Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2 ( formerly 2010 model )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the seat adjust up or down (the steering wheel as well)? I drove a Tesla for the first time this weekend but it was a 2008 VP so wondering if these things had been changed. Thanks.

The driver's seat adjusts front/back. Neither seat adjusts up/down and the steering wheel does not adjust.

There are inflatable lumbar supports in both seats.

The seats themselves are different from most of the 2008 VPs (more comfortable).

Thanks. I'm trying to come up with reasons not to order a Roadster:smile: It was just way too much fun to drive and waiting 2 years for the Model S is going to be tough. The Roadster definitely is a pure sports car. Have the Roadster owners (taller ones since I'm 6'3") been happy with using the car as a daily commuter as well (getting groceries, going golfing...etc)?
It looks like the Roadster 2 has made some good refinements to the interior which is nice. Would love to get the Sport with carbon fiber accents.

I drove various prototypes (though not for hours) and don't really feel much difference between their seats and the ones in my car. They are functional and I don't find them particularly comfortable, nor particularly uncomfortable /shrug.

I am not a tall person, but my upper body is disproportionately long for my height, similar to most 6' 3" or so folks. There's plenty of leg room regardless (I have to scoot the seat up). There's also still plenty of headroom with the top on, and your head isn't sticking up into the fast air with the top off, even given my tall upper body, and scooted forward seat (sort of a worst case I would think).

Despite what I say above about height being well dealt with, I do find my up and forward visibility to be a bit restricted, particularly in looking at stop lights. Often I find myself creeping forward a lot or craning my neck to look over the edge of the windshield, or ducking my head to look under the edge. To correct this, I've considered removing the sun visor on the driver side, since it's tiny anyway and I've yet to use it for its actual purpose. I think that would open up the visibility just enough, and have heard from Tesla that others have done so.

It is tight getting in and out with the top on, but I think that's the case no matter what. If you and your passengers are anything other than rails, you are also going to be well acquainted with the shoulders and arms of your passenger, but that's a width thing, not a height thing :)

Bottom line, the room is limited, but appropriate for the type of car it is, and they've done a remarkably god job in terms of dealing with height differences.

I pulled off the visors the first day.

The trunk holds about $120.00 worth of groceries. ($150 if you shop high end). I don't golf but as a daily driver the only problem is that all my other cars just sit.
I go out of my way to always take the Roadster. I try to fit in too many work supplies, go shopping for a gross of watermelons and generally use it when I really shouldn't. It's addicting.

Roadster Rehab?

I pulled off the visors the first day.

The trunk holds about $120.00 worth of groceries. ($150 if you shop high end). I don't golf but as a daily driver the only problem is that all my other cars just sit.

Or about five grocery bag filled to ¾ full... the sixth goes on the passenger floor between the pessengers legs (who then scowls at you all the way home).

The fix is to make two trips... twice the fun!

wrt: forward visability; visors slide off but reveal ugly metal bar. However, in my MINI I had to crane forward to see stop lights and I'm only 5'10" (at best).

Or about five grocery bag filled to ¾ full... the sixth goes on the passenger floor between the pessengers legs (who then scowls at you all the way home).

The fix is to make two trips... twice the fun!

wrt: forward visability; visors slide off but reveal ugly metal bar. However, in my MINI I had to crane forward to see stop lights and I'm only 5'10" (at best).

I wrapped the metal bars in a special non reflective black tape but I read on the owner's forum that someone for a rubber tube to slide on. I though some black shrink wrap might look good as well.

Agreed on the the items between the passengers legs though the e-car-love here is shared so there is no scowing. :wink:

five eleven (on a good day)

As a daily commuter: hell yeah! Mobile therapy, that's what I call it. A great break between work and home. And I get to plug-in at work.

On forward visibility: I love the Sector11 microMirror I put in; it helps with the forward visibility (and goes well with the '08s super-spartan/zen theme). I did actually half-run a red because I didn't see the light starting to change - you do have to remember to look when you're close. I do actually use the sun visors (I'm 5'11", and at sunset driving west, they do help). I wouldn't use shrink tubing, as I think that would be hard to remove (but if you want, it's easily available at Home Depot). I'd think rubber or plastic tubing wouldn't be too hard to find.

I tell people I traded up from a 911, and I mean it!

