Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour: Model 3/Y to lose stalks in 2023 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had buttons for indicators, wipers, horn and main beam on my Cerbera and it actually worked really well. Difference is though it was a quick steering rack so you never needed to turn the wheel much more than 90 degrees and with the type of car it was you would normally always have 2 hands on the wheel. Not sure it would be quite as user friendly in the Model Y.

Bad idea IMO. Although granted I’ve not driven it, but I honestly can’t imagine driving like that. changing gears quickly for parking when you’re shuffling back and forth is better with a level that you don’t look at because you’re focusing around you while parking. Indicators leaning in the direction you’re going again is almost a subconcious thing and I don’t want to look at buttons or use anything haptic/touch for that.

1) not having stalks which are there without looking and everyone is used to what they do and where they are
2) it saving more than maybe 50c on production costs. If they’re pretending its for FSD well then I look forward to the steering wheel being retractable as otherwise it wouldn’t make a difference.

will they give us the ability to keep autopilot on when we change lanes? Because if that now needs the touchscreen to reactivate every lane change I’m never likely to use it on motorways. I’ve just about come to terms with the bongs but the only thing that makes it livable is it being on a simple stalk
Almost certainly done from the steering wheel. Like it is on the model S where its a click of the scroll wheel according to the article

Reactions: Mrklaw