Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP Panoramic Roof... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More information here... https://electrek.co/2018/11/10/tesla-model-s-model-x-option-price-changes/
  • Rear-facing Child seats are gone: Tesla will instead recommend buyers with large families to get a Model X
  • 21″ Black Arachnid Wheels are not in the config anymore. They will be an aftermarket product only.
  • Panoramic Sunroof is gone. Like Model 3, only the glass roof is now available.
  • 72 amp onboard charger: now only available in single phase markets. Other markets will only have the 48 amp charger.
  • Carbon fiber spoiler has been made standard on all the Model S P100D

I got Pano, but I recently took a loaner with full glass roof, and if I had a choice, I’d take an all glass roof.

I’rarely open my sunroof anyways and all glass roof looks better and is probably less likely to leak air or water, break or need maintenance than a moving roof.

Would be nice to give the customer the choice though

Looks like carbon fiber trim is gone too.

Maybe as parts get used up in the assembly line, they are being removed as options?

Doesn’t bode well for the availability or replacement parts but it has been well established Tesla doesn’t care about replacement parts availability. Sales über alles.

Reactions: croman
I got Pano, but I recently took a loaner with full glass roof, and if I had a choice, I’d take an all glass roof.

I’rarely open my sunroof anyways and all glass roof looks better and is probably less likely to leak air or water, break or need maintenance than a moving roof.

Would be nice to give the customer the choice though
At that price point, they should be giving the customer the choice.

Reactions: vdiv
Tesla has temporarily removed options before - so it's possible the option will come back.

It was one of the differentiators between the S and the 3/X - a feature we included in our 2012 S P85 and 2017 S 100D.

If enough people ask for it - and competitors with the new long range EVs also offer it - it's possible it will come back. I'd probably like to have the option when we replace our 2017 S 100D...

I got the gen. 1 panorama roof in order to get the satellite radio (let's not talk about that). As a benefit it offers more headroom and brings light into the cabin. As a drawback it leaked, it makes all kinds of noises, wind, clanking, knocking, it lets road noise in, and it lets cold air in that is very unpleasant to my sinuses. Countless trips to service have been mostly futile after replacing the frame and glass, and pouring in sealants and making adjustments. I do not open the roof, even to vent as it tends to make the issues worse.

All that said (yes, I feel better now, thanks) the solution should have been solving the issues and keeping the pano roof as an option. A new Model S coming out eventually does not preclude the desire for a working pano roof.

Who cares about pano roof. But carbon trim and 11kW charger instead of 16.5kW? There are EVs coming with 22kW onboard chargers. Does Tesla really need give me even more reasons to go with the oncoming competition?
To answer your first rhetorical question, I care. When I told my wife just now, she said "I guess we'll have to buy used then."
To answer the second, it does kind of seem like they're almost intentionally driving on-the-fence customers away.

Reactions: .jg. and gsxdsm
To answer your first rhetorical question, I care. When I told my wife just now, she said "I guess we'll have to buy used then."
To answer the second, it does kind of seem like they're almost intentionally driving on-the-fence customers away.

At least for now, there appears to be a good supply of new inventory with the sunroof. Once word gets out they may not last long.

Reactions: gsxdsm