Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is on shop now being upgraded for free. They actually did the right thing.
1674568466122.gif

Swivel motors isn’t an approved retrofit. Had a long conversation with SC about it. The SA reached out to Engineering about it. You can get the parts, but Engineering won’t allow it to be “turned on” in the Gateway config.
If it is that simple I hope Tesla will change its mind and allow the retrofit. I want all the features that are designed into my Model S.

Reactions: misc3r and Fulkth
I’m guessing based on what his bio says he lives in Rochester New York and the closest service center is:

3300 W Henrietta Rd
Rochester, NY 14623
United States

guy is such a pain can’t believe he left this info and just bailed. Should be banned IMO.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I’m guessing based on what his bio says he lives in Rochester New York and the closest service center is:

3300 W Henrietta Rd
Rochester, NY 14623
United States

guy is such a pain can’t believe he left this info and just bailed. Should be banned IMO.
Go easy on him, Looks like he doesn post much, might be new, might not visit the forum that often. It’s been about 1 week since he posted about the free retrofit. Give it some time, Talking to internet strangers might not be on his priority list. It sucks, I’d also love to get all the details that would help everyone here, but suggesting someone should be banned because they didn’t do exactly what you want, when you want….. I know it’s frustrating, but we’re all on the same team…

3300 W Henrietta Rd
Rochester, NY 14623
United States

Agree. I think I got what my SA wants and see if they can pull up the free upgrade invoice in Tesla system. (If the location he marks is real)

Reactions: cwanja and Fulkth
I'm not quite sure what all you guys do in your cars. I drive my car, not hang out in it to play games. If I want to play games, I do it at home, not in a car.
Yesterday, I spent 2 hours sitting in my MYLR right in front of my house. Took calls, screwed with features, researched aftermarket parts, played Sudoku, etc.

Getting past the fascination with this new car is taking some time.

Go easy on him, Looks like he doesn post much, might be new, might not visit the forum that often. It’s been about 1 week since he posted about the free retrofit. Give it some time, Talking to internet strangers might not be on his priority list. It sucks, I’d also love to get all the details that would help everyone here, but suggesting someone should be banned because they didn’t do exactly what you want, when you want….. I know it’s frustrating, but we’re all on the same team…
No. He logged in a few days ago and didn’t even say anything.

Just logging in for the first time in a while to join in on this fun. I have one of the first 2021 refreshed Xs, and have been waiting a bit for information to come out on the two lingering retrofit options for us early buyers (tilting screen and Steam/gaming capability). On my screen tilt issue, I was told by my service center "Tilting screens is not available as a retrofit for legacy Model X at this time. Please stay tuned for updates as this may be available at a later time". I find this amusing as apparently my refresh X is already a legacy vehicle.

Hopefully small claims isn't required on this like @zero2? may be attempting.

• Funny
Reactions: Mako11
I got a Steam Deck. It lives in my glovebox.
While I see a lot of your points guys.. the stress and headache of trying to get Tesla to take care of this free of charge is costing more than a $500 Steam Deck when you really think about your sanity.

I have been on steam for over 10 years. Have over 800 games. I really wish that my car could natively play steam as much as you guys trust me! But sometimes you gotta just know when to shut the door!

11 pages in no one has been able to (definitively) get Tesla to play ball. Give it a rest!

No.

I actually don’t care that much about Steam. If I’m going to play a game it will be at home, not in my car.

However.

Elon and Tesla directly lied. Tesla continuously tries to get away with this. It literally isn’t about playing games in the car for me.

I really want to like Tesla. They’ve done a lot for EVs, but this whole idea of using customers as an experiment to further their own ends needs to stop yesterday. At some point you need to act like an actual company and stop lying to people.

I like my S a lot, but the “ownership experience” has been *sugar*. I lived with being delivered summer tires in winter in Colorado. I am living with a center console that acts like it belongs on a Hot Wheels toy with broken lighting I’m told is “in spec.” These things I can deal with, as I’ve had similar things on my Acuras and Fords and VWs.

But a major advertised feature that we were told was “coming soon” at the time of purchase turning into a “$2000, please” a year later?

Yeah, screw that.

Keep fighting and being annoying to the SCs, everyone. Be a pain in the ass.

No.

I actually don’t care that much about Steam. If I’m going to play a game it will be at home, not in my car.

However.

Elon and Tesla directly lied. Tesla continuously tries to get away with this. It literally isn’t about playing games in the car for me.

I really want to like Tesla. They’ve done a lot for EVs, but this whole idea of using customers as an experiment to further their own ends needs to stop yesterday. At some point you need to act like an actual company and stop lying to people.

I like my S a lot, but the “ownership experience” has been *sugar*. I lived with being delivered summer tires in winter in Colorado. I am living with a center console that acts like it belongs on a Hot Wheels toy with broken lighting I’m told is “in spec.” These things I can deal with, as I’ve had similar things on my Acuras and Fords and VWs.

