Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it's just not true that Apple's phones are always regarded as the best. The Samsung Galaxy s23 has been independently reviewed as the best phone you can buy right now. Apple has parlayed their premium reputation into a lot of cash, but it's a reputation not a fact.

Tesla knows that they have to keep moving the goal posts, so rather than trying to produce some kind of super luxury premium interior which is not really their thing I think they're going to continue to offer the best range and performance at a particular price point. Although competition has narrowed that gap, there is nothing with the room of a Model Y with its performance in its premium trim at $55,000 prior to incentives. Everybody in the industry would love to have Tesla's problem of its low quality poor interior Model Y. And in terms of charging Network and infrastructure, that game is over,
i agree with that statement but the range part is getting closer and some folks value performance (straight line 0-60 in Tesla world) *less* than nice interior, no rattles and a comfortable suspension... between the Y / Mach E and Lyriq... the Y has the harshest ride and most rattles... not even close. Tesla is cheaper though.

i agree with that statement but the range part is getting closer and some folks value performance (straight line 0-60 in Tesla world) *less* than nice interior, no rattles and a comfortable suspension... between the Y / Mach E and Lyriq... the Y has the harshest ride and most rattles... not even close. Tesla is cheaper though.
Have you ridden in a brand new Model Y? We just had a chance to drive our daughters new performance Model Y and its ride is pretty impressive. Both her car and our brand new model 3 have no rattles, no squeaks and are pretty tight and well assembled. Lyric is actually a different price point and it won't be obtainable for years in any quantity, so that's apples to oranges comparison. Its base model (and this is without the $10,000 dealer markup) is thousands more than a performance Model Y. Even in its top performance configuration, it's almost even or slightly slower than a dual motor Long Range Yodel Y and nowhere near the Performance model.. Hands down I'd prefer the Model Y in any case. I thought the Mach E was too flaccid and soft and its range in a decent performance configuration is a joke. So Different Strokes for different folks I suppose, but let's stick to vehicles that actually can be purchased, and that aren't made out of unobtainium. Nothing from GM qualifies on that point.

Last edited:
Have you ridden in a brand new Model Y? We just had a chance to drive our daughters new performance Model Y and its ride is pretty impressive. Lyric is actually a different price point and it won't be obtainable for years in any quantity, so that's apples to oranges comparison. Its base model (and this is without the $10,000 dealer markup) is thousands more than a performance Model Y. Even in its top performance configuration it's almost even or slightly slower than a dual motor Long Range Yodel Y and nowhere near the performance model.. Hands down I'd prefer the Model Y in any case. I thought the Mach E was too flaccid and soft and its range in a decent performance configuration is a joke. So Different Strokes for different folks but let's stick to vehicles that actually can be purchased, and compare vehicles that aren't made out of unobtainium. Nothing from GM qualifies on that point.
I have. We have a new M3P with the new “comfort” suspension, the 3 is still nicer overall when it comes to ride comfort than a Y. It’s still not a match for a lot of other cars though to be honest, just a nice improvement on their awful suspension before.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I have. We have a new M3P with the new “comfort” suspension, the 3 is still nicer overall when it comes to ride comfort than a Y. It’s still not a match for a lot of other cars though to be honest, just a nice improvement on their awful suspension before.
Since we swapped out our 2018 stock performance suspensions for the amazing coilover kits from Mountain Pass, we have no idea what you're talking about :) . Perhaps you should try one? You might really like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: phantasms
Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy , not to please those "luxury people". =)

I'd have to agree. Tesla made the luxury-class S and X because that was needed for price and scale reasons at the time. Their attention is now to reduce prices further, offer a truck to those who don't want a car at all, and to hopefully make a compact cheap car for the masses.

As a Model 3 owner, these are the points I would make in response to some of the other comments in this thread. The firm ride of the Model 3 is exactly what I like in the car - I have never liked soft suspensions. My Tesla does not rattle…at all. I really like the no-nonsense, functional interior and controls of the Model 3, including the centre screen. My Tesla so far has had stellar reliability: one minor issue fixed very promptly on warranty and a couple of non-warranty issues (flat tire and stone hitting windshield). My experience with Tesla Service (admittedly minor, because it barely has needed service) has been top-notch - laughably better than the legacy dealership service experiences I have had in 30+ years of car ownership. If I wanted to buy another Tesla right now, I could get it without being on a years-long waiting list (which applies to many other EVs, at least in Canada), and without dealership games and markups. Also, there is the Tesla charging network which has been rock solid reliable for me and super easy to use. And perhaps just as important as anything else, I have confidence in the underlying quality of Tesla’s EV technology, which I do not yet have with the technology of other makers. So I will be sticking with Tesla.

