Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also I am a bit concerned that those don't look like a matrix headlight. Hopefully they didn't give-up on developing the software for it in the future.
Honestly I don’t think that was ever in the cards. I think they primarily went to matrix headlights to allow them to use the same part worldwide (would just need software to meet the different beam pattern requirements). If they managed to figure out how to do that with reflectors, I’m sure Tesla would gladly take the cheaper route.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
Doesn’t surprise me that they removed the fog lights. Most non American manufacturers don’t do them anymore (don’t honestly know what ford/gm do). Our last four Mercedes-Benz had no fogs and that ranged from a E300 to G550 to C63s. BMW doesn’t really do fogs either anymore. Not sure if it’s a aero thing or price cutting or maybe light technology is so advanced they don’t need them anymore? Now that I’m thinking who does have fog lights equipped on their vehicles now besides Tesla?

Not a big difference to my eye, if anything the new front looks sleeker than the old IMO. We'll have to see if this is the Highland. And the bump in the dashboard is intriguing, there have been rumors of a simple display behind the wheel like the X and S. That wouldn't hurt.

We've had fog lights on every car we've owned for at least 20 years, never (consciously) used them once - ever. And we have moved all over north, south, midwest...

View attachment 927913

There's a lot of clever cost cutting going on there too. The smaller headlights, simpler fender shape, simpler bumper shape, and omitted foglights and aero duct. It's hard to imagine that they'd give up some range to save money on the aero ducts so I suspect they found that the duct didn't do much after all.

View attachment 927912
what's "clever cost cutting" about deleting fog lights? seriously. that's pretty much deleting a function most other cars in that price range have...

A lot of people have their fog lights turned on all the time because they think it looks cool and on some vehicles it becomes just too much combined with the bright LED headlights on new vehicles when. For this reason I'm glad that automakers are removing them from vehicles.
unless you actually need them... for fog.... also: which automakers are removing fog lights in *that* price range? We are talking about a $40k+ vehicle here and not a $20k sub compact KIA

Doesn’t surprise me that they removed the fog lights. Most non American manufacturers don’t do them anymore (don’t honestly know what ford/gm do). Our last four Mercedes-Benz had no fogs and that ranged from a E300 to G550 to C63s. BMW doesn’t really do fogs either anymore. Not sure if it’s a aero thing or price cutting or maybe light technology is so advanced they don’t need them anymore? Now that I’m thinking who does have fog lights equipped on their vehicles now besides Tesla?
BMW uses adaptive matrix lights in the i4 ... if Tesla confirms that is now standard and consistently standard... I'm ok with no more fog lights

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
BMW uses adaptive matrix lights in the i4 ... if Tesla confirms that is now standard and consistently standard... I'm ok with no more fog lights
Understood, but the i4 starts at $52k , the model 3 now starts at $41. Not the same price point. Now if the updated model 3 has a price increase, then I will be with you 100%.

unless you actually need them... for fog.... also: which automakers are removing fog lights in *that* price range? We are talking about a $40k+ vehicle here and not a $20k sub compact KIA
Ironically, to get fog lights on a Kia you have to go down to their cheaper models. Their most expensive cars don't have fog lights. Their cheapest cars do.

$60k EV6 GT - no fog lights
$55k Stinger GT2 - no fog lights
$25k K5 - fog lights
$20k Forte - fog lights

Same goes for Mercedes, Audi, and Toyota. Any of their sedans that are over $40k have no fog lights. Any under $30k (Prius/Corolla) DO have for lights. The only BMW sedan I could find with fog lights was their $37k 228i.

(I admittedly didn't deep dive into each of these. My search was limited to these manufacturers build pages - it's possible, though doubtful I missed some fog light options)

Last edited:
Ironically, to get fog lights on a Kia you have to go down to their cheaper models. Their most expensive cars don't have fog lights. Their cheapest cars do.

$60k EV6 GT - no fog lights
$55k Stinger GT2 - no fog lights
$25k K5 - fog lights
$20k Forte - fog lights

Same goes for Mercedes, Audi, and Toyota. Any of their sedans that are over $40k have no fog lights. Any under $30k (Prius/Corolla) DO have for lights. The only BMW sedan I could find with fog lights was their $37k 228i.

(I admittedly didn't deep dive into each of these. My search was limited to these manufacturers build pages - it's possible, though doubtful I missed some fog light options)
because expensive cars use adaptive matrix headlights across the trim range ... same can't be said for Tesla Model 3/Y

Reactions: Jclboston
Need spy pics. :)
M3 New.jpg

As I wrote in the other thread about this I was leaning toward not real because of the sharp top edge along the whole front causing too much drag. But the fact that it's missing fog lights and side vents made me think.

Each Tesla design iteration has carefully inched a bit from form over function toward function over form. The S started with fake grille, huge race inspired air vents and long hood. Facelift and new the following models sequentially:
  • dropped the grill,
  • shortened the hood (not as facelifts, but each new model vs the previous S>X>3>Y)
  • reduced the size of side air vents
to now drop side air vents and fog lights alltogether seem like a logical next step, so I am now leaning a bit more toward "real"

It’s more of a “looks great” than actual usage.

Even for the most experienced driver, driving in the fog is no fun.
If you drive earlier in the morning, you might experience mist or fog. Havin fog lights then is very helpful,

fog roads .jpg

In case of fog, you can still drive at slower speed using low beam,
but when following a car, the rear parking lights are not visible because of the fog,
and you can only see a car in front of you from few feet aways.

But what I don't understand is why in US a rear fog light is not also installed .
In Europe, cars have an extra red fog light, and in general only one, so it would not be confused with brake lights.
In fact, the rear fog light is both vwry important and less expensive than front fog lights and should be installed by default.

M3EU Right Rear Fog Light .jpg

Best would be to have the rear fog light located below the rear bumper, because fog is less dense closer to the ground.

MY Rear Fog Light Below Bumper .jpg

Last edited:
But what I don't understand is why in US a rear fog light is not also installed .
In Europe, cars have an extra red fog light, and in general only one, so it would not be confused with brake lights.
In fact, the rear fog light is both vwry important and less expensive than front fog lights and should be installed by default.
My US-spec 2022 MX Plaid has both front and rear fog lights so it's at least a thing on the more expensive models.

In all the above is much improved. I HATED the catfish front bumper. Much cleaner lines now.

I'm really curious to see a shot of the wheel to see if they kept stalks like the old 3/Y or moved to stalkless like the S/X.

Even for the most experienced driver, driving in the fog is no fun.
If you drive earlier in the morning, you might experience mist or fog. Havin fog lights then is very helpful,

View attachment 928110

In case of fog, you can still drive at slower speed using low beam,
but when following a car, the rear parking lights are not visible because of the fog,
and you can only see a car in front of you from few feet aways.

View attachment 928092

Best would be to have the rear fog light located below the rear bumper, because fog is less dense closer to the ground.

View attachment 928123
Never needed to drive when visibility is so bad. This is not an LE ot EMS vehicle, not is it an off road vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jclboston