Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The moment there is proof of China delivering assault weapons to Russia to be used in the Ukraine theater, there will be serious repercussions.
Some might say that the U.S. and EU countries are already supplying weapons to the Uktainians.
To this I'd say that those are meant purely defensively of Ukrainians own territory.
Chinese arms are per definition not when they exchange hands with the Russians.

Western mulit-billion investments in China will defintely be in jeaporday as a result of Western sanctions against China.
Hopefully we won't get that far.

Dude checking his Tesla shares... once China became involved...??

FHFTHsEWQAcZWPf

Slovakia flys Gripins don't they? Fingers crossed. The Gripin is a great plane. India was foolish not to have chosen it, would have been perfect. Not enough bribes. [...

You have the Slovaks mixed up with the Czech... But I guess that's easy to do‚ they used to be the same country... So the Czech have the Gripens. The Hungarians also have Gripens. But I have a feeling that Orbán in Hungary isn't going to be of any help here...

Slovakia has retired their Mig-29s. But for whatever reason they don't seem to have been turned over to Ukraine yet... Or perhaps they have been – albeit just in secrecy...

"During the Cold War, the US made an effort to keep Russia and China divided, despite both being murderous
communist regimes," Sacks posted on Twitter on Feb. 23. "Now we’re pushing them closer together as a result
of Biden’s war on autocracy. This is dangerous and foolish."

This is an absurd and foolish statement. As far back as the early 1990s foreign policy experts saw the risk inherit in China and Russia inevitably getting closer. We didn't do anything in the cold war to keep russia and china divided. Nothing that mattered. They were divided because of conflicts over line of control in N Asia, N Korea, and finally the cultural revolution when Russia backed the losers and they were assassinated as they fled to Russia.

We did use the conflict to secure secretish monitoring of Russia nuke tests but that was a loss for the USA.

Nikon formalizing relations with China was about cockblocking Russia in Vietnam rather than dividing Russia and China. At that point they had a simmering war via proxies in Cambodia and Vietnam (Russia won both but lost the war as China gained influence in Laos, the keystone to Indochina) and hot skirmishes on their own border.

Bush sr, Clinton, Jr, Obama, and Trump all failed to influence China or Russia to move to less confrontational approaches to foreign relations. Biden is paying the price, in particular for Obama and Trumps wholly ineffective or enabling policies. From the very get go Biden ended the catastrophe that was Afghanistan. BRILLIANT. If we had been stuck in Afghanistan when this *sugar* show started we'd have had huge issues. As it were we were free to focus on strategic fronts. Why Trump didn't pull out of there I'll never know..to make peace with the Taliban but not leave was the worst of both situations- absolute idiocy but Trumps foreign policy was idiocy on idiocy.

You have the Slovaks mixed up with the Czech... But I guess that's easy to do‚ they used to be the same country... So the Czech have the Gripens. The Hungarians also have Gripens. But I have a feeling that Orbán in Hungary isn't going to be of any help here...

Slovakia has retired their Mig-29s. But for whatever reason they don't seem to have been turned over to Ukraine yet... Or perhaps they have been – albeit just in secrecy...
Thanks yes

Reactions: SwedishAdvocate

The moment there is proof of China delivering assault weapons to Russia to be used in the Ukraine theater, there will be serious repercussions.
Some might say that the U.S. and EU countries are already supplying weapons to the Uktainians.
To this I'd say that those are meant purely defensively of Ukrainians own territory.
Chinese arms are per definition not when they exchange hands with the Russians.

Western mulit-billion investments in China will defintely be in jeaporday as a result of Western sanctions against China.
Hopefully we won't get that far.
Elon thinks a conflict with China over Taiwan specifically is inevitable, will greatly affect companies like Apple, and will cut the global economy by 30%. He also thinks Tesla would be allowed to continue selling vehicles within China but not export from Giga Shanghai.

This is an absurd and foolish statement. As far back as the early 1990s foreign policy experts saw the risk inherit in China and Russia inevitably getting closer. We didn't do anything in the cold war to keep russia and china divided. Nothing that mattered. They were divided because of conflicts over line of control in N Asia, N Korea, and finally the cultural revolution when Russia backed the losers and they were assassinated as they fled to Russia.

We did use the conflict to secure secretish monitoring of Russia nuke tests but that was a loss for the USA.

Nikon formalizing relations with China was about cockblocking Russia in Vietnam rather than dividing Russia and China. At that point they had a simmering war via proxies in Cambodia and Vietnam (Russia won both but lost the war as China gained influence in Laos, the keystone to Indochina) and hot skirmishes on their own border.

Bush sr, Clinton, Jr, Obama, and Trump all failed to influence China or Russia to move to less confrontational approaches to foreign relations. Biden is paying the price, in particular for Obama and Trumps wholly ineffective or enabling policies. From the very get go Biden ended the catastrophe that was Afghanistan. BRILLIANT. If we had been stuck in Afghanistan when this *sugar* show started we'd have had huge issues. As it were we were free to focus on strategic fronts. Why Trump didn