Since we swapped out our 2018 stock performance suspensions for the amazing coilover kits from Mountain Pass, we have no idea what you're talking about :) . Perhaps you should try one? You might really like it!
Cannot as my wife’s car is a lease so it’s not really ours but it’s not that bad that I’d spend money on it. Just that many cars, some cheaper even do have nicer suspension. Tesla do a lot of things really well, suspension is one of their few weak areas in my opinion.

I'd have to agree. Tesla made the luxury-class S and X because that was needed for price and scale reasons at the time. Their attention is now to reduce prices further, offer a truck to those who don't want a car at all, and to hopefully make a compact cheap car for the masses.
Don’t think people are suggesting the Model 3 be a luxury car. Just a better mid priced car. So not expecting air suspension though I’d pay if I was getting another one. Just to improve the car in sensible ways.

Look at the competition they have, especially in China. Also look at cars like the Volvo EX30 as an example of what's coming from Europe also. They can make the car cheaper or if they want to stay around the same price, they need a few more bells and whistles soon.

As a Model 3 owner, these are the points I would make in response to some of the other comments in this thread. The firm ride of the Model 3 is exactly what I like in the car - I have never liked soft suspensions. My Tesla does not rattle…at all. I really like the no-nonsense, functional interior and controls of the Model 3, including the centre screen. My Tesla so far has had stellar reliability: one minor issue fixed very promptly on warranty and a couple of non-warranty issues (flat tire and stone hitting windshield). My experience with Tesla Service (admittedly minor, because it barely has needed service) has been top-notch - laughably better than the legacy dealership service experiences I have had in 30+ years of car ownership. If I wanted to buy another Tesla right now, I could get it without being on a years-long waiting list (which applies to many other EVs, at least in Canada), and without dealership games and markups. Also, there is the Tesla charging network which has been rock solid reliable for me and super easy to use. And perhaps just as important as anything else, I have confidence in the underlying quality of Tesla’s EV technology, which I do not yet have with the technology of other makers. So I will be sticking with Tesla.
It's so refreshing to have the big picture so cogently summarized by an owner. Lost in all the Sturm and Drang and trolling noise. Most of us love our cars, have had very good treatment by Tesla, and although the cars are far from perfect in some ways they are still amazing.

• Love
Reactions: Dayreg and chinney
yup. that's me. I would happily pay for a "top trim" level which then rivals BMW / Cadillac. The Lyriq runs circles around the Y interior and the i4 is a lot nicer inside than the 3. Tesla should do a "premium" trim and charge $6k-$10k more
Indeed. I've been throwing it out on Twitter since July 2022 (talking into the void some might say) about wanting a Model Y+. Something like the seats and driver dash of an X, rear screen and Steam support; all in the shell of a Y.

i guess you missed Fords and GMs announcement... their EVs will roll off the assembly line with a tesla connector starting next year...
That’s why I said IMO, and the current status. The $37k model 3 minus the dev incentives makes it really affordable for many. I’m going off track on the topic here. Regarding the revamp, Atleast Tesla is trying to compete with other manufacturer. I’m glad Tesla spearheading the EV push, that’s not an easy task to do and ngl I just got my first 2 Tesla’s this month because of incentive. After 3 years I’m going to change whichever works the best.

Indeed. I've been throwing it out on Twitter since July 2022 (talking into the void some might say) about wanting a Model Y+. Something like the seats and driver dash of an X, rear screen and Steam support; all in the shell of a Y.
I suspect in the UK there's some custom shops that might be able to deliver such a product for a lot less than the price difference between a Y and an X. Tesla is not going to make something like that at least not anytime soon because that does not create a vehicle with a larger addressable Market. Years ago I posted about how much I wish Tesla would make an RS version of the Model 3 with all the track stuff that the aftermarket is putting on and then some. Just ain't going to happen.

