Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see any evidence of blind spot monitoring. This would be an especially unfortunate omission on a car whose turn signals can't always be found by feel.

1693612785744.png

No, no no. 100% of YOU would use it (and others would probably use it): I would hate it. And many others would as well.

And it really nice for those who do - especially folks with kids.

Stop trying to speak for everyone!
If it is there and presenting information, drivers would use it. Just like everyone with a 3/Y uses the center screen. Because it is there and performs functions.

When driving my former S, I certainly looked at the instrument cluster more often than the center screen.

More pissed off than the people who bought prior to Dec22? Those guys missed out on everything and paid the high inflation price.
Tesla has been playing pricing games for as long as I can remember. And while I paid a good bit more than the current M3P price, I also didn’t pay the max price either.

No other manufacturer’s prices fluctuate as much as Tesla. Buying one is a bit of a gamble.
One thing I just noticed: FSD is now $12K and EAP is $6K. Wasn't it most recently priced at $15K and $7.5K respectively?
Unless it had been raised rather recently, I think EAP has been $6K for some time.

If it is there and presenting information, drivers would use it. Just like everyone with a 3/Y uses the center screen. Because it is there and performs functions.

When driving my former S, I certainly looked at the instrument cluster more often than the center screen.
People would use it, but it's not really adding any additional functionality that the center screen couldn't have handled. The rear screen on the other hand actually adds something that can't be achieved without adding an aftermarket screen.

Tesla has been playing pricing games for as long as I can remember. And while I paid a good bit more than the current M3P price, I also didn’t pay the max price either.

No other manufacturer’s prices fluctuate as much as Tesla. Buying one is a bit of a gamble.
Sure been crazy with Tesla pricing the last 2-3 years. I think that has more to do with what happen between mid 2021 to mid Jan2023. It was the highest peak for car prices. I think anyone who bought any brand new car between that period will be taking a huge loss. It's not just Tesla playing the price games, dealers were marking up cars $5k-$15k over msrp. Some rare ones went as high as $50k during those times. Call it chip shortages or whatever, but those times were not normal.

I feel like Tesla is finally going back to where they were pre-covid market price wise.

Reactions: SO16 and GregD60
A HUD is best, info in front of steering wheel is second best, turning your head to the side to look at center screen is third best.
I would argue a HUD would be truly adding additional functionality because it allows you to fully keep your eyes on the road without needing to do a focus change.

In my experience, even with a traditional dash, to glance down to see the speed still requires a focus shift and a decent eye or head shift, even though it is slightly better than the center screen.

Looking at the specs on the Tesla site, the acceleration of the Highland update is a bit slower now for some reason, 6.1 vs 5.8 seconds for the RWD and 4.4 vs 4.2 for the LR. Weight is roughly the same so I wonder what has changed there...
Acceleration remained the same. I think you're mixing up 0-100 km/h acceleration (EU etc.) with 0-60 mph (US). 4.4s for 0-100 km/h ≅ 4.2s for 0-60 mph (source).

Reactions: gtg465x
People would use it, but it's not really adding any additional functionality that the center screen couldn't have handled. The rear screen on the other hand actually adds something that can't be achieved without adding an aftermarket screen.
Judging by the aftermarket, demand exists for both additional screens.

A HUD is best, info in front of steering wheel is second best, turning your head to the side to look at center screen is third best.
A HUD would allow Tesla to keep the Spartan dash design and provide driver information without having to use a third of the center screen for it.

But I think a HUD would come to the S/X first.

I think lack of blind spot monitoring i.e. a little light on side mirrors, is definitely a miss by Tesla. We just got a new(used) car for my youngest and I was careful to steer her towards a model that has blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, AEB, lane keep assist, etc. She's had it for a few months and she told me those features have come in handy for her quite a few times already. My oldest daughter changed lanes and hit someone in her blindspot last year. Her car does not have those features.

In most cars, if side mirrors are set properly i.e. *not* to see down the side of the car and behind you but rather further out, there is no blind spot. In other words, as a car in your rear view mirror approaches, it should appear in side view mirrors while still visible in rear view. By the same token, once it is out of sight of the rearview mirror and visible in side mirrors, the front bumper of the car should become visible to the side before the car disappears from side view mirrors. My 2023 M3 side mirrors are too small for this and despite how far *out* I have the side mirrors adjusted, I have to(as I have always done and always will do), crank around and check blind spot before changing lanes. I'm going to see if I can adjust them out a bit further but I think they are adjusted out as far as they will go. In fact, just a day or two ago, I was about to change lanes.....no car in rear view, no car in side mirror, glanced to double check just before changing lanes and sure enough, a car was there slowly coming up along side.

I think lack of blind spot monitoring i.e. a little light on side mirrors, is definitely a miss by Tesla. We just got a new(used) car for my youngest and I was careful to steer her towards a model that has blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, AEB, lane keep assist, etc. She's had it for a few months and she told me those features have come in handy for her quite a few times already. My oldest daughter changed lanes and hit someone in her blindspot last year. Her car does not have those features.

In most cars, if side mirrors are set properly i.e. *not* to see down the side of the car and behind you but rather further out, there is no blind spot. In other words, as a car in your rear view mirror approaches, it should appear in side view mirrors while still visible in rear view. By the same token, once it is out of sight of the rearview mirror and visible in side mirrors, the front bumper of the car should become visible to the side before the car disappears from side view mirrors. My 2023 M3 side mirrors are too small for this and despite how far *out* I have the side mirrors adjusted, I have to(as I have always done and always will do), crank around and check blind spot before changing lanes. I'm going to see if I can adjust them out a bit further but I think they are adjusted out as far as they will go. In fact, just a day or two ago, I was about to change lanes.....no car in rear view, no car in side mirror, glanced to double check just before changing lanes and sure enough, a car was there slowly coming up along side.
The car has active safety feature to push you back into the lane if it detects an impending collision. It has already saved me once avoiding collision with a motorcycle that was comin in at high speed. The car detected it and pushed me back into lane before I realized what happened. Also with turn signal you have side repeater cam available, that clearly show anything on the blind spot area.

Reactions: MarkoP and Bouba