Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Best Buy was a surprise. I can check it there. Price seems OK. Wonder is 1/4" would be even better...

Not sure this is a case where thicker is better. I can see issues with the carpet and behind the seats with a thicker Dynamat. Here is a link of what I used. I also added some to a electric Miata and measured a 5 db reduction there as well.

Best Buy - Dynamat - Xtreme 12 Door Dampening Sheets (4-Pack) - Aluminum/Black customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Hello again..........
1. anybody get the stage 2 soundproofing kit with door seals for 2.5???

i dropped off my roadster (2.0 with stage 1 soundproofing kit already installed) at menlo park this morning for service including installation of the stage 2 kit.

they mentioned that i was (to be) the first install of the stage 2 kit at the menlo park location.

i'll report back when i pick up the car later this week.

i dropped off my roadster (2.0 with stage 1 soundproofing kit already installed) at menlo park this morning for service including installation of the stage 2 kit.

they mentioned that i was (to be) the first install of the stage 2 kit at the menlo park location.

I'm planning on getting it done there, too. Thanks, Jory, for giving them a practice car. :)

I'd be very interested to, uh, hear the results. I'd really like the door seals, but they won't sell them separately and I'm unsure of the usefulness of the stage 2 kit. Seems to me wind noise is the bigger issue.

I would love a wind noise fix much more than the road noise this kit works on. Either way, looking forward to hearing what improvements it offers.

Interesting. I find that I am most bothered by what I believe is motor noise. Of course with the top off, the wind noise dominates - but it is supposed to. With the soft top on, I hear motor noise from the rear. I haven't driven with the hard top on yet.

(I have a 1.5 with no noise mods.)

Does the noise kit reduce this motor noise?

Yep, thanks from me too. I'll be brining in my car for service at Menlo in a couple weeks and have been pondering the extra insulation. I find I get a lot of road/tire noise and expect this to help with that. My daily slog up 101 rarely allows me to go fast enough to hear wind noise :)

dynamat kit?

I ended up adding the equavalent of stage 2 sound reduction. Now I know why the ranger said my 1.5 is the quietest Roadster he has driven. When I got the sound reduction kit the Roadster was stripped apart. So before reassembly I purchased 4 Dynamat kits and carefully covered the passinger tub and then inside of the doors. Then we added the sound reduction on top of the Dynamat. But still with the wind noise the Roadster is still not a quiet car.

Dynamat is a sound reduction pad. It is about 1/8" thick and sticks like tape, and is supposed to absorb noise. I measured about a 6 db reduction in noise. I believe a 3 db increase is considered twice as loud.

I went to the website and they have a wide selection of products. What exactly did you buy for your roadster? Did you do the cutting and fitting?
thanks
michael

I have a 2.5 Roadster and the motor noise really doesn't bother me...however, I think I'll have the kit installed just for the door / sill gaskets alone (to keep the sand, grit & slush from getting under the doors...) an expensive fix, but worth it imo...

today i retrieved my car after the installation of the "stage 2 interior sound kit" on my 2.0 roadster (i had previously had the "stage 1 interior sound kit" installed.)

i also had the "cabin area HVAC tube upgrade installed.

first thing to note is that the stage 2 interior sound kit was over $3K (~$1600 for the parts and $1400 for the labor)

the HVAC upgrade was $100 for the part and $175 installation.

-------

the results of the stage 2 sound kit are both subtle and appreciated. i think the main changes i noticed in a couple of hours of city and highway driving was a reduction in ambient noise (especially engine whine) and also the door closing sounds feels/sounds very different -- more like a mercedes than a kit car. i'll be curious to see if conversation with a passenger is less effortful.

i did not notice much of a reduction in road noise (from bumps and such.)

the service manager at tesla menlo park mentioned that someone at tesla had measured 5dB-10dB overall noise reduction.

overall, i am (as someone minorly obsessed with making my roadster quieter) pleased to have had it installed but it admittedly does not make the same type of dramatic difference that the "stage 1 kit" made when i had that installed or even the adjustable suspension (set on softest setting) + tires in comfort mode.

given the moderate SF weather, i did not test the HVAC upgrade but it seemed like a nice to have for those few chilly night drives.

today i retrieved my car after the installation of the "stage 2 interior sound kit" on my 2.0 roadster ... i'll be curious to see if conversation with a passenger is less effortful.
the service manager at tesla menlo park mentioned that someone at tesla had measured 5dB-10dB overall noise reduction.....

Thanks for the report.

Do you hear phone conversations or the radio better?

5 to 10 dB is a big range.