Reactions: randompixel
I suspect in the UK there's some custom shops that might be able to deliver such a product for a lot less than the price difference between a Y and an X. Tesla is not going to make something like that at least not anytime soon because that does not create a vehicle with a larger addressable Market. Years ago I posted about how much I wish Tesla would make an RS version of the Model 3 with all the track stuff that the aftermarket is putting on and then some. Just ain't going to happen.
Well you never know as they've just done the track pack for Model S. The Model 3 while not as fast in a straight line is quite a bit lighter so more suited to track fun. Though I do expect you are right and it won't happen.

I see a lot of cars now at cheaper end going to 100kWh or slightly more on their battery. Clearly battery prices have dropped plus increased in density since Tesla picked the pack size for M3. Time they offer a larger capacity and blow the competition away with the range they'll get with their efficiency.

Just my opinion here. As long as the charging infrastructure of other car manufacturer doesn’t comes close to Tesla, Tesla will still be the choice. It’s like Apple and android phone. Android phones are great but Apple is still on top of the food chain. What’s the difference can be seen there, they have their own OS and other manufacturer relies on android. Other manufacturer for sure build better cars but in real world, the convenience of the having multiple supercharger availability is hard to beat.
Android has 71% of the market share. Not sure where this "Apple is on top of the food chain" narrative is coming from.

Tesla is allowing both GM & Ford to use their charging network. Advantage gone.

Apple makes up ~75-80% of the north American market for smartphones (slides a bit higher for android in Canada than the USA )
Worldwide *smartphone* use is still largely apple in more affluent countries, and android in other countries. Business users HEAVILY skew towards apple in NA.

Android is also bigger outside of the pure smartphone category and many in the business look a the metrics with a grain of salt as it is hard to pick out which is a smartphone and which is a different android device. All qualified evidence points to android being between 60-70% of the general worldwide market, with iOS being ~70% in "first world" countries. Android dominates where price becomes the major driver. It also means the phones are... substandard.

Yes I know, this is overly pedantic, but it is what it is.

As for the comparison, Tesla is IMO a more successful BlackBerry. Great product, does what it says on the tin mostly, and is well ahead of its competition. The biggest issue BlackBerry had was they were convinced they were better than everyone else and were slow at new products *cough*cybertruck*cough and each of their new products were released about two years late. Look at BB 10, or even the playbook and the lack of features/timing to transition to 10.

Tesla is better situated and I think doing a better job than BlackBerry did. They had the BlackBerry messenger, which locked everyone into their framework. When they needed to pivot and bring in computers or other ways to tie into BBM, they failed at it. People hit the wall on apps and waiting on OS, then started jumping ship. Tesla has the charging system, but realized they CAN'T force people to choose, open it up to others to maintain the branding and income. So you continue relevance.

Releasing updated versions, like the highland, is key to keeping the pressure and market ownership high. Apple does a FANTASTIC job of release schedule and hitting the customer needs. Tesla is.. ok. Hopefully they will get better as they continue to get their build process more and more locked down.

In the U.S., Apple had a 52% market share in Q1 2023. Samsung is second at 27%. Since at least Q4 2021, Apple has been well below 70% market share in the U.S. every quarter.
Another source showing Apple at 53% and Samsung at 26% in the U.S. for Q1 2023.

On a global basis, Samsung had the largest market share in Q1 2023 with 22%, closely followed by apple with 21%. This would seem to indicate that Android has approximately a 79% share of the global smartphone market.

Last edited:
In the U.S., Apple had a 52% market share in Q1 2023. Samsung is second at 27%. Since at least Q4 2021, Apple has been well below 70% market share in the U.S. every quarter.
Another source showing Apple at 53% and Samsung at 26% in the U.S. for Q1 2023.

On a global basis, Samsung had the largest market share in Q1 2023 with 22%, closely followed by apple with 21%. This would seem to indicate that Android has approximately a 79% share of the global smartphone market.
In terms of market share for people that buy a Tesla, I suspect it's pretty skewed towards iPhone. You could see this for instance in that BMW supported CarPlay and then it was years later they added Android Auto. I know a few people that work at BMW and asked around this and they said most of the people that purchased their high end models (Lower end models didn't have CarPlay back then either) had iPhones so wasn't worth the development effort.

Obviously there are high end Androids and they do sell but most Android market share advantages over Apple is made up from budget phones, a segment Apple doesn't play in. Those budget phone owners won't be buying a Tesla.