Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour: Model 3/Y to lose stalks in 2023 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My recollection of that fiasco was that Tesla service centre had windscreens and Autoglass didn't and, ultimately, the insurance companies caved and allowed owners to get windscreens fitted at Tesla. Of course that may have been of Tesla's making, rather than Autoglass ... but on the multiple times I've been required, by my insurance, to use Autoglass the experience was diabolical, so I'm not sure Autoglass are without blame :)
I actually had a good one... well... at extent :D it was with my old Mazda 6 tho.

Autoglass came to fix chip, fixed the chip, and then window cracked next day, while car was parked on the drive. So they had to replace whole windshield
Paid excess for chip (30 gbp then)
did not have to pay for windshield replacement as was under warranty (80 excess)

My recollection of that fiasco was that Tesla service centre had windscreens and Autoglass didn't and, ultimately, the insurance companies caved and allowed owners to get windscreens fitted at Tesla. Of course that may have been of Tesla's making, rather than Autoglass ... but on the multiple times I've been required, by my insurance, to use Autoglass the experience was diabolical, so I'm not sure Autoglass are without blame :)
Tesla got stock before Autoglass but there was still a period where Tesla couldn’t supply screens.

There is currently a backlog for used vehicles that Tesla is selling but unable to deliver because they are awaiting parts. There is no doubt that Tesla’s spares holding in Europe/UK is extremely poor compared to the established manufacturers.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
MG and Vauxhall have horrible badges. I hate to judge a car by the badge but...
Kia has recently improved in this category, even if some people didn't get the new design and thought it was a new brand called "KN"

2667ffed84bd90c7f6e631058596e45e.jpg

Tesla is plug-in-and-walk-away, whereas the others (in USA too I expect) are plug-in, get the APP open, and try to initiate a charge.
It is any even larger disparity than this in the USA. Over my 5 years of owning a Tesla I have never once had a supercharger site that didn't work and only once had to wait more than 2 minutes to get a plug. I take long trips requiring supercharging 10-15 times per year.

I have heard countless horror stories about all the other non-Tesla charging networks.

It is any even larger disparity than this in the USA. Over my 5 years of owning a Tesla I have never once had a supercharger site that didn't work and only once had to wait more than 2 minutes to get a plug. I take long trips requiring supercharging 10-15 times per year.

I have heard countless horror stories about all the other non-Tesla charging networks.
Rest assured they are all true.
Plug & Charge is coming (slowly) to non-Tesla chargers in Europe this year, so this should ease some of the frictions. I currently carry more than a half-dozen RFID cards for 3rd party charging networks in my centre console.

The biggest difference here was also the mandatory CCS2 standard, which allowed compatibility both ways (Teslas at non-Tesla SC, and non-Teslas [at the few but growing] Tesla SC) without the need for separate adaptors/magic-docks. This should fare for a nice unified network in the future, but it's true Tesla SuC reliability cannot be matched currently.
The USA having to deal with two 'standards', the official CCS1 + the de-facto Tesla proprietary/NACS is not fantastic...

Maybe petrol and diesel cost the same across your planet but over here, two same franchises cost different albeit 6 miles apart.
In fairness I think he meant having different prices at a given charging station depending on the RFID/provider card you are using.
I actually welcome this as you can arbitrage and there's a healthy competition. I'm afraid if we end up with a fixed priced per station no matter what card you are using prices will go up.

In fairness I think he meant having different prices at a given charging station depending on the RFID/provider card you are using.
I actually welcome this as you can arbitrage and there's a healthy competition. I'm afraid if we end up with a fixed priced per station no matter what card you are using prices will go up.
Fair enough... you give a bit more credit than me but going from this quote ...

There it is again, that alternative reality you inhabit. I assure you my IT credentials and career trump yours 🙈

Im not to sure if I gave him some crimpers and a diagram he would be able to terminate an RJ45 🤣