Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car has active safety feature to push you back into the lane if it detects an impending collision. It has already saved me once avoiding collision with a motorcycle that was comin in at high speed. The car detected it and pushed me back into lane before I realized what happened. Also with turn signal you have side repeater cam available, that clearly show anything on the blind spot area.
The problem with the side repeater camera images is that they’re displayed where you’re not likely to be looking when changing lanes.

Auxiliary screens near the camera would solve the location issue, but would add cost. A warning light in that area is lower-tech but it’s just like every other manufacturer’s solution.

Generally, only Tesla does this multiple times throughout the year, whereas traditional manufacturers set the sticker high and have “sales” sever times a year.

“Save up to $10000! It’s TRUUUCK MOOONTH!”

It just has a different feel when Tesla does it.
The reason it feels different is because it is different. With the Tesla sales model the price is the same for everyone in a region. I also know the full price before I walk into the store. With the traditional OEM the corporate office can cut prices and then each dealercrap adds their own markups and fees on top of that.

As far as the revamped model 3, I like everything about it except the stalkless design and that is garbage.

The problem with the side repeater camera images is that they’re displayed where you’re not likely to be looking when changing lanes.

Auxiliary screens near the camera would solve the location issue, but would add cost. A warning light in that area is lower-tech but it’s just like every other manufacturer’s solution.
Agree. The easy solution for tesla is to add a wide angle mirror within the side mirrors like many other vehicles, to cover the blind spot.

On the screen location of the feed, yes it’s odd at first but I got used to it. But not ideal for everyone I understand.

Bingo! The side repeaters mirrored in the central display is one of the most idiotic features on the Model 3 IMHO.

“Hey, I need to switch into the left lane; let me look down and to the right first instead of looking over my shoulder.” I’m sorry, that is freaking stupid!

Agree. The easy solution for tesla is to add a wide angle mirror within the side mirrors like many other vehicles, to cover the blind spot.

On the screen location of the feed, yes it’s odd at first but I got used to it. But not ideal for everyone I understand.
I believe the Europe market mirrors are wider than NA, someone did a retrofit somewhere on this forum.

Probably not this thread, but similar.

Those types of mirrors however are not legal in the US, so OEMs at most will provide a stick on wide angle. There are a ton of aftermarket options that people have applied if a search is done.

I believe the Europe market mirrors are wider than NA, someone did a retrofit somewhere on this forum.

Probably not this thread, but similar.

Those types of mirrors however are not legal in the US, so OEMs at most will provide a stick on wide angle. There are a ton of aftermarket options that people have applied if a search is done.
Screenshot_20230902_052709_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I think Elon deleted the part before it even went on sale.
Probably he deleted it for two reasons:
1) Not needed for FSD.
2) Once your car is a robotaxi, you will never park it and will just send it out on jobs as soon as you get to your destination.

I am only half joking about both of these, but honestly I could hear Elon saying the second (idiotic) statement so very easily.

• Funny
Reactions: pdx_m3s
The increased trunk space likely comes from a second side cubby on the right side made possible by the change from one big subwoofer to two smaller subs somewhere else. But curiously, this RWD model has two of its 9 total speakers in the parcel shelf:

View attachment 970860

View attachment 970861

Recall the Gen1 parcel shelf for comparison:

View attachment 970862
Do we know which 9 speakers the RWD keeps? Definitely 3 dash mids + front and rear doors, which is 7.

I hope they allow S owners who have a 2022+ to retrofit upgrades , this is crazy
Never happen. Never did, and likely never will.

Just not worth it for them (too few for it to be worth the effort and $$$).

This always happens with every car, but with Tesla the challenge is you're never sure when a new feature will drop, so someone is always juuust on the wrong side of it and feels wronged (understandably, if predictably).

Reactions: cdub and zoomer0056
Generally, only Tesla does this multiple times throughout the year, whereas traditional manufacturers set the sticker high and have “sales” sever times a year.

“Save up to $10000! It’s TRUUUCK MOOONTH!”

It just has a different feel when Tesla does it.

For other car companies, pricing adjustments are done at the dealer level rather than the MSRP level. Tesla does not use dealers, so that price adjustment buffer is not present.

I just read an article about the Model 3 that says no front and rear castings in the Highland 2024. Could this be true?

From the article:
One thing the updated Model 3 does not introduce is the long-awaited "mega casting" chassis, nor does it mount new batteries (such as CATL M3P with LFP and manganese chemistry, BYD Blade structural, or Tesla-Panasonic 4680 structural); but it does consume less and has a longer range thanks to updated software.

Reactions: cdub
Reactions: KJD and Whatstreet
The increased trunk space likely comes from a second side cubby on the right side made possible by the change from one big subwoofer to two smaller subs somewhere else. But curiously, this RWD model has two of its 9 total speakers in the parcel shelf:

View attachment 970860

View attachment 970861

Recall the Gen1 parcel shelf for comparison:

View attachment 970862
You can see the subs in the first picture. The two speakers hanging from the shelf. I thought they would be 8 inchers but it looks like 6.5 inch woofers.

Pretty clear from the unibody renderings Tesla shows on their website. Same stamped-steel BIW.
1. The Tesla rendering could be incorrect.

2. The China made Y uses rear casting since I believe its battery is not structural. One would think, since Highland is stated to be a cost reduction project that it would at least get rear casting just like the Model Y and share more parts.

3. Read a rumor thats why the US Model 3 will debut next year. It will use a structural battery pack, and thus have front and rear castings. Different from the China made Model 3.

4. If the Performance or Plaid version is using 4680s that would explain the lack of a performance trim at Highland debut.

Reactions: butterscotch
Model Y is a gen 1.5 chassis which was originally designed with future casting transition in mind. Model 3 was Tesla's first mass production car, designed as they were on the brink of bankruptcy. There have not been any credible rumors of castings or structural packs planned for this first generation chassis. Besides, every other casting update has been preceded by drone photos of the Giga presses being delivered, which has not happened on the 3 production line. Castings are also heavier and more impossible to repair, so they're more exciting for your stock portfolio than they are for your butt.

The speakers in the parcel shelf pic above are not subs, per Tesla's description for the RWD trim. It's notable because no other Model 3 has included parcel shelf speakers so this seems like an upgrade for the base stereo. Furthermore, the AWD models will include 2 subwoofers and an extra cubic foot of trunk space, suggesting that they might just box-in the parcel shelf to create a sub.