Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Funny
Reactions: derekmw
Warranty varies by model (source)
  • S: 8 years, 150K miles
  • 3 RWD: 8 years, 100K miles
  • 3 All others: 8 years, 120K miles
  • X: 8 years, 150K miles
  • Y: 8 years, 120K miles
Some people DO worry about the longevity past the warranty period. I typically drive my cars for over 200K miles, which on my SR+ is twice the warranty period (although the time is irrelevant to ME as I will hit 100K well before the 8 year mark).
It also varies by model year. For example, our 2017 Model X has 8 years, unlimited miles warranty on battery and drive unit.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
My spouse would NEVER easily transition and avoid the car entirely. Cheap is one thing, but making the operation of the car too exotic, is a real dealbreaker. It also because a hazard to some who are less resilient to change (and in their 7th decade).

Then Teslas are probably not a good choice for you/her.
Luckily, there are plenty of quality EV alternatives on the market today!

Reactions: Sans-gas
TRFM.
Or Google? Or go to a local library and ask?

Or, I don't know, scroll to the top of the thread and read?

Whichever is easier.
one of the "project highland" features is supposedly a new front. the pictures I posted have a new front....might help imagine how the project highland might look like. I guess this thought would have been passed on better if only we were linked via neuralink

This looks cool

Why bother retrofitting an old Model 3 with a cheap imitation bumper when you can get complete cheap imitation car?

1685214543899.png

Reactions: enemji
I doubt it although clearly predicting what Tesla is going to do in relationship to prices seems like a crapshoot. In any case it makes little sense that they're doing this entire Highland project to significantly streamline manufacturing, the point of which is to materially cut costs, so that they can raise prices. It's much more likely that they are trying to drive increased demand through these efficiencies, allowing a profit margin that is still decent on a reduced price car that is easier to make.

Needless to say, but important to consider, no one is in a position to follow them down this particular trajectory. Everybody else is losing money except for byd on their electric vehicle lines. And byd is not making anything like $9,000 a unit as far as we know.

Any other storyline it seems to me goes against Tesla memes and recent trends. That of course is the whole idea behind the gigacastings, the structural battery pack, a new motor without expensive rare earth metals, etc etc etc. Tesla is showing the entire industry that they not only know how to make vehicles with slightly more range and slightly better performance at almost any given price point, but they are driving manufacturing efficiencies and improvements at a scary rate. Or at least it's scary from the standpoint of the Legacy automakers having any chance at all to catch Tesla. Ford is hemorrhaging money on the Mach e, GM just discontinued their biggest seller and can't make more than two Hummers in the last quarter and everybody else is struggling to scale up.

Again in that context I think Tesla sees an opportunity to blow everybody out of the water by cutting the price through streamlined Manufacturing on their two big sellers. Don't see anything that's going to materially reverse that overall trend. Rather than the competition coming for Tesla I think bankruptcy is coming to the competition. Which may not be necessarily a great thing for the industry in the long term, as competition is certainly good for just about everybody, but that's what it looks like.
Tesla is doing a good job but it’s the Chinese car companies that are probably even more of a risk to legacy car makers. Mostly they’ve just been taking vast market share in China but models from some of them are coming to Europe soon. They are hitting extremely low price points for what you get.

Tesla is doing a good job but it’s the Chinese car companies that are probably even more of a risk to legacy car makers. Mostly they’ve just been taking vast market share in China but models from some of them are coming to Europe soon. They are hitting extremely low price points for what you get.
It's unclear who is a greater risk to the Legacy automakers Tesla or the Chinese but the combination looks increasingly lethal. Virtually no one within the Legacy group looks like they're going to survive. I'd predict within the next 4 years you're going to see the first major bankruptcies of legacy automakers, and it may happen even sooner than that because we're going to hit the 50% penetration of worldwide sales as EVS sooner than 2028.

Here's a screenshot of that famous formula for predicting bankruptcy (I vaguely recall it as being created by altman?) applied to the Legacy groups and Tesla- forgotten the name of it but I'm sure somebody remembers!

Attachments

• 20230208_131957.jpg
    20230208_131957.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
one of the "project highland" features is supposedly a new front. the pictures I posted have a new front....might help imagine how the project highland might look like. I guess this thought would have been passed on better if only we were linked via neuralink
Unfortunately that front end from unplugged performance is way busier and way more complicated to manufacture than anything Tesla would choose as part of project Highland.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krash
Then Teslas are probably not a good choice for you/her.
Luckily, there are plenty of quality EV alternatives on the market today!
And yet there is some evidence to the contrary in terms of the number of people in their seventies who are supposedly too old to learn new tricks actually loving the interface in the Model 3/Y It's definitely not everybody's cup of tea but personally I much prefer the absence of buttons and switches except for a few things. On the other hand I'm not a big fan if this is confirmed of project Highland doing away with the control stalks.

Reactions: jboy210