But a major advertised feature that we were told was “coming soon” at the time of purchase turning into a “$2000, please” a year later?

Yeah, screw that.

I can't really disagree, but technicalities might get them off, since it was never promised we'd get Steam. I'm just advising people not to spend $2+k on Steam since it's not even slightly worth it unless you live in your car.

I can't really disagree, but technicalities might get them off, since it was never promised we'd get Steam. I'm just advising people not to spend $2+k on Steam since it's not even slightly worth it unless you live in your car.
Based on my experience, having owned 5 Teslas over the past 5 years. Features trickle in and “legacy” hardware gets bypassed. It always starts gradually and becomes more prevalent over time.
My 2018 100D (MCU2) is getting fewer and fewer new features compared to our newer cars. (21 Plaid Model S & 23 LR MY)
My thoughts are that Steam is just the first of many features that will not go to my 8gb car computer down the road. Promised or not.

Reactions: leecox and Bull
Based on my experience, having owned 5 Teslas over the past 5 years. Features trickle in and “legacy” hardware gets bypassed. It always starts gradually and becomes more prevalent over time.
My 2018 100D (MCU2) is getting fewer and fewer new features compared to our newer cars. (21 Plaid Model S & 23 LR MY)
My thoughts are that Steam is just the first of many features that will not go to my 8gb car computer down the road. Promised or not.
I don’t necessarily disagree with that sentiment, either. But my original point remains, as it pertains to what people think Tesla owes them, and whether - right now - it’s worth spending the money. Other features certainly weren’t promised…

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
I don’t necessarily disagree with that sentiment, either. But my original point remains, as it pertains to what people think Tesla owes them, and whether - right now - it’s worth spending the money. Other features certainly weren’t promised…
Don’t get me wrong I absolutely think that it should be at no charge. The capabilities of our cars were clearly misrepresented.
However, it would be a much worse situation if an upgrade wasn’t possible at all at any price.

Reactions: Fulkth
No.

However.

Yeah, screw that.

You can choose whatever hills to die on my man.. it’s your life! Best of luck with “being a pain in Tesla’s ass”. It won’t get you anywhere and was only offering my comment as I felt bad for those who feel duped by Tesla.

I completely agree with your stance on Tesla treating their customers like crap with build quality concerns and others receiving cars with “within spec” problems that are clearly broken parts or crappy workmanship.

My experience with Tesla has been just as bad as you describe. I have problems with my cars too that Tesla has horrible to deal with on.

With regard to the whole “ps5 level gaming” advertisements and all - I knew completely what I was getting into and have learned my lesson to not take everything Tesla (especially Musk) says as a 100% guarantee. I don’t expect Steam (or CyberPunk) to be playable in my car anytime soon. Helped me swallow the “where is my Steam in this update?” pill.

since it was never promised we'd get Steam. I'm just advising people not to spend $2+k on Steam since it's not even slightly worth it unless you live in your car.
That's not the card they want to play, believe me. Unless you think it'd actually be more expensive for Tesla to provide this retrofit gratis and use the steam API than engineer a new solution from scratch to natively run The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk ("at 60 frames per second", per Musk) in a MS.

The other thing I want is back seat gaming. Without Steam, I don't have it. I want the damned functionality that was promised to me. I haul three kids in the back of my S for a couple of hours at a time when we go to our vacation property, and this would be a really nice feature to have. There were photos and advertisements on the website when I placed my order that showed this. Deliver it, Tesla.

vvv Screengrab from Wayback the day I placed my order (Feb 4, 2021) vvvv

Attachments

• Advertisement.JPG
    Advertisement.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 56
That's not the card they want to play, believe me. Unless you think it'd actually be more expensive for Tesla to provide this retrofit gratis and use the steam API than engineer a new solution from scratch to natively run The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk ("at 60 frames per second", per Musk) in a MS.

The other thing I want is back seat gaming. Without Steam, I don't have it. I want the damned functionality that was promised to me. I haul three kids in the back of my S for a couple of hours at a time when we go to our vacation property, and this would be a really nice feature to have. There were photos and advertisements on the website when I placed my order that showed this. Deliver it, Tesla.

vvv Screengrab from Wayback the day I placed my order (Feb 4, 2021) vvvv
That image is still there. Also, even with Steam there’s no backseat gaming yet. And even if there were it would be worthless on such a small screen.

I do think Tesla’s disingenuousness is uncool.

I may be contrarian, but I am surprised this thread has continued for 13 pages. To me, there is little utility in huffing and puffing about whether features arguably promised were delivered or not (tilting screen, Steam, 2-zone audio etc.). If people don't like Tesla or the car or feel they were misrepresented, get rid of it all and be done with the Tesla experience. My MSLR is my first Tesla, and my experience has not been perfect. However, life is far too short for me to lose a minute of sleep over things like this. My $0.02.