Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumors - upcoming features, costs, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the line up will be as follows: S60; S85; P85; P+85 with AWD; I see the AWD being placed only on the P+ and selling for a huge premium. Good for the bottom line at TM and minimal cut into X sales in the future. TM has always maintained that the S is fine without AWD. If you want it in the S, then get the 'super S' (cost all tricked out: $140K)

For a real example, I would prefer an AWD S to an AWD X. The S is already a LARGE car for me, and certainly larger than I need. However, even though the 2WD of my current S is good most of the time, it would be nice to have AWD to get me from 95% of the winter days in Pagosa to 98% or 99% of the winter days. BTW, 99% winter use is VERY good; my tricked out Jeep with 4 chains only does that well. The other nice feature that I am hoping to see on the X is a towing package; I doubt that will be added to the AWD S. For day sailing on Navajo, it would be really nice to use my electric car to tow my sailboat with its electric "kicker" motor down to the lake and back!

All this discussion has me thinking. I am not as far up on the list as Bonnie, but I do have X Signature reservation #87. I guess I will keep my hand in the game until I have more info or am forced to make a decision...

For a real example, I would prefer an AWD S to an AWD X. The S is already a LARGE car for me, and certainly larger than I need. However, even though the 2WD of my current S is good most of the time, it would be nice to have AWD to get me from 95% of the winter days in Pagosa to 98% or 99% of the winter days. BTW, 99% winter use is VERY good; my tricked out Jeep with 4 chains only does that well. The other nice feature that I am hoping to see on the X is a towing package; I doubt that will be added to the AWD S. For day sailing on Navajo, it would be really nice to use my electric car to tow my sailboat with its electric "kicker" motor down to the lake and back!

All this discussion has me thinking. I am not as far up on the list as Bonnie, but I do have X Signature reservation #87. I guess I will keep my hand in the game until I have more info or am forced to make a decision...
This is where my wife is....She insists on AWD even though she agrees that the RWD S handles our snow in Delaware well. My SigX reservation is much higher than yours (604) and I would like it to replace a gas guzzling SUV she drives now. She does not like the 'falcon doors' so the dilemma in my home (first world problem I admit) is AWD S or X........I am holding out for the X.....:wink:

Pretty sure I read or heard Elon say that the X would be able to tow. (Disclaimer: I thought he said base price for X of 55k too and I was wrong.)

My wife and I were just discussing today about how the X would be an awesome tour the USA vehicle pulling a small camper. Staying at campgrounds to top off and hitting superchargers in between. By middle of next year you should be able to loop northern USA and come back on the southern route.

True you may only get 150-200 miles towing a small camper, however the cost to do such an adventure would be very minimal.

Pretty sure I read or heard Elon say that the X would be able to tow. (Disclaimer: I thought he said base price for X of 55k too and I was wrong.)

My wife and I were just discussing today about how the X would be an awesome tour the USA vehicle pulling a small camper. Staying at campgrounds to top off and hitting superchargers in between. By middle of next year you should be able to loop northern USA and come back on the southern route.

True you may only get 150-200 miles towing a small camper, however the cost to do such an adventure would be very minimal.

We are planning to make this trip with our two kids next year (11 & 9). We're thinking hotels, though. It never occurred to me to rent a camper. Using the superchargers would be a serious PITA though. You would have to disconnect each time.

We are planning to make this trip with our two kids next year (11 & 9). We're thinking hotels, though. It never occurred to me to rent a camper. Using the superchargers would be a serious PITA though. You would have to disconnect each time.

As long as they are not busy you could parallel park and leave a note on your dashboard to call of you are blocking someone.

On the bright side, that backup camera would make hitching a breeze.

Obviously we are all excited about an AWD S - whenever it comes! I want it for better safety in rain (and snow even though it's infrequent in the Southeast) more traction on launches, and more traction on regen (having both acceleration and regeneration on all 4 wheels should mean much more even tire wear too!)

I also heard a rumor that it's going to be offered as a retrofit to existing Model S's (I don't remember where I heard this, I thought Elon said it but not sure) although I'm sure it will cost an arm and a leg.

I'm also really excited about the 400 mile roadster pack, and the 10-15% battery density improvements from the new battery chemistry that were talked about in the Q2 call. I wonder if the Model X pack will have that new formula right off the bat. That would mean a lighter pack in comparison to the Model S and possibly the ability to support the same range of a Model S on the same power sized pack (despite the increased air drag of the X...) Can't wait till the rumors crystallize into reality!

Last edited:
I also heard a rumor that it's going to be offered as a retrofit to existing Model S's (I don't remember where I heard this, I thought Elon said it but not sure) although I'm sure it will cost an arm and a leg.
Yes. It goes like this. You drive to your local service center. You hand them your key fob and grab a water. They come back a few minutes later with your fob reprogrammed for the 2015 red vehicle sitting out front with <= 95 miles on it. Your out-of-pocket cost for the upgrade is ~$120,000.

Oh, and you get a new keyring like the one you got when you reserved your first Model S.

13 of us here on this thread can step forward and take a bow, or even do a Told-U-So Dance as they guessed correctly that the AWD D was the next Tesla move.

What tipped me off was someone mentioning in another thread the possibility of different gear ratios for the AWD front vs back. A true 'beauty part' concept that ties it all together.

Then Tesla offers up yet another surprise in the S85D, the LOW power AWD, for 'normal' drivers to enjoy. Who could possibly have guessed this one - FANTASTIC!!
--

Last edited:
Due congrats to those who read the tea leaves.

Then Tesla offers up yet another surprise in the S85D, the low power AWD, for 'normal' drivers to enjoy. Who could possibly have guessed this one - FANTASTIC!!

Yes, and my wife's upcoming new car, and our second Model S! For us, one "P" car in the family is enough! We are gratefully for the "sensible" option!

Forget Mod3, This spy shot is clearly of the screen in the top secret HS85P+ . . .but you didn't hear this from me. :wink:

44998876bc911da0c6d7e74b8c7d2c91.jpg

Attachments

• Tessla hovercraft mode.jpg
    Tessla hovercraft mode.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 174