Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know how much money Tesla is saving by eliminating temperature sensors? About $5 per car.

Thermistor

(EDIT) Oops... That is for a pack of 5. So I guess it's more like $1 per car. Yep, kudos to Elon for keeping Tesla profitable!!
You could say that for every cost reduction exercise done by every successful major corporation such as Apple.

Reactions: jboy210 and WyoDude
There is a larger area of the continental US without effective cell service than you might think. Unless the cars will be using Starlink as a backup.
Ahhhhh you are getting there. Starlink can and will be officially be made available for that is indeed the Starlink use case that the government has approved.

Highland - Starlink connected vehicles for better NN integration

Last edited:
Reactions: WyoDude and DrGriz
I have feeling the big change for the new M3 is the battery pack.

Tesla has been sending out notices that said it is unlikely that the M3 RWD will get any of the revised FED Credit due to the Prismatic LFP battery that is made in China. Will Tesla continue with the current Prismatic LFP, switch over to 4680? Who knows.

I still think the variations of LFP Prismatic is going really compete well against Tesla's 4680 format

Do you know how much money Tesla is saving by eliminating temperature sensors? About $5 per car.

Thermistor

(EDIT) Oops... That is for a pack of 5. So I guess it's more like $1 per car. Yep, kudos to Elon for keeping Tesla profitable!!

Death by a thousand cuts.
Or profit by a thousand cuts.
A thousand silly optimizations make for one huge improvement.

Thermistor

You need the part.
You need wiring.
You need labor to wire it up.
You need programming to read and use the sensor, and to recognize when there's a spurious reading.

So, it's not actually $1 per car.

More information is leaking out about the new car.

But IMO the bigger news is the CATL factory nearing completion and the M3P battery going into Teslas build in China in perhaps the next 3-6 months. 15% energy density improvement, with another ~15% improvement if using the new CATL battery packaging.

The M3P batteries can recharge from 10% to 80% in 10 minutes! 5 minutes for a 500 mile range.

Perhaps we might see a Long Range RWD using Lithium phosphate batteries with a 700km range and the base RWD becoming cheaper and lighter (~100kg)
I presume the Performance will need to wait for the 4680 which will give them ~15% increase in density.

For Americans it may be some time until those CATL packs are available state side, as CATL is building a factory for completion in <2 years.

IMO I think prismatic/blade/lithium Phosphate is the future overall, while 4680 is the future for higher performance in the US.

The HW4 stuff seems like a mild improvement. While the HW4 computer probably can't be retrofitted, I wonder if the front cameras can? Running two 5 MP cameras probably isn't much more compute intensive than 3 x 1.7Mp cameras. Not sure Self Driving's main features (driving on the road) will really need the 5 MP cameras on the side and back as much as they need it on the front. As most of the time you are driving forward at speed, and things beside or behind you are coming towards you fairly slowly in comparison. The camera housing should be fairly easy to replace from within the cabin.

More information is leaking out about the new car.

But IMO the bigger news is the CATL factory nearing completion and the M3P battery going into Teslas build in China in perhaps the next 3-6 months. 15% energy density improvement, with another ~15% improvement if using the new CATL battery packaging.

The M3P batteries can recharge from 10% to 80% in 10 minutes! 5 minutes for a 500 mile range.
Tesla Model 3 With CATL's M3P Battery to Launch in China, Offers Better Range, Lower Price claims that the CATL M3P battery is a lithium phosphate battery that uses "a mix of materials that include magnesium, zinc, and aluminum" instead of iron.

(In this context of CATL batteries, "M3P" does not refer to "Model 3 Performance".)

(In this context of CATL batteries, "M3P" does not refer to "Model 3 Performance".)
No, but it seems likely they will feature in Teslas. The M3P does seem like a curious name and could be a point of confusion.

Elon has stated he think eventually everything will be lithium Phosphate batteries. The industry is shifting. So its a question of when. Although colder climates have a bit more of an issue with phosphate batteries.

Tesla semi are apparently using CATL Lithium Phosphate batteries currently.

BYD Seal has a performance model with similar performance to a model 3 performance with lithium phosphate batteries.
NCM batteries are expensive, cobalt is a bottle neck, not ethically mined and also at their development end.

No, but it seems likely they will feature in Teslas. The M3P does seem like a curious name and could be a point of confusion.

