Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new Model S owner, I’m in disbelief that Tesla has gone this way with the 3. It’s going to get slaughtered in the press.
Just wait until they upgrade the S.

Why are so many people already complaining about the lack of stalks? Ferrari did away with them a long time ago. Turn signals on the wheel is nothing new. Lots of weird nitpicking here.

I'm personally excited about how Tesla is choosing to move forward. It shows that in due time, the general features lacked by all cars across the range will get their proper upgrades. If they upgrade the 3 as such, future upgrades to the Y/S/X will assumingely be much more robust, and for that I appreciate that Tesla is willing to show this commitment to their product. All things in due time...

Indeed. I am used to it. Doesn’t make it any better or faster than stalks. Quite the opposite.
Curious to see what the Highland Model 3 sales will be like 4-6 months after release (after the Tesla fanboys have all 'upgraded'). My guess is a pretty good drop in demand compared to pre-refresh, but the market will have the final word obviously. If there is a big drop though, I don't think Tesla/Elon will ever be able to understand it was their fault, and will just claim it is the further evidence that people only want CUVs and SUVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: emiliorescigno

Why are so many people already complaining about the lack of stalks? Ferrari did away with them a long time ago. Turn signals on the wheel is nothing new. Lots of weird nitpicking here.

I'm personally excited about how Tesla is choosing to move forward. It shows that in due time, the general features lacked by all cars across the range will get their proper upgrades. If they upgrade the 3 as such, future upgrades to the Y/S/X will assumingely be much more robust, and for that I appreciate that Tesla is willing to show this commitment to their product. All things in due time...
I hope they allow S owners who have a 2022+ to retrofit upgrades , this is crazy

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd

Most people don't own Farrari's (including many people who can afford them). They (the company) don't have the most positive reputation among many car people actually. Probably not a good company to use for inspiration frankly, especially for a company striving to be mass-market.

• Helpful
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
I think I would prefer buttons to stalks, although I haven't tried them. The stalks on a Model 3/Y feel kind of flimsy and cheap to me. Buttons should be more reliable as well.
From the video these appear to be the same style capacitive touch 'buttons' as the refreshed S/X, not tactile buttons. Not premium and not reliable (for many). Check out MKBHD's long term review of his refreshed S to see how 'reliable' the turn signal buttons are. But hey, at least it is 1) not a yoke, and 2) has the horn at the center like should be.

Nice refresh, the new look is definitely a bit more modern and less bulbous. But nothing that makes me instantly regret picking up a new Model 3 six days ago at a big discount. 👍🏻

michael-scott-icegif-7.gif

Just kidding. That's a rational response and fomo is a silly thing. Great updates imo! Ventilated seats and better range.

What did we decide to complain about? Stalks? Good riddance I say. No need to fondle with those sticks, the buttons seem convenient. Could be wrong haha.

Reactions: Yelobird
Just kidding. That's a rational response and fomo is a silly thing. Great updates imo!
Vented seats are definitely the biggest win from my perspective (plus the exterior looks which I do think are substantially improved.

I knew the update was coming and jumped anyway. It was the right decision for me given the imminent expiration of some substantial state and local benefits. 👍🏻

They’ve not only destroyed the resale value on my 2022 model s, they’ve added insult to injury and given the 3 all of the comforts the s has.

I’ll never buy another Tesla again.
Tesla just dropped the prices of the S starting at $74,990 and X at $79,990 for both Dual Long Range. No more standard range. And all colors now are free.

Curious to see what the Highland Model 3 sales will be like 4-6 months after release (after the Tesla fanboys have all 'upgraded'). My guess is a pretty good drop in demand compared to pre-refresh, but the market will have the final word obviously. If there is a big drop though, I don't think Tesla/Elon will ever be able to understand it was their fault, and will just claim it is the further evidence that people only want CUVs and SUVs.
This update and price point will explode sales on this model. In fact I would almost bet with the feature updates, range, and other nits people complain about this update will likely sell more then or near Model Y numbers. All the stalk complaints are incredibly odd to me especially as Most complaining have never even tried it. I went from a MYP to MSP and couldn‘t believe how much nicer it was to loose those 1970’s sticks. You put the car in drive maybe twice per day. Add to that the car does that For you now automatically. Why would this even be a concern unless your in the “change must be bad” cause I read it camp. Signals are exactly where you hand is, not a tough learning curve in my view. With incentives available they will not be able make these fast enough.

I don’t follow you. You can see it’s not there on Matt’s car.
Also not there on the red car for the Euro promo picture (although it appears to be there on the same two car picture from the China website).

So either it didn't make it to production, it will only be there in limited markets, or it may be saved for later.

Definitely something there in the promo video and the configurator itself for any market I've checked. No mention of any bumper camera though...

High2.png

High1.png

Something else I noticed is if you spec an LR with black interior the door cards still look like alcantara and look OK, but if you spec a RWD it changes to some nasty looking fabric.

High3.png

Renders in the configurator also don't show the seat perforations, except for the shot advertising the glass roof in the interior spec sub-pictures.

Reactions: Falcon73
Definitely something there in the promo video and the configurator itself for any market I've checked. No mention of any bumper camera though...

View attachment 970020

View attachment 970019

Something else I noticed is if you spec an LR with black interior the door cards still look like alcantara and look OK, but if you spec a RWD it changes to some nasty looking fabric.

View attachment 970021

Renders in the configurator also don't show the seat perforations, except for the shot advertising the glass roof in the interior spec sub-pictures.
Good spot. Makes me wonder how much of these renders will make it into the final products, given the perforations should be there.