Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question is anyone having issues with their charging door? It opens fine but fails to close. I have to manually close it.

Most likely this is related to the firmware, but just double checking if anyone has encountered this.
Gen4 has... issues. Not related to the retrofit; it seems to affect any Gen4 car. Often happens after charging... the ECU just kinda "stops paying attention" to commands until it's awoken by pushing the charge door shut (don't worry - you CAN whack it shut - it clicks a ball-bearing torque clutch, not grinding gears).

Yeah, Gen4 isn't as polished as Gen3, but the same issues I see on other newer cars, like coworkers...

Once you "remind it that it's open", it'll respond to commands again. Yay, Tesla!

PXL_20220429_042137522.jpg
PXL_20220429_042036248.jpg

Works! I appreciate your work on this. :)

If you do the math, the per kW price stays relatively stable with their pricing setup. At least until you get to 90%......
that isnt the point. Energy should be charged per unit, no matter what type of energy we are talking about. Charging by time means the units you pay for may not always be the same price. Thats the whole point of gas pump calibration and testing, to certify that we are paying for a specific amount of energy for every dollar every time

I don't understand why electricity is treated differently...

Second time's the charm. The Korean proxy company received the adapter and it's on its way to me via FedEx. $244 for the adapter + $39 S/Hfor
Second time's the charm. The Korean proxy company received the adapter and it's on its way to me via FedEx. $244 for the adapter + $39 S/H
did anyone encounter unwillingness of their local SC staff to order the 1537264-00-B ECU ? I am chatting with my local SC and they are giving me hard time. very frustrating.
markup_Screenshot_20220429-131629.png

You’re giving too much information. I just simply said I needed the part to upgrade my ECU. They don’t even know about CCS compatibility at the service center from what I’ve seen. The service center I bought it from told me the system showed that the 80-B was the latest variant and was no different than the 00-B.

I posted above that there was one on eBay for sale in case anyone couldn’t get one from their local Tesla service center. It might already be sold though

You’re giving too much information. I just simply said I needed the part to upgrade my ECU. They don’t even know about CCS compatibility at the service center from what I’ve seen. The service center I bought it from told me the system showed that the 80-B was the latest variant and was no different than the 00-B.

I posted above that there was one on eBay for sale in case anyone couldn’t get one from their local Tesla service center. It might already be sold though
Yes, I suppose that's the case. Did you go to a SC in person or did you communicate through the app when you bought your ECU?
Alas, nothing available on ebay at the moment.

Yes, I suppose that's the case. Did you go to a SC in person or did you communicate through the app when you bought your ECU?
Alas, nothing available on ebay at the moment.
I first started making an appointment in the app, but as usual the Charlotte service center sucks and they didn't have any in stock anyway. I don’t live near any service center also btw. So then I decided to start calling around to other service centers to see if anybody had the part in stock and sure enough my favorite Richmond, VA service center did. Talked to the guy on the phone and he shipped it to me no problem. He was a little curious why I wanted it as like I said above his system told him I had the latest version but I obviously do not. Remember CCS is not a thing in North America, so any discussion point about it with any Tesla service Center is moot and is going to lead to nowhere.

Reactions: ager01
I first started making an appointment in the app, but as usual the Charlotte service center sucks and they didn't have any in stock anyway. I don’t live near any service center also btw. So then I decided to start calling around to other service centers to see if anybody had the part in stock and sure enough my favorite Richmond, VA service center did. Talked to the guy on the phone and he shipped it to me no problem. He was a little curious why I wanted it as like I said above his system told him I had the latest version but I obviously do not. Remember CCS is not a thing in North America, so any discussion point about it with any Tesla service Center is moot and is going to lead to nowhere.
my local SC just messaged me saying that the only part they can order is 80-B and that 00-B is not in stock at any warehouse. I called a SC in Philly and their parts manager told me that 00-B is backordered with no ETA available. Could this be indicative of an upcoming ECU revision?

