Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked the service center gentleman if they would hold onto it once it comes in or sell it to someone else. He said they allocate it to your car specifically. I am wondering if by not preapproving the estimate on the previous appointments that kept getting pushed (first by them, then by me, then by them etc.) it meant that the part didn’t actually get allocated to my vehicle so got sold to someone else.

Hopefully this time it actually comes in- we are taking a trip to a pretty remote area with EA stations and no local SC’s and barely even any J plugs.

A Ridiculously Easy Upgrade. "A child could do it!" - L. McCoy

Ordered the ECU via the Tesla app Service menu 05/11/22. 05/15/22, Tesla messages me "please come to the Decatur (Ga.) SC anytime to pick up your part". Couldn't buy it by going to the SC; had to use the app first. $140 + tax.

Interesting. I tried to order from the app and defaulting to the Kennesaw facility and it got cancelled. I walked into the Kennesaw facility and ordered it. They set up a service appointment (placeholder and not real appointment) and ordered at the counter. This was a few weeks ago and I just picked it up today. Was joking with them that I got the adapter quicker and it came from South Korea.

Will likely install it tomorrow evening and test on Friday at a CCS station near Woodstock.

Got notified of a waiting update on my car and figured it was now or never. Followed the instructions here, even though I have a Y which was just missing the ccs chip. Scariest part was all the popping getting to the part. Swapped it, applied update, and now ccs is enabled! Thanks to you all for the information! Now to test the adapter in the next few days.

We have an oct 21 built model y. Came without ccs enabled. Called the glendale, az service center this morning. They had the updated board in stock. I picked it up for $140 and installed myself tonight. Interestingly, my invoice indicated a $55.50 amount for labor, which was struck. Seems like a reasonable price to pay to have this done for anyone looking to have service just do the install. I'm happy to report another ccs enabled car!

Note, after the hardware install, I received an error message. Once I installed the pending software update I already had to do, ccs showed as enabled in my settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220525-203349_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220525-203349_Drive.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 1,998
  • 20220525_190304.jpg
    20220525_190304.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 134
Ordered the ECU via the Tesla app Service menu 05/11/22. 05/15/22, Tesla messages me "please come to the Decatur (Ga.) SC anytime to pick up your part". Couldn't buy it by going to the SC; had to use the app first. $140 + tax.

I saw your post earlier today, I submitted my order for the part through the service portal, and I had it within 90 minutes. (Buena Park Service/Delivery Center, in Orange County, CA)

Tesla App > Service > Request Service > Other > Something Else > in the "Describe Concern" box - Type "Want to order part for pickup. 1537264-00-B, Gen4 charge port ECU for Model 3"

I actually had a reply with an invoice within 5-10 minutes of my 'service request', and they told me it was in stock, and I could pick it up today. Hit approve invoice right away (list part is $140.00)
$150.85 later, i was out the door with a brand new shiny plastic box.

Bundle of wires arrives tomorrow according to USPS :cool:

Attachments

• ECU_invoice.jpg
    ECU_invoice.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 126
  • teslaservices_messages.jpg
    teslaservices_messages.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20220525-154823_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220525-154823_Tesla.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Just a shoutout to @FalconFour for doing fabulous detailed work on getting this upgrade off the ground, and to @BobbyC for making more wire harnesses (I still owe him for mine, his wife likes wine...now we know his Achilles heel...) and to et al, without whom we'd have no idea what that means.

Encourage all to visit @BobbyC's storefront to purchase said wire harness. Unfortunately, he's been banned for posting a link to his website (spam? srsly?), Buy his wire harness (he priced it same as @FalconFour's (because, because, because, because, becaaaaaause!) he doesn't feel that he should be competing).

More like helping to pay it forward.