Elon has stated he think eventually everything will be lithium Phosphate batteries. The industry is shifting. So its a question of when. Although colder climates have a bit more of an issue with phosphate batteries.

Tesla semi are apparently using CATL Lithium Phosphate batteries currently.

BYD Seal has a performance model with similar performance to a model 3 performance with lithium phosphate batteries.
NCM batteries are expensive, cobalt is a bottle neck, not ethically mined and also at their development end.
I luv my Iron Man car (lfp) :)

But the these China batteries are going to be an issue as the Fed credit will not apply to these cars.

The China battery does seem fantastic. However, there has been a lot of outrageous claims related to battery technology. I want to see it before I believe their proclamations.

Reactions: enemji
Yeah CATL is one of the most reputable battery manufacturers in the world so an announcement like this should be trustworty.

But then again, Tesla is one of the most reputable battery manufacturers in the world and they made almost identical lofty promises years ago which never materialized. And like @Niroc said, every battery company makes outrageous claims, that's just the way the battery industry works.

1680060785888.png

I luv my Iron Man car (lfp) :)

But the these China batteries are going to be an issue as the Fed credit will not apply to these cars.

The China battery does seem fantastic. However, there has been a lot of outrageous claims related to battery technology. I want to see it before I believe their proclamations.

The advanced batteries are already in cars in China.

Things are moving very, very fast in China. CATL new massive China factory is just meters from Giga shanghai. They will be supplying Tesla and others.

US isn't the only market for EV's. 60% of the worlds EV's are sold within China. US is like 10%. Which is like a rounding error. Even the EU doesn't really matter.
JgqrJdua4srUbFlXUZdrsXTYZiYwVL~1.jpg

The EV war will be won or lost in China. CATL doesn't make cars, so supplying Tesla is a huge priority for their business.

Which is why a model 3 refresh is needed. Not for the US or EU markets, but for China. I would expect the model 3 refresh to highlight things important for the Chinese market. Which is very competitive, and the model 3 is still very much an important car, where as in the US people seem to think more model y or cybertruck.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
The advanced batteries are already in cars in China.
a lot of "could be" / "might be" in that article... I'll hold my horses until I see official EPA or WLTP numbers for those battery promises.

"Now, it would appear this could be considerably more, assuming the 1,000km range in fact refers to real world range. However this is unclear, and since China’s CLTC ratings are somewhat similar to NEDC, it may mean the actual range of the 009 is closer to the 700km figure"

may mean that we are talking about (30%) less range ...

a lot of "could be" / "might be" in that article... I'll hold my horses until I see official EPA or WLTP numbers for those battery promises.
It's already in production. It's already for sale. There is no promise. It's performance is known, the zeekr 009 has been on sale scince Jan.

700-1000km is because they will go into different cars with different sized battery packs. The 009 is a mini van.

The main issues for the US market is no north American manufacturing, and cold weather performance. But catl supplies tesla usa already, from china. These are better batteries, likely cheaper by 15% per watt hr.

Tesla will probably reintroduce a rwd long range, while the rwd will just get a smaller battery pack, same range but a price drop of, $5k.

The long range awd and performance will retain same chemistry. Maybe move to 4680 cell packaging.

• Informative
It's already in production. It's already for sale. There is no promise. It's performance is known, the zeekr 009 has been on sale scince Jan.

700-1000km is because they will go into different cars with different sized battery packs. The 009 is a mini van.

The main issues for the US market is no north American manufacturing, and cold weather performance. But catl supplies tesla usa already, from china. These are better batteries, likely cheaper by 15% per watt hr.

Tesla will probably reintroduce a rwd long range, while the rwd will just get a smaller battery pack, same range but a price drop of, $5k.

The long range awd and performance will retain same chemistry. Maybe move to 4680 cell packaging.
I am not buying. Tesla is all about making cars cheaper. If there was a cheaper battery from CATL with more range, Tesla would be on it.

Funny how a car has been out since January and we know nothing about the capacity of the pack or cost? I will wait for the actual data.

You need the part.
You need wiring.
You need labor to wire it up.
You need programming to read and use the sensor, and to recognize when there's a spurious reading.

So, it's not actually $1 per car.
Well said. And worse the company has to maintain this model with service and spare parts for years and years. The more cars that share the same parts the better off the company and their customers are in later year maintenance and repairs.

Reactions: enemji