Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by the Rivian tent/booth in Austin last weekend and came away pretty impressed. I do see an R1T in my future, but they still haven’t answered my two main remaining questions. 1) What’s the actual price going to be? 2) How are they going to handle inevitable service and repairs? Sounds like they will be doing the service centers themselves, it’s just will the closest service location be 15 minutes away, 3 hours away, or 6-8 hours away?

They said both of those questions should be answered this summer when they take the first customer configuration orders for delivery by the end of the year.

I will say that the R1T looks great in person. They definitely had a lot of fans at the show with their booth being packed all weekend long.

2) How are they going to handle inevitable service and repairs?

If LIncoln is selling an electric SUV with identical skateboard to RS1 then I am sure Lincoln dealers will be able to service hardware issues with powertrain/suspension. I am sure Rivian owners will be able to go there for out of warranty hardware skateboard issues. Getting it serviced under warranty might only be available at Rivian service centers.

The tophat might be very different with incompatible parts.

... but they still haven’t answered my two main remaining questions. 1) What’s the actual price going to be? 2) How are they going to handle inevitable service and repairs?

As a reservation holder those questions don’t bother me as much as “Where will I charge?”. Sure I can charge at home, which makes it a nice commuter vehicle, but I question the ability to travel with it. EA still fails to impress me even tho they are touting their fast chargers, and my experience with EA has taught me they are not a reliable option. I generally stop at any EA station I come across (as we travel the US & Canada) and have yet to find one where all the chargers are operational. For my purposes, Rivian isn’t viable until EA is.

Thanks Rob. I’m still nervous about their manufacturing ability. That video showed us completely empty factory space (!) and a single stamping machine. They interviewed designers and what seemed to be design engineers. No manufacturing engineers that I could tell.

Anyone remember how long it took Tesla from when they had a prepared but empty Fremont factory to first Model S?

Reactions: Skryll
Thanks Rob. I’m still nervous about their manufacturing ability. That video showed us completely empty factory space (!) and a single stamping machine. They interviewed designers and what seemed to be design engineers. No manufacturing engineers that I could tell.

Anyone remember how long it took Tesla from when they had a prepared but empty Fremont factory to first Model S?

To answer my own question, here's a Tesla blog post from October 2011 talking about a factory tour early reservation holders got in presumably September 2011: Revealing Model S Beta

It says in part: "The factory was in full swing, with press, welding and final assembly robots demonstration what full-scale production will look like."

Tesla delivered the first batch of cars June 22, 2012, but that was only a handful of cars. As I recall, production and thus deliveries didn't get going until about November 2012.

My point being that it took Tesla pretty much a year from the point they had final assembly robots going through their paces before they had even modest production volumes. I'm still waiting for Rivian's "press, welding and final assembly robots demonstration"...

Yeah, that video doesn't do much for me. We see a press operating, but no dies. We see basic infrastructure being put in place like ventilation. I'm mystified why Rivian isn't using this time to have isolated workers continue to do some basic construction. Also, the same sentiment being espoused by rather ordinary people, over and over: "Gosh, golly gee, this is so totally cool!", is a bit unimpressive.

Reactions: gene
Yeah, that video doesn't do much for me. We see a press operating, but no dies. We see basic infrastructure being put in place like ventilation. I'm mystified why Rivian isn't using this time to have isolated workers continue to do some basic construction. Also, the same sentiment being espoused by rather ordinary people, over and over: "Gosh, golly gee, this is so totally cool!", is a bit unimpressive.

Nothing does much for you. :)

We were supposed to be ~7.5 months from Job 1.

No work being done at the factory right now. Conveyor system and isolation rooms were being built in addition to basics like factory HVAC.

So Job 1 definitely getting pushed back.