Like I told Gabriel, one of the crew at my local SC when he was sincerely asking why I wanted to buy the ECU, "I can't not pimp my ride, dude." This kind of upgrade makes my 2018 Model 3 that much more useful to me, to the point of ash canning the idea of trading-in on a new Y. And, I no longer feel the need to buy a CHAdeMO adapter (especially since CHAdeMO is going away), and the SETEC CCS1 adapter that I purchased for $460 almost exactly one year ago which was used only a few times and was a GiantPainInTheHemorrhoids was eBay'd for a ridiculous price that paid for this Tesla-kinda-sorta-approved/shhhh don't tell anyone wink wink upgrade.

Srsly. $140 for the ECU. Greaaaat. $320 for the CCS1 adapter. Suuperrr. Ability to stand in a thunderstorm and argue with a recalcitrant EA charging station. Priceless...

Srsly. $140 for the ECU. Greaaaat. $320 for the CCS1 adapter. Suuperrr. Ability to stand in a thunderstorm and argue with a recalcitrant EA charging station. Priceless...
I have already done this, trying to get the ChaDeMo adapter working on a bricked EA station, surprisingly I managed to get a real live person in less than 2 minutes, and after reading them the station ID on the side of the unit, they were able to remote reboot it in less than 5 mins, and get me charging.

30 minutes start to finish. But this is with a neutered September 2021 build that just needed the updated ECU. I had checked out access earlier and saw the fabric liner was flexible enough to pull back and get to the charge port ECU. Just pull out from behind the weatherstripping and the upper trunk edge trim, pull the liner and there is the ECU.

I picked up the new ECU yesterday on my way home from the airport. Had an update waiting so I did not need to put in Service Mode. I rolled the dice without powering down anything. Just, pulled back the liner, removed the 10mm screw and unplugged the connectors. Then reversed with the new ECU. Six error codes popped up immediately. Installed the update and no errors present.

CCS Adapter Support: Enable

My adapter came in Tuesday from Harumio. Not eager to test and I do not expect any issues but will when the chance arrives.

20220526_221416061_iOS.jpg
20220526_221422330_iOS.jpg

Encourage all to visit @BobbyC's storefront to purchase said wire harness. Unfortunately, he's been banned for posting a link to his website (spam? srsly?), so just go here: 2 much sun dot com. Buy his wire harness (he priced it same as @FalconFour's (because, because, because, because, becaaaaaause!) he doesn't feel that he should be competing).
This is incredible; please pass along my thanks! (And perhaps ping to @jjrandorin to nudge and say, unban pls? Bans are serious business! Hopefully it's only temporary?)

I've edited the original post to point people in that direction as well. Super happy to have another source building these.

A Ridiculously Easy Upgrade. "A child could do it!" - L. McCoy

Many thanks to @BobbyC, who made the wiring harness and helped me do the ECU swap! We went to the Decatur SC to access Service Mode, then drove to downtown Decatur, parked in a municipal lot (where there are 2 free L2s) and did the upgrade. Problem: to complete the upgrade, the car needs WiFi to download the software update. Solution: my iPhone's hotspot.

We walked 4 blocks to have a beer at the Brickstore Pub while the car installed the update. Problem: my iPhone had to stay in the car in order for the download to take place. Solution: turnoff bluetooth on the iPhone, lock the iPhone in the car using my Tesla keycard, go have a Kölsch and an enlightening conversation with @BobbyC.

The entire process, from start to finish, probably would have taken 30 min, including the time for the software update download/install. But, hey, there was beer.

Post upgrade, we drove to a nearby EA installation. 182 kW peak on a 350 kW dispenser, and, typical of EA installations, the first dispenser stopped charging after ~ 4 min and we noticed that the cable/connector was quite hot, but the CCS adapter was not. We switched to the other dispenser and another 5 min charging session went off without a hitch, again maxing out at 180ish kW, but settling down to 130ish for most of the 5 min session.

We used @BobbyC's CCS adapter, as mine is enroute from Korea. Total game changer in my book, because I tow a Burro camper and go places where there are no Superchargers...not to mention busy Superchargers...and even the lowly 24kW CCS chargers at Chevy/Harley dealerships are better than L2.

Dont want to derail the thread, but that looks awfully a lot like the Adairsville Supercharger in GA. I've been to it many times. :)

Reactions: sTv0
Ended up running out to my office and decided to test the new ECU and adapter. Only dropped to 85% SoC when I got to a nearby EA station (for those local, the BoA at Hwy 92 and Trickum Rd). I pulled in and hooked up and said it could not connect, try pushing in the plug further. I tried a few more times and nothing. I decided to move and when disconnecting the plug from the adapter I noticed the plug handle was cracked at the top. I moved to another stall and that one worked immediately. Charged at 33kW up to 88% and then I disconnected.

Just to be sure, ran it back down to 85% and stopped at the Woodstock Outlet's Supercharger. That worked and charged at 38kW so not a terrible difference with no pre-conditioning for either.

Ready to plan a trip soon with greater options...

As a side note to the above when testing. While I was charging, another M3 pulls up. He parks by one stall and then move to another. I ask him the year of the vehicle, expecting to have a quick conversation on changes he made. He says he has no idea and it's a rental. I then see the J1772 adapter in hand. I pointed him to the Woodstock Outlets Supercharger to top off. He was parked and charging when I go there to test.

Reactions: jsight
Hi everyone. Can Tesla install the CCS retrofit or is this something you have to DIY? There’s a lot of posts here - so I’m just trying to figure out what is required and if I could do it…

Is it simply swapping out the ECU? The car will update itself ? I saw the OP had tons of errors originally…

I have a 2018 M3 RWD LR.

And I assume you need to buy the CCS adapter from Korea?

Went to EA 350kW unit at P'tree Corners, GA to test CCS upgrade. Unit's card reader worked 1st time which is big improvement
from times I used Setec adapter. got error about cable not connected. Switched to 2nd cable on unit, card reader worked, and charging
starting. Began with 26% SOC. Est time to 80% was 25 minutes which is about same as Supercharger.
Max speed was about 155kW with rest of abbreviated session around 100kW.
Big thanks to FF and others for assistance and informative posts with pics.

Reactions: sTv0
Hi everyone. Can Tesla install the CCS retrofit or is this something you have to DIY? There’s a lot of posts here - so I’m just trying to figure out what is required and if I could do it…

Is it simply swapping out the ECU? The car will update itself ? I saw the OP had tons of errors originally…

I have a 2018 M3 RWD LR.

No, Tesla does not yet offer a retrofit kit for sale nor installation. You will have to DIY.

I have a 2018 M3 RWD LR.

As far as I know, Tesla Service will probably not help you with this upgrade. Although I'm not sure that anyone has tried asking. It involves swapping out your current charge port ECU with a Gen4 1537264-00-B version (~$140 from Tesla Parts), adding in the custom wiring harness ($80 on eBay or you can source your own parts online) and performing a software install. Of course you'll also need the Tesla CCS1 adapter, currently available from South Korea (~$300) and not yet from USA.

Tearing open the left side trunk is needed to get to the ECU. Adding the wiring harness (which I believe now comes already assembled) is just a matter of plugging the ends into their respective receptacles. As to the software install, you can do this two ways: 1) wait until the car is ready for a new software update before swapping out the ECU or 2) use the factory's service mode to force a software reinstall. I'd recommend the first choice.

I have a June 2018 build and have everything right now except the ECU. For me, that's been the hardest part to obtain. And I would say that you should do this update mainly if you foresee a large enough CCS usage to justify the total cost. In my case I would be able to use a local ChargePoint station, which I've been using for a couple of years (with a CHAdeMO adapter) because it's cheaper for me to charge there.

I have a June 2018 build and have everything right now except the ECU. For me, that's been the hardest part to obtain.
You could try Tulsa, OK. They seemed very willing to order the part and shipping cost $8 something. Total cost was $161.XX. The person told me the price before I gave my address, so I think its just a flat rate to get it shipped.

Reactions: miles267
Status
Not open for further replies.