Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One would think, since Highland is stated to be a cost reduction project that it would at least get rear casting just like the Model Y and share more parts.
The 3/Y are different sized vehicles (Y is ~10% bigger in every dimension) so they would not share the same casting in any case.
3. Read a rumor thats why the US Model 3 will debut next year. It will use a structural battery pack, and thus have front and rear castings. Different from the China made Model 3.
This is a pretty goofy rumor given Tesla’s obvious supply constraint of 4680 cells and the impending Cybertruck launch.

Most people don't own Farrari's (including many people who can afford them). They (the company) don't have the most positive reputation among many car people actually. Probably not a good company to use for inspiration frankly, especially for a company striving to be mass-market.
The whole idea is to keep your hands on the wheel. Trust me, you'll get used to it just like everything else in life that is new before it becomes normal.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD
The whole idea is to keep your hands on the wheel. Trust me, you'll get used to it just like everything else in life that is new before it becomes normal.
I am sure I could get mostly used to it, but why would I want to? There is no reward for getting used to it, because it will always be not quite as good. So yeah, never gonna happen because I will never own a car with this control configuration because I have a very strong preference against it. Only if I could swap in a stalk retrofit day one.

1. The Tesla rendering could be incorrect.

2. The China made Y uses rear casting since I believe its battery is not structural. One would think, since Highland is stated to be a cost reduction project that it would at least get rear casting just like the Model Y and share more parts.

3. Read a rumor thats why the US Model 3 will debut next year. It will use a structural battery pack, and thus have front and rear castings. Different from the China made Model 3.

4. If the Performance or Plaid version is using 4680s that would explain the lack of a performance trim at Highland debut.

1. Not likely.
2. The line is already setup for M3 stamped BIW and runs at very high volume. Wasn't worth it for Tesla to re-engineer a perfectly good car for castings. This is a light mid-cycle refresh afterall.
3. Rumors in the Tesla community are ubiquitous and often never amount to anything. Too many over-excited fans.
4. 4680 would be the worst option from a performance standpoint. 18650 would be the best, but they'll prob continue to use Panasonic 2170s for Performance cars. LG cells for LR AWD.

• Informative
Reactions: FreqFlyer
I still hate the fact that people here call a model 3 a 'M3" (cause it isnt), and you will not find me saying that. Its like calling another car a 911 or something.

The foul here is everyone calling these cars "M3" or "MY" like there is a shortage of keyboard letters or something, lol. I realize that ship sailed here a long time ago, but, a model 3 can be a great car without people trying to shove another cars brand name onto it.
Some people like me will be confused with Toyota Highlander if you call it Highland.

• Funny
Reactions: S&B's M3 and DrGriz
Higland launch early next year in the US is a good thing price wise for us since the $30k before rebate Chevy Equinox EV will also probably come same time and put price pressures on Highland. $35k before rebate for the M3 RWD highland is my prediction in 2024
Wishful thinking. Maybe I am wrong, but Chevy is not going to put pricing pressure on Tesla anytime soon.

You've come to this conclusion based on your experience trying it?
Subjectively “trying” it has no impact on the objective measures by which something is a regression.

Some people might like the buttons. Some people might have no particular problem getting used to them. None of that changes the objective reality that they are a worse method of input for a turn signal in a vehicle with >180 degrees of steering movement.

Reactions: smogne41 and KJD
I'm not too worried about a blind spot indicator. The current car will alarm if you put on your indicator and something is in your blind spot.

I thought there isn't a blind spot. Once you turn the signal you get a live camera view of your side, and the system will alert you if you try to move over if a car is there already. Even if you never turn on your signal you see all nearby cars live on the touch screen display and if a car was in your blind spot turning lane you'd see it on the screen. Thought that's the reason why they never went with a traditional blind spot indicator.