Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If / when a factory CCS charging solution is released to the public, count on some resentment from non-Tesla EV owners about "us" moving in on "their" territory. Best case, Tesla should enable non-Tesla charging at Superchargers before, or at the same time, they release their CCS hardware. That may smooth out the transition.
There's been significant reporting on this in the EV press, but in case anybody missed it, there's a small snippet in a recent White House press release about DC fast charging developments that's relevant:
Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.
Some news articles have taken this to mean that Superchargers will begin to provide CCS1 access in North America by the end of 2022; but the precise wording is that the equipment will begin production by then. It could, of course, take a while after that before the first CCS1-enabled Superchargers open in North America; and even longer before significant numbers of Supercharger stations have this support. There's also the whole "Elon Time" thing -- although I expect that an estimate for when they can start adding CCS1 capability to Superchargers would be far easier to get right than an estimate of when Robotaxis will be roaming our streets without drivers. That said, my impression is that Tesla managed to add CCS2 support to Superchargers in Europe pretty quickly -- but of course they were motivated by the need to support Model 3 sales in that case. Here in the USA, Tesla's main motivation to add CCS1 support is to get grant money to offset the cost of building new stations, so my suspicion is that new Supercharger stations is where most of the CCS1 plugs will go, at least initially.

Of course, this is all quite speculative.

We have a free DCFC here in town and there is often a lot of grumbling around others showing up to charge. A sign regulates charging time to 30 minutes so it should all be good, but people will already have charged to 90% when you show up and sit there until they hit 100% and there isn't really anything you can do. Consequently people are in a bad mood when they arrive. So I have taken a lot of guff over the years showing up with my Tesla. I will always set a timer for 1/2 an hour consequently and if someone arrives I'll leave when it goes off. Still I hear: "You know they have a Supercharger in town, why are you charging here". I respond "Because it's free, just like you're doing". Usually that curtails the taunting, but I have had to mention the EA station that is equidistant from the free charger on many occasions and it seems people don't even know it exists. They live and die by the availability of the one free DC charger in town (that has been offline for a few months now).

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Nah, if the car is telling you the wall connector's plug is getting too hot, that's a message the wall connector is sending to the vehicle through digital communication (something J1772 can't do). Best I can tell, a charge port issue will reference the "charge port", not the "wall connector".

I've had weird glitches like that occur because of exotic and wacky and wonderful hacks I was doing... making 240v out of 2x 120v outlets across the garage, but also adding my grid-tie inverters on the same line (120v inverter on each side). I was frustrated by it at first (what do you mean?! "plug too hot"?! It's ice cold!), but when I found that a dumb-no-brains JuiceBox was blacking-out erratically as well (somehow tripping its AC/DC power supply inside and losing power), I realized: oh yeah my setup is definitely no bueno.

If you have potentially similar wonkiness "behind the plug" in your garage, it might be causing those erratic messages :)
Lovely.
After I sent the message I also figured that it was something coming in over SWCAN but figured it was still prudent to ask. :)

It's a rental, and I'm probably out of here in October, so.. I'll see if I can move it to a different outlet and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks for the info and coming up with this solution. :)

-Matt

Reactions: FalconFour
I promise this is the last post about my CCS retrofit.
😂
Headed to Leavenworth, WA to meet up with some friends at Icicle Brewing Company for a couple beverages and dinner at Watershed Cafe. — Got the SoC below 50%. Used the Electrify America at Safeway, the 350kW stations. I've seen reports of Model Y's hitting at least 175kW, which I could have probably done if I was closer to 10-20% SoC. Interestingly enough, if I set the destination to an Electrify America, my Model 3 will pre-condition (I'm sure it's been this way for a while, but first time for me). Peak was 151kW for quite a while. Extremely pleased.

1657526620765.png
1657526636249.png

1657526659161.png
1657526673614.png

I promise this is the last post about my CCS retrofit.
😂
Headed to Leavenworth, WA to meet up with some friends at Icicle Brewing Company for a couple beverages and dinner at Watershed Cafe. — Got the SoC below 50%. Used the Electrify America at Safeway, the 350kW stations. I've seen reports of Model Y's hitting at least 175kW, which I could have probably done if I was closer to 10-20% SoC. Interestingly enough, if I set the destination to an Electrify America, my Model 3 will pre-condition (I'm sure it's been this way for a while, but first time for me). Peak was 151kW for quite a while. Extremely pleased.

How did you manage to have the car automatically precondition by setting a fast charger as destination other than a supercharger?

How did you manage to have the car automatically precondition by setting a fast charger as destination other than a supercharger?
That is the question. It's been standard procedure when navigating to a Supercharger that the car starts to precondition some miles / time before arriving at the stations. I've not tried entering an EA site as my destination but will try it sometime later today. BTW, if it matters I'm on 2022.12.3.2.

That is the question. It's been standard procedure when navigating to a Supercharger that the car starts to precondition some miles / time before arriving at the stations. I've not tried entering an EA site as my destination but will try it sometime later today. BTW, if it matters I'm on 2022.12.3.2.
I was on 2022.16.1.3 and didn't have that option.
I am now on 2022.20.5 and haven't tried yet myself.

May it is available for only certain brands fast chargers in certain areas?

My Model 3 was built in August 2021 in Freemont and says that CCS isn't included. I did buy a 1537264-00-B Gen4 charge controller today. Is there a step by step of what needs to be done to replace my current charge controller somewhere buried in the 58 pages of this post, or somewhere else?

Thanks.

My Model 3 was built in August 2021 in Freemont and says that CCS isn't included. I did buy a 1537264-00-B Gen4 charge controller today. Is there a step by step of what needs to be done to replace my current charge controller somewhere buried in the 58 pages of this post, or somewhere else?

Thanks.

Reactions: SylvainG
Thanks!

Beside my Hansshow Frunk automatic opener/closer, that will be my most intense modification yet.

Thanks.
Everything you (should) need to know is condensed into one post - the very first post is kept up to date. Please (to you and anyone else that comes along and gets vertigo looking at the 58 pages - rightly so), definitely read it to avoid headaches ;)

If there isn't something covered in the first post, let me know and I'll update it!

Reactions: GleanerC
Everything you (should) need to know is condensed into one post - the very first post is kept up to date. Please (to you and anyone else that comes along and gets vertigo looking at the 58 pages - rightly so), definitely read it to avoid headaches ;)

If there isn't something covered in the first post, let me know and I'll update it!

Do I have to enter service mode or can i just install it and apply the update that is pending (2022.16.3 in this case)?

Edit:... i think i found my answer here Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

Last edited:
Reactions: FalconFour
For now, there's going to be a very small population of Teslas that will be using CCS stations. If / when a factory CCS charging solution is released to the public, count on some resentment from non-Tesla EV owners about "us" moving in on "their" territory.
From now on, I'm going to start posting photos of my car charging at CCS stations to build awareness that Teslas support the standard.

Here are a couple from my weekend road trip to the Sierra Nevada.
Cruisers | PlugShare

Reactions: gt2690b
Installing it via the update is the preferred method. Using service mode is less desirable - for impatience. :) It's absolutely not required. (I just added a little blurb on this to the first post - thanks!)
Ok i got my ECU from the service center $140 ($151 after tax)..

BUT has anyone done this on a model y (7 seater specifically).. the Y trim is pretty different than the 3... i suppose i may just start ripping things apart i do not see any of those round clips

Attachments

• PXL_20220712_230338388.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220712_230338388.MP.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.