I wouldn't use shrink tubing, as I think that would be hard to remove (but if you want, it's easily available at Home Depot). I'd think rubber or plastic tubing wouldn't be too hard to find.
I was thinking black rubber tube might be easier to find that's less reflective than plastic.
If someday you wanted to reinstall the visors I see no problem removing shrink wrap since it's on a steel rod. You could just run an Xacto or razor blade down the shaft and cut it off. Even if you were heavy handed there would not be any cosmetic concerns since it would just be recovered again.

I'm actually more concerned with putting shrink wrap on. If the rod stays in place the heat source would be close to car bits you do no want to melt so a judicious use of heat reflecting foil, leather or asbestos (!) would need to be used in an upside down position. :eek:

Agreed on the the items between the passengers legs though the e-car-love here is shared so there is no scowling. :wink:

One of the owners came to the Refuel races with his sister and her dog in the passenger seat. The large(ish) dog has a custom made, spandex "Tesla suit" so it doesn't shed fur or scratch the interior when on Tesla excursions.

Interesting, I didn't realize regen wasn't available when fully charged, I thought there was always some "room" available in the pack. How long after starting to drive does the "no regen" light go away?

I actually charged a little bit in range mode today. My car was at 227 ideal miles when I left my house. I switch the Roadster back into Standard mode and it immediately changed to 202 miles. The No Regen warning light was on. When the Ideal range hit 199 the light went off.

I think that if the Roadster was in range mode the No Regen warning would turn off at Ideal Range 224.

When fully charged in Range mode (244) there is no regen at all in the brake. As you start using the miles and ticking down, the regen gradually starts coming back into the brake system. It is back to normal regen at 199 standard mode or 224 range mode.

Interesting, I didn't realize regen wasn't available when fully charged, I thought there was always some "room" available in the pack.

Yes, it is actually a bit disconcerting once you have gotten used to the fairly agressive slow-down at low speeds that regen gives. When you are fully charged in Range mode and let off the pedal to coast to a stop at the oncoming Stop sign... and the sign keeps coming with no slow down, it can give a minor panic.

Graham has said elsewhere that he is 6'4" and is doing 100 miles a day in it.

Yup. Still true. Often much more than 100.

True story:
Email to Tesla this past Wed: Hi, my Roadster has hit 11,000 miles I would like to schedule a time to bring it in for service.

Reply: Service is at 12,000 miles. Please contact us when you are closer to 12,000.

I plan to reply tomorrow (5 days later): I am now at 11,700 miles is that close enough to schedule an appt?

But more to topic: Getting in and out is a pain with the top on because of my height, but once inside it is quite comfortable. Plenty of leg and head room. Better like your passenger though.

Yup. Still true. Often much more than 100.

I plan to reply tomorrow (5 days later): I am now at 11,700 miles is that close enough to schedule an appt?

Wow. I have had my Roadster about 50 days and I am at 2,900 miles. So my average is about 58 per day. A few road trips were the cause of the bulk of my miles. I was feeling bad about putting so many miles on my car so quickly. I could not imagine doing 100+ per day. It is a testament to the Tesla Roadster that you can do that and likely without recharging during the day.

Is it just commuting for work? Or something else that leads to 100+ miles per day? Do you get the opportunity to recharge during the day? Or do you not need it because you are always under 150 miles of driving?

Will the RFMC be helping now during the day? Or not needed?

But more to topic: Getting in and out is a pain with the top on because of my height, but once inside it is quite comfortable. Plenty of leg and head room. Better like your passenger though.

I am 6'3" and deal with the same issues. But I have figured out my entry and exit methods so that it is consistent. But I really have to be comfortable rubbing shoulders with passengers.

I am 6'3" and deal with the same issues. But I have figured out my entry and exit methods so that it is consistent. But I really have to be comfortable rubbing shoulders with passengers.

The guy at the Tesla shop said the doors are built to work with one long aluminum bar that is part of the hinge. The door itself is light as a feather.

He says do not lean on the door getting out of the Roadster or the door alignment will start to sink. Not good.

I have not figured out how to do this.

I hop on the side rail (or whatever it's called - the thing they made wider than the elise, under the door), and put my hand behind the seat, on the carpeted back area to give myself leverage getting out. That or the carbon fiber rollbar. Either one seems solid enough to handle it.

I hop on the side rail (or whatever it's called - the thing they made wider than the elise, under the door), and put my hand behind the seat, on the carpeted back area to give myself leverage getting out. That or the carbon fiber rollbar. Either one seems solid enough to handle it.

I've been hooking one foot under the door for a little leverage as well as using both hands to lift myself out of the seat. With a little practice it makes getting out pretty smooth and almost graceful.

I think we need some video tutorials posted. :smile: