Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just reserved a Roadster founder edition just now. They want $5000 credit card deposit right now. And then they want $45k wire transfer in the next 10 days for the base model reservation or $245k wire transfer in the next 10 days for the founder's edition.

At 1,000 reservations for the founder's edition, that's a $250 million interest free loan for them for the next 2-3 years.

I found out about this car too late. I'm on the east coast of USA. and cannot get to a Tesla dealer until 6 hours from now. I'm worried 1000 units will sell out before tomorrow morning.

I cannot find the link for reserve/deposit, is it too late for me? If not, can someone give me a link?

Appreciate the help.

I found out about this car too late. I'm on the east coast of USA. and cannot get to a Tesla dealer until 6 hours from now. I'm worried 1000 units will sell out before tomorrow morning.

I cannot find the link for reserve/deposit, is it too late for me? If not, can someone give me a link?

Appreciate the help.

Go to tesla.com. You'll get the video form. Fill it out and you'll see links to reserve.

Curious how today's announced Roadster compares in cost to the Roadster when it first came out (Founders Series and non).

Original Roadster was approx $100K, and the 2020 Roadster approx $200K+ so roughly double.
The original Founders' Roadsters were the same specs and price as the regular production ones.
(You just got them sooner, and got some Founders' badging.)
The original Founders' Roadsters weren't available to the general public. You basically had to be a big early investor to get invited to buy one.

I cannot find the link for reserve/deposit, is it too late for me? If not, can someone give me a link? Appreciate the help.
Roadster | Tesla
upload_2017-11-17_3-17-27.png

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Original Roadster was approx $100K, and the 2020 Roadster approx $200K+ so roughly double.
The original Founders' Roadsters were the same specs and price as the regular production ones.
(You just got them sooner, and got some Founders' badging.)
The original Founders' Roadsters weren't available to the general public. You basically had to be a big early investor to get invited to buy one.

Totally un-fact-supported thought here. For the extra 50k (and 3 years time value of money), perhaps the Founder's get the performance version (at a discount).

Porsche probably has a production electric by then

Is there anything on the horizon other than the Mission-E which I read is not due until end 2019? The stats for that:
  • Acceleration 0-100 km/h < 3.5 sec
    Acceleration 0-200 km/h < 12 sec
  • Top speed > 250 km/h
  • Power > 440 kW (> 600 hp)
  • Range > 500 km (300 Miles)
  • Charging time 80% in < 15 min
source

are eclipsed by new Roadster - except perhaps the charging time (although based on range of 600 miles, and Porsche's 80% of 300 miles = 240 and if Roadster charges 70% in 35 mins as per other Tesla battery sizes, then Roadster would only need 20 minutes at an existing Supercharger. No idea what rollout of chargers for Porsche is likely to be by 2020 ...

Wow wish I could afford it... need a new job.. my Military retirement wont cover this! (suggestions welcome!) incredible "super Car" at a none super car price.
I love the video Elon "and it will seat 4" from the crowd "WHAT" Elon yeah 2 plus 2, okay thay cant be Big humans... :)

Yes, it does. They are doing this way too early for it not to be anything but a financing round.

I've seen companies go down this route before and Tesla is more and more going from the "selling the future today" business to "billing the future today" business (see EAP/FSD) and that's unfortunate. The first Roadster were far more understandable for their time (a very small company), Model S, Model X and Model 3 reservations were conservative (though may have in some ways acted in similar manner), but for a very large company like Tesla today, this is pretty much unheard of - unless the company is short on cash...

Other than that, seems like a great car. I'm sure they'll get their 1000+.
Actually, I think the timing is perfect. Think of Tesla's larger mission - getting the world off fossil fuels - and the recent disgorgement of concept cars and claimed product plans from the traditional car manufacturers. Elon said it best: the new Roadster is a "hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars." All those concepts and plans are at this point hardly more substantial than the airwaves we viewed them on. Just as with the original Roadster, there needs to be something exciting, paradigm-shifting, and most importantly, tangible on the roads to force those all those plans to become real. Only then will Tesla win in its mission. By showing the car publicly, Tesla can now move forward with production and occasional poparatzi-visible on-the-road testing to keep reminding the other manufacturers that the car is real, and that they better make good on their promises.

And, besides, every manufacturer needs a Halo product. The MS/X are getting long in the tooth and way too common to maintain their image. The money is nice, no doubt about that, but maintaining and extending their image is probably more important than a "mere" $250 million to their long-term survival.

Well, I can't pull the trigger yet. It's a long way out and the deposit isn't trivial. I'm interested, no question about it. If it were around the corner, I'd be much closer. I like the design, but I don't know if it feels "Tesla" enough for me. Probably just because I haven't stared at it long enough. That will definitely change. :)

I had a hard time sleeping last night because I've been waiting for this moment for some time, and deciding whether to jump in fully or not was tough. But as of now, I'm going to watch things unfold.

Feeling a little :(.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Well, I can't pull the trigger yet. It's a long way out and the deposit isn't trivial. I'm interested, no question about it. If it were around the corner, I'd be much closer. I like the design, but I don't know if it feels "Tesla" enough for me. Probably just because I haven't stared at it long enough. That will definitely change. :)

I had a hard time sleeping last night because I've been waiting for this moment for some time, and deciding whether to jump in fully or not was tough. But as of now, I'm going to watch things unfold.

Feeling a little :(.

Similar to how I feel. It's too far out to commit that much money to. The price seems fine to me but I can get tied up in a three year wait.