Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of Rivian I think that the company couldn't handle delivering power trains to all these car manufacturers. They are currently a small company so I think they are more than happy right now to deliver their technology for other hypercars. Btw I think Rivian is currently more than busy developing powertrains and electronics for Mclaren, Aston Martin, and Pininfarina plus Porsche owns 10% of Rivian so they might have been helping them out with their Taycan as well.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
Speaking of Rivian I think that the company couldn't handle delivering power trains to all these car manufacturers. They are currently a small company so I think they are more than happy right now to deliver their technology for other hypercars. Btw I think Rivian is currently more than busy developing powertrains and electronics for Mclaren, Aston Martin, and Pininfarina plus Porsche owns 10% of Rivian so they might have been helping them out with their Taycan as well.

I think you're talking about Rimac, not Rivian.

Last edited:
I think the difference is Rivian doesn't need GM.

GM is used to pushing around small suppliers and getting parts/systems at near cost.

GM doesn't know software, Jeff Bezos does.

I think GM looked at it and was not impressed enough to make a deal. Remember a decade ago Mercedes looked at the electric Smart Tesla put together in a few short months and was impressed enough to make a deal to buy drivetrain plus invest in the company? You need to show real stuff not just a business plan and paper design.

BTW not sure what software Rivian has. Everyone wants to make high tech autonomous vehicles on paper.

BTW not sure what software Rivian has. Everyone wants to make high tech autonomous vehicles on paper.

I was thinking about this today. Our X lease is up at the end of 2020, and I see absolutely zero path to Rivian even having a real manufacturing setup by that point. We're about 20 months out from that and all I have seen is that they have two prototype vehicles they drive around. What do they actually have besides a manufacturing plant they bought on the cheap a while back?

I was thinking about this today. Our X lease is up at the end of 2020, and I see absolutely zero path to Rivian even having a real manufacturing setup by that point. We're about 20 months out from that and all I have seen is that they have two prototype vehicles they drive around. What do they actually have besides a manufacturing plant they bought on the cheap a while back?

So, all they have is two working prototypes, a manufacturing plant, a billion dollars and the richest person in the U.S. backing them?

Not saying 2020 is feasible or not, just that is a pretty good headstart.

Reactions: mspohr

I posted this in the Bollinger thread. What I said there should apply to the Rivian situation too.

The (only) purpose of actions of those start ups from Faraday Future to Fisker to Rivian to to Bolliger is to impress investors. Consumers should take what they say with a heavy dose of salt or they will be duly disappointed.

Saw both Rivians today at the NYIAS press day. The fit/finish is good but clearly prototypes. I like the overall styling, etc.

They are HUGE. I’m sorry but no way to park them in a space. The SUV makes a Range Rover look small.

6CD4FDDF-A634-4B82-8DA7-EBAE8E7AC351.jpeg
5BB4D958-AA7F-4B2E-A372-EE0457B127B0.jpeg
FFD8F0CF-2179-420A-8472-EEB53B5650AA.jpeg
B3A4D0DD-52AD-4EA7-8A6B-8232A7BE791B.jpeg

F032A3D2-4F14-43F8-AB0C-434DDD10F1C0.jpeg

C72299CC-8779-48C6-B5DA-D8C7121D1A6E.jpeg

Or is it you are comparing to other huge cars?

The R1S is within ½" of the MX for both width and length. The wheelbase is over 4" longer than the X which makes the size look larger (in addition to the boxy shape).
I also just got back from 9 days in Sicily where tiny Fiats are everywhere haha.

I was at Tesla today and the MX just doesn't look as huge as the Rivian. I'll just have to wait until you guys see a Rivian in person.

• Funny
Reactions: Skryll
I also just got back from 9 days in Sicily where tiny Fiats are everywhere haha.

I was at Tesla today and the MX just doesn't look as huge as the Rivian. I'll just have to wait until you guys see a Rivian in person.

Rivian was at the LA Auto Show last year. Having more upright windshield and the no sloping roof makes it look bigger.

In Italy, the largest car that fits in our garage is a Fiat Panda. Don't see a Rivian in our future there, we will have to wait for the Model 2.

Reactions: Snow Drift