcel shelf just now, so I'm guessing it'll be up to the community here as a DIY option to document how to do it and what parts to order. For the less handy, I would imagine your local mechanic might do it for a fee if you bought the parts and gave them the instructions. Still would need to go to Tesla to get the software config change to get the bio-defense button.

Picked up my order at the Tesla service center today for my-21 Y. I cannot believe how they’re selling this for $106. That’s what I call a screaming deal. And also one of the most under appreciated features. I get used to the stench of traffic in the Y and then after several days drive the S and am like: what!? Can air be this clean! Lol
Will attempt install tonight and hopefully report back tomorrow

View attachment 814710

Can you confirm the part number on the duct in your picture?

Thank you @Silverlitmoon and @Olle for the details and photos. Like others, I put in my order today (even including the image of the part numbers provided above).
This seems like too good/straigh-forward of an improvement to pass up.

Sounds like we will need M6 hex bolts that are at least 40mm long? With a 25mm washer and nut? I will not have anything extra on hand so foresight on what I might need before installation will be very useful.

Also, have you noticed any diminished performace from the system after installation. @Silverlitmoon mentioned the airflow seemed reduced, from what you can tell is that likely due to the retrofit? I'll probably order new stock cabin filters too and just a complete overhaul and not think about it again for a while.

I kind of feel the same way but if it's a genuine Tesla part, that doesn't require any tie in to the electrical system and supposedly leverages the same blower model. I don't anticipate running into any major issues. I may also keep the repalced items in the event I need to reinstall it as a worst case scenario.

Last edited:
Thank you @Silverlitmoon and @Olle for the details and photos. Like others, I put in my order today (even including the image of the part numbers provided above).

Sounds like we will need M6 hex bolts that are at least 40mm long? With a 25mm washer and nut? I will not have anything extra on hand so foresight on what I might need before installation will be very useful.

Also, have you noticed any diminished performace from the system after installation. @Silverlitmoon mentioned the airflow seemed reduced, from what you can tell is that likely due to the retrofit? I'll probably order new stock cabin filters too and just a complete overhaul and not think about it again for a while.
You’re welcome 🙏. Yes 40 mm was perfect. Gave about 10 mm thread in. I wouldn’t recommend any longer, not knowing what’s beneath. Yes you need washers since the holes are much larger than at least normal m6 heads. I happened to have a 25 and a 30 which I used on each side respectively. Here is a pic of the 30. Nuts are not needed, they are already part of the car.
084FAA5A-F983-4472-AE94-77E4D583A18E.jpeg

I recall the old $500 S X HEPA (Bio Defence mode (BDM)) retrofit as a necessity for keeping customers happy in the transition from charging $3000 for PUP including to BDM included to standard as there was a dip in demand. People were kicking themselves for having ordered without PUP to save $3000 not getting BDM and perhaps canceling to reorder with “free“ BDM. I remember these exact discussions as a friend and I had each paid $3000 to get BDM right before it happened. Tesla didn‘t want to rock the boat with cancellations or any other bad will so this was perhaps a way to smooth things over.

Nowadays it’s the opposite. Flush with cash and “too many” customers. So it’s just scale, scale scale to satisfy demand as fast as physically possible. Low volume retrofit jobs would be a distraction from that goal. Just my 2C.

edit: Reg your warranty concern. I don’t think they would deny warranty for your modification, except for things directly damaged by said modification. here is a neat article on that. Keeping Your Mod's Warranty Intact - dummies

That said, its probably worth it to be careful when working on such an expensive car. there are a lot of things that can be damaged If mishandled.

Last edited:

I kind of feel the same way but if it's a genuine Tesla part, that doesn't require any tie in to the electrical system and supposedly leverages the same blower model. I don't anticipate running into any major issues. I may also keep the repalced items in the event I need to reinstall it as a worst case scenario.
Happy to share the experience to help others retrofit the filter. Yes, with the manual and all the information provided this is a relatively safe and easy install. I want to add that the small black plastic side clips attached on the fenders for the apron/cowl and frunk could break easily. Be careful pulling those two items out and setting back in. Relatively small thing but just in case. Also, @FrostY stated his 2020 MY did not have the threading and the guides so to reiterate on checking that those exist on the vehicle before ordering parts.

Lastly, I went to a showroom and checked the AC out on a MY with BDM and the airflow feels pretty similar to my retrofit Y set on fresh air. So in a way, from my perspective, it appears reduced (may be subjective) coming from the original open intake but then checking out an actual BDM MY demo unit, it seems the reduced airflow is normal for these newer cars. The only other thing I can add is the way the HEPA filter is designed to take in air, the fan noise subjectively feels lower pitched which is an improvement over the higher pitched fan noise on the open duct.