Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
I did a full range mode charge overnight, preparatory to driving up to the OC Brunch at Bru this morning. 341 miles (without top off). I think we've (mostly my wife) have put about 300 miles total on the odometer since the upgrade, only doing standard charges starting at 1am until last night.
Small update: About 15 minutes before I left, I hit "top off" on the car. It got up to 343 miles before I unplugged and started driving.

Reactions: wiztecy
Never paid attention to 2.x PEM.

Additionally, in talking with @ggr, he wasn't sure if they replaced or refurbished the PEM. He felt that they cleaned it... But I'm sure he can brief us on that.

But here are the pictures of @ggr PEM

IMG_20160424_091956 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_20160424_092003 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_20160424_092041 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr
My understanding is that they replaced a board in the PEM, but not the whole thing. Somewhere in the car there was a new PCB put in. But the sticker on the side of the PEM is not new. I think all 2.0s have that bulge on top; Dennis' (1.5) didn't.

Does it still give you the blurb about range mode charging reducing lifetime?

A good photo of the VDS showing 343 miles would be priceless for showing the haters on certain other forums and meet ups...
Yes, it still gives the warning.
I seem to be chronically unable to get a good enough photo of the VDS. But feel free to quote me... I'm honest, honestly!

I thought all 2.x PEM's had an access plate on the right side.
My apologies, I have a 1.5 and am not as familiar with the later versions. My mistake in thinking that @ggr's Roadster's PEM was modified externally when receiving the new 3.0 battery.
Small update: About 15 minutes before I left, I hit "top off" on the car. It got up to 343 miles before I unplugged and started driving.
You mean that when you unplugged at 343 Ideal Miles the car was still charging and if you had let it finish the number would have been even higher? Wow.
@ecarfan is Chet aka "HISTSLA" your dad?
Correct.

Were we able to find out what the new CAC is on the 3.0 ESS? Also those two wires on the right backside of ggr's PEM, are they new? Great news on the 343 number! Curious if the ESS is fully balanced yet, possibly already is since these are brand new cells....
No-one has told me yet how to get the CAC values... being a theoretician myself I have no clue. I could search I guess...
You mean that when you unplugged at 343 Ideal Miles the car was still charging and if you had let it finish the number would have been even higher? Wow.
Yes. When I did my first range mode charge (immediately after getting the car back from the upgrade) it topped out at 335. I have a feeling that there's still a little bit of room for rebalancing. Many years ago we got a new (well, refurbished) battery after a failure, and it took about a month to completely stabilize.

Now I have something weird to report. Mostly my wife drives the Roadster, and plugs it in and such. So I haven't been paying much attention to standard mode charging since the upgrade. I did drive it last week after it had been recently charged and noticed that the standard mode range seemed lower than I expected. Well, anyway, last night having come back from up north I plugged it in as normal, with charge time set to 1:05. This morning it had finished charging, no apparent errors or anything, but:
IMG_0247.JPG

(Note: I figured out that if I put the top on in the garage, I can get photos without annoying reflections! I just never drive it with the top on. Next time...) Note that it isn't showing even close to a full (standard) charge, and 80% of 343 is about 275. Something around 230 is what I remember from the other day as well. Maybe a standard charge now is more like what a range mode charge used to be. Or I'm misrembering the user interface. Or they changed it with the software. Or I'm just totally insane. Anyway, I'll make a point of checking the range and charging status every morning for a while.

Now I have something weird to report. Mostly my wife drives the Roadster, and plugs it in and such. So I haven't been paying much attention to standard mode charging since the upgrade. I did drive it last week after it had been recently charged and noticed that the standard mode range seemed lower than I expected. Well, anyway, last night having come back from up north I plugged it in as normal, with charge time set to 1:05. This morning it had finished charging, no apparent errors or anything, but:
View attachment 173918

The "!" in the lower left corner indicates that there was an alert of some kind. Tap that to see what it was.

View attachment 173918
The picture is displaying the % of standard charge ideal range. In other words, you are showing 230 miles of range at about 83-84% of the standard charge. Calculating backwards, that leads to about ~275 ideal miles at a full standard charge, and ~345 ideal miles on a full range charge.

I'm not sure why it would have stopped charging at that % of standard charge - I would watch it for a couple days and talk with Tesla if that continues.

Interestingly enough, that charge would be right about 66.67% of full range charge - maybe Tesla modified the cutoff point for a standard charge to 66.67% vs the 80% it was at (taking into account the "hidden reserve" accessible by switching into range mode)? This was something that I wondered earlier in this thread - if they would set different points for standard charge, as well as for the amount "reserved" that can be accessed by switching to range mode.

Last edited:
I was hoping that because the 3.0 battery has more advanced cells than those used in the original Roadster battery (my assumption is that they are more resistant to degradation and more tolerant of higher charge states, but of course I could be wrong) that Tesla would modify the Roadster firmware so that the user could select the charge level they want to charge to, like on the S/X. But it appears Tesla has not done that.