Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this issue as well. Luckily my service guy covered it under good will. I think the problem was it was wet, and then I may have hit a ball. I don't know. repair was super simple, and they did it at my place.
I just had mine fixed under warranty. The tech said he'd check to see if it was impact damage to determine if warranty covers. He couldn't find impact dmg, replaced both front and mid aero shields no charge.

I just discovered this undercarriage fabric tear yesterday. Have you guys heard any updates from Tesla to fix the flaw of chosen material? I wouldn't even use this fabric to line a trunk interior nevertheless have it exposed to the harsh elements via the undercarriage.

I had the same problem this summer. Heard a dragging noise after driving through deep water. I suspect it may have started to tear last winter after driving through deep snow. I secured it by loosening the bolts on either side of it and running a wire between them and tightening the bolts. Our local Ranger fixed it at my work about 2 months later. I haven't checked to see it the material was any more secure.

I was under the impression that area should have had a metal piece between them to prevent it from happening again.

Same thing happened to me on Sunday morning.
Searched and found this huge thread.

Got a mobile appointment on Wed
Part Replacement is M3 MID AERO, LWRT(1104313-00-A) - $200
Labour - $105

Will reference the Service bulletin as this is clearly a design flaw and should be covered by warranty.

Same thing happened to me on Sunday morning.
Searched and found this huge thread.

Got a mobile appointment on Wed
Part Replacement is M3 MID AERO, LWRT(1104313-00-A) - $200
Labour - $105

Will reference the Service bulletin as this is clearly a design flaw and should be covered by warranty.

I was quoted $165 for the part, $35 for labor, 12.7 for tax, 212.7 total. I'm trying to fight for a warranty repair as well. I know two other ppl in CT that got this done under warranty.

Interesting to note my part # quoted is a -B and not the -A you mention above.

I was quoted $165 for the part, $35 for labor, 12.7 for tax, 212.7 total. I'm trying to fight for a warranty repair as well. I know two other ppl in CT that got this done under warranty.

Interesting to note my part # quoted is a -B and not the -A you mention above.

My M3 is at Seattle SODO Service Center and they're not treating this undercarriage wool blanket tear as a warranty repair and wants $200. Obviously a design flaw that Tesla is ignoring. Where next to get them to do the right thing?

Reactions: beachmiles
I've only had the car just over a month, and I also have this issue. We had a bad rain storm a few weeks ago, and after driving through a few "rivers" near my house I heard a light scraping sound. I thought maybe a branch was caught under the car, but when I looked under the car I saw this piece hanging. I scheduled a service appointment (which was today), and while the guy they sent was nice he said Tesla wouldn't cover it under warranty. I explained how I've never had another car do this before; how it's a month old, etc. He agreed with me that it was dumb; and while I mentioned the service bulletin that was put out for 17-18 models that didn't sway his opinion. I shook his hand and told him I wasn't going to pay $212 to replace it. So I guess I can't drive my tesla in the rain. Can't wait to see what happens in the snow (another reason I didn't pay to fix it). Clearly this issue wasn't resolved as I have a 2019 model. Good luck out there everyone.
IMG_6488.jpg

I've only had the car just over a month, and I also have this issue. We had a bad rain storm a few weeks ago, and after driving through a few "rivers" near my house I heard a light scraping sound. I thought maybe a branch was caught under the car, but when I looked under the car I saw this piece hanging. I scheduled a service appointment (which was today), and while the guy they sent was nice he said Tesla wouldn't cover it under warranty. I explained how I've never had another car do this before; how it's a month old, etc. He agreed with me that it was dumb; and while I mentioned the service bulletin that was put out for 17-18 models that didn't sway his opinion. I shook his hand and told him I wasn't going to pay $212 to replace it. So I guess I can't drive my tesla in the rain. Can't wait to see what happens in the snow (another reason I didn't pay to fix it). Clearly this issue wasn't resolved as I have a 2019 model. Good luck out there everyone.View attachment 471205

How about a little foil tape?
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Foil-Tape-3381-Silver/dp/B00A7I5L86/

Looks like it'd repair that tear just fine.

I'm not saying it's right, and I sure as hel* think Tesla should be covering this nonsense, but ... I wonder if the foil tape would do the trick.

Reactions: beachmiles
I mentioned the service bulletin that was put out for 17-18 models that didn't sway his opinion.

does anyone have a copy of this service bulletin?

Edit: I found it https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153430-9999.pdf

Some very interesting text in here including (bold emphasis mine):

"On some Model 3 vehicles, the front and/or mid aero shield panels might be susceptible to damage when driving through standing water. Updated panels are available which have a more robust design than the original panels."

"Affected VIN(s) Affected Model 3 vehicles built before approximately November 29, 2018."

Anyone have this more robust design or know what it is?

Update: New part as indeed B and got replaced under warranty. Had to show the TSB and had 2 managers look into it before proceeding with the repair.
New part is dated June 2019.. while mine was March 2018.
It seems to be more rigid and thicker from what I can tell.

View attachment 471464 View attachment 471465

Looks only slightly better, still basically compressed fabric.
Considering the response, I'm surprised no one has come out with aftermarket replacements in plastic or titanium.
I think it's time to page @EVTuning EVannex RPM Tesla etc

Reactions: 03DSG
Considering the response, I'm surprised no one has come out with aftermarket replacements in plastic or titanium.
Already in the works. Just expensive to produce on your own. Maybe by next year it'll happen.

Already in the works. Just expensive to produce on your own. Maybe by next year it'll happen.

There is a rumor that Tesla is going to make a plastic version that be available for retrofits.