Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 4000 miles on my Model X in a month. Took a long trip and found the ride quality to be poor. I can feel every little bump and crack of the road surface and also cabin is not quite. It was really bad in Illinois, particularly in suburbs of Chicago, as their road are really bad, with lots of bumps on joints. I felt like driving in a Ford Explorer. Is it normal in Model X? Is there a setting, I am missing that?
PS: My Lexus RX450h rides much quite and smoother than this Model X ?!?!?
I disagree! I have a December '16 delivered P100D (air suspension) and 20" wheels/tires and its ride comfort is one notch below my '14 Bentley.

Does your have air? What seats? Tires, etc... I have put 2,300 mikes since December 20th and currently on 1500 mi trip over next 30hours and I'm very pleased.

I disagree! I have a December '16 delivered P100D (air suspension) and 20" wheels/tires and its ride comfort is one notch below my '14 Bentley.

Does your have air? What seats? Tires, etc... I have put 2,300 mikes since December 20th and currently on 1500 mi trip over next 30hours and I'm very pleased.

Honestly I really think it depends on road conditions. You live in Texas, where roads are for most part pristine. I live in Michigan where no one wants to pay taxes to fix the roads. Bring your Tesla up here, you may change your mind.
Mo!

Actually today driving around Michigan wasn't too bad, maybe because roads aren't as snowy. I actually enjoyed it, put my steering wheel in Sport mode, felt comfortable, speedy and easily maneuverable. Only problem left is some noise coming from the driver and passenger side view mirrors, like a whooshing noise when cars drive by.. Im sure my Tesla SC can fix it.

I did a Model X testdrive this weekend (air suspention, 19" winter tires), and I was disappointed by the ride quality.
Model S is quieter, handles better and much more drivers car while still being comfortable.

I thought the X would be quite close to the S in terms of driving dynamics. I was wrong.

Reactions: Porfiry
I did a Model X testdrive this weekend (air suspention, 19" winter tires), and I was disappointed by the ride quality.
Model S is quieter, handles better and much more drivers car while still being comfortable.

I thought the X would be quite close to the S in terms of driving dynamics. I was wrong.
I had a 2015 MS loaner when my MX was getting service. I thought road noise was worse in the MS, but that wind noise at highway speeds was worse in the MX. Handling was similar, sporty and responsive (a little better in the MS, but the MX is better than any competitor in its class). Winter tires will be noisier than ContiSilent all seasons.

• Love
Reactions: Ski_
I find the Model X ride quality rather unsatisfactory. Even on smooth roads I feel a constant subtle "thunkety thunk" that gets much worse on smooth pavement. Compared to the Lexus LS460 and RX450h I drove years ago (which felt like I was floating on a cloud of comfort), the Model X's ride is much firmer and less refined.

I find the Model X ride quality rather unsatisfactory. Even on smooth roads I feel a constant subtle "thunkety thunk" that gets much worse on smooth pavement. Compared to the Lexus LS460 and RX450h I drove years ago (which felt like I was floating on a cloud of comfort), the Model X's ride is much firmer and less refined.
Sounds like a tire problem? Smooth road thunks, sounds fixable.

Nope, not a tire problem. These vehicles are pretty stiffly sprung. I am liking the ride/handling compromise of the 20" tires I'm rolling on now. Oh how I do love the look of the 22's though. Fortunately I'm young enough and my back isn't completely blown out so I can still enjoy them! I might have to keep them on though as I will want to maximize range come summer for some road trips.