Last edited:
Reactions: israndy
my local SC just messaged me saying that the only part they can order is 80-B and that 00-B is not in stock at any warehouse. I called a SC in Philly and their parts manager told me that 00-B is backordered with no ETA available. Could this be indicative of an upcoming ECU revision?
Family member of mine attempted to order from a SC in Arizona and was told they have 220 of them (00-B) in stock at the warehouse in Riverside, CA but the part number is being classified as "containment" and all are accounted for. Something about Model Y's and needing them for various service centers to install prior to delivery. It was also mentioned that there are more of these arriving at the Fremont factory everyday and supposedly the shortage should be short lived (1-2 weeks per SC rep). They were still allowed to order the part, but there would be a short wait. Please don't quote me on this FWIW

No just a part shortage like everything else these days. Just call around other service centers and tell them you’re looking for this part and hoping they can help you out. They don’t have to be in your state.

that isnt the point. Energy should be charged per unit, no matter what type of energy we are talking about. Charging by time means the units you pay for may not always be the same price. Thats the whole point of gas pump calibration and testing, to certify that we are paying for a specific amount of energy for every dollar every time

I don't understand why electricity is treated differently...
You may already know this, but it's dependent on state regulation. Some states only allow utility companies to bill by kWh. In those cases Tesla is forced to charge by unit of time. In practice it does work out to be quite close as already mentioned.

Reactions: android04
I snagged the one on eBay. Almost 2 weeks since I ordered and paid for an ECU through my local SC. Got tired of waiting. And my invoice says 80-B. If I do end up getting a 00-B from Tesla I’ll throw it back at Ya guys. Sounds like they really are delivering cars, at least to local delivery centers, with out CP ECU. I can’t imagine they’ll ever deliver a car to anyone without a CP ECU at all. But they’re probably prioritizing new deliveries over service center orders.

I snagged the one on eBay. Almost 2 weeks since I ordered and paid for an ECU through my local SC. Got tired of waiting. And my invoice says 80-B. If I do end up getting a 00-B from Tesla I’ll throw it back at Ya guys. Sounds like they really are delivering cars, at least to local delivery centers, with out CP ECU. I can’t imagine they’ll ever deliver a car to anyone without a CP ECU at all. But they’re probably prioritizing new deliveries over service center orders.
If you end up getting 00-B, please DM me

You may already know this, but it's dependent on state regulation. Some states only allow utility companies to bill by kWh. In those cases Tesla is forced to charge by unit of time. In practice it does work out to be quite close as already mentioned.
yes, I understand that. I was simply commenting on how its wrong to charge based on time rather than per unit of energy. Doesn't matter how "close" it is, its still not right

Gov keeps pushing for electric cars, but they can't figure out simple stuff like the proper way to charge for energy

@FalconFour and anyone else who might have some knowledge about this stuff

Any thoughts on the supposed 300A limit of the official Tesla ccs adapter? Clearly cars are pulling more. Is this dangerous? Or is Tesla being conservative and listing a continuous use rating or something?

yes, I understand that. I was simply commenting on how its wrong to charge based on time rather than per unit of energy. Doesn't matter how "close" it is, its still not right

Gov keeps pushing for electric cars, but they can't figure out simple stuff like the proper way to charge for energy
I get might be annoying, but I think there are bigger fish to fry. Of all the the issues making EV adoption tougher, per time charging vs per kWh charging aren’t really one of them.

Reactions: timberlights
Any thoughts on the supposed 300A limit of the official Tesla ccs adapter? Clearly cars are pulling more. Is this dangerous? Or is Tesla being conservative and listing a continuous use rating or something?
Stickers don’t mean much. For example v3 super chargers say they’re only rated for 350A but they output over 600amps to get up to 250kw.

Here’s the sticker on a v3 supercharger:

The adapter is completely passive. It’s also very heavy and feels solid. You can tell there is lots of metal in there. The charge port has tons of temperature sensors in it and I assume most charger have sensors in the handles and each will throttle power if it gets too hot.

Most of the time the duty cycle of these adapter is very short 30-40min max over the 300amp “rating”.

Status
Not open for further replies.