Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Ford now working towards adding the NACS charge port to their vehicle. We will now have a very tactile vehicle with access to the best supercharging network available. Clearly Tesla better hope they have a better solution with "stalkless" controls and "horn buttons", because one of the largest barriers to alternative EV's is looking like it will removed (the current lousy DCFC infrastructure).
If GM adopts NACS, I'd take a Blazer SS or Lyriq over the MYP without question. And the Blazer's and Lyriq's sunroofs will open.

Last edited:
For those who think screen control is okay, let me share with you an example. This is not so much about speed of controls or location, but rather, accuracy and efficiency.

Driving my son's Ford Fusion the other day, his gear shifter is this stupid dial on the center console. Gotta look down, dial it to the correct gear, then look up. What is really ridiculous is that it is the SAME EXACT dial as the either the stereo or AC control on the dash (I can't remember which one). Every time I go to change gears, I have to focus and think about it.

Now, here's the difference between the vehicles: when I change gears on the Ford, as much as I hate it, I absolutely positively know that I am in the gear I am supposed to be in. Not so with this screen control. I swipe up, or swipe down, and if I am not meticulous, with my itty-bitty index finger, it does not change gears. Especially if I am in a hurry making quick 3-point turns. Perhaps if there was a huge slider where I can use one or several fingers, maybe it would be more accurate and easy. But, it is not.

For those who think screen control is okay, let me share with you an example. This is not so much about speed of controls or location, but rather, accuracy and efficiency.

Driving my son's Ford Fusion the other day, his gear shifter is this stupid dial on the center console. Gotta look down, dial it to the correct gear, then look up. What is really ridiculous is that it is the SAME EXACT dial as the either the stereo or AC control on the dash (I can't remember which one). Every time I go to change gears, I have to focus and think about it.

Now, here's the difference between the vehicles: when I change gears on the Ford, as much as I hate it, I absolutely positively know that I am in the gear I am supposed to be in. Not so with this screen control. I swipe up, or swipe down, and if I am not meticulous, with my itty-bitty index finger, it does not change gears. Especially if I am in a hurry making quick 3-point turns. Perhaps if there was a huge slider where I can use one or several fingers, maybe it would be more accurate and easy. But, it is not.
I used to think radio-type knobs were the dumbest way to select gears until the Model S/X refresh came around.

I have both 3 and S. Shifting gears on the screen is not that bad at all, I'm curious if that fails. My biggest issue is the left and right arrows. That idea works on autopilot but when you're trying to weave in and out of traffic, it's challenging. Most likely you'll turn without any signal.lol

I have both 3 and S. Shifting gears on the screen is not that bad at all, I'm curious if that fails. My biggest issue is the left and right arrows. That idea works on autopilot but when you're trying to weave in and out of traffic, it's challenging. Most likely you'll turn without any signal.lol
That's not surprising. Many cars have the gear shift on the console between the driver's seat and the front passenger's seat. When Tesla put the shifter on the stalk, it also must have been considered a "radical" departure from the norm. How often do you shift gears anyway? It happens usually when you are parked. Three point turns and parallel parking are situations that are much less common. Even now, if you open the driver's door to exit while stopped and in D, the car automatically shifts to P.

On the other hand, finding the new turn signal buttons might be an issue to some drivers. But considering that ergonomically, Tesla's are designed for FSD, the need for a the turn signal stalk must have not been considered critical by the designers.

if it fails theres a second set of gearshifting touchbuttons in the centre console.

Reactions: Michael24
That's not surprising. Many cars have the gear shift on the console between the driver's seat and the front passenger's seat. When Tesla put the shifter on the stalk, it also must have been considered a "radical" departure from the norm. How often do you shift gears anyway? It happens usually when you are parked. Three point turns and parallel parking are situations that are much less common. Even now, if you open the driver's door to exit while stopped and in D, the car automatically shifts to P.

On the other hand, finding the new turn signal buttons might be an issue to some drivers. But considering that ergonomically, Tesla's are designed for FSD, the need for a the turn signal stalk must have not been considered critical by the designers.

gearshifter imho only went on the stalk because they bought parts from mercedes. the prototype may have even still had buttons in the centre consoles to shift.

They definitely focused on the FSD and autopilot for the turn signal. I was thinking of an alternative option. Stalk really is the best one for turn signal, try signaling while weaving in and out in 405 at 65mph. I failed multiple times hitting the turn signal correctly. Lol

Last edited:
My 2021 MSLR was totaled last week.
Build date was 2020 so it came standard with a steering wheel, turn signals, and gear shifter.
I knew about the yoke steering wheel in the post-2021 models but had no idea the turn signal and gear shifter was removed too.
Thankfully I looked here before buying new because I noted the option on Tesla.com to choose a steering wheel on a 2023 model but had no idea the stalks for the turn signal and gear shifter were gone. That is not advertised/disclosed on Tesla.com.
After reading through this post I bought a 2020 pre-owned off Tesla.com and await delivery.

But after reading a link last night posted by a member here about the software updates on the 2023 models, I wonder if I’ll regret that decision.

For instance, do new Tesla’s have a better Autopilot system and/or safety/crash prevention system or is the newer model just geared more for the greatly anticipated autonomous driving carrot that’s been dangled for so long?

In other words, is the big advantage on the new and much more expensive models X & S based exclusively upon the hope that fully autonomous driving will be here within a year or so?

Is there any other advantage or benefit to the 2023 models over the 2020/2021 models?

I was also confused about Tesla, removing Sonar or radar, which seems like a bigger problem than removing the stalks.

Maybe there’s a thread on this issue already?

My 2021 MSLR was totaled last week.
Build date was 2020 so it came standard with a steering wheel, turn signals, and gear shifter.
I knew about the yoke steering wheel in the post-2021 models but had no idea the turn signal and gear shifter was removed too.
Thankfully I looked here before buying new because I noted the option on Tesla.com to choose a steering wheel on a 2023 model but had no idea the stalks for the turn signal and gear shifter were gone. That is not advertised/disclosed on Tesla.com.
After reading through this post I bought a 2020 pre-owned off Tesla.com and await delivery.

But after reading a link last night posted by a member here about the software updates on the 2023 models, I wonder if I’ll regret that decision.

For instance, do new Tesla’s have a better Autopilot system and/or safety/crash prevention system or is the newer model just geared more for the greatly anticipated autonomous driving carrot that’s been dangled for so long?

In other words, is the big advantage on the new and much more expensive models X & S based exclusively upon the hope that fully autonomous driving will be here within a year or so?

Is there any other advantage or benefit to the 2023 models over the 2020/2021 models?

I was also confused about Tesla, removing Sonar or radar, which seems like a bigger problem than removing the stalks.

Maybe there’s a thread on this issue already?

Sonar and radar were removed to save money and combat chip shortage. Highland Model 3 will have HW4 and a radar again.... While vision parking sensors are impressive there arent reliable enough imho. but then again parking sensors are nice but not really needed.

Last edited:

Wait so the current model 3 and Y currently do not come with gear shifter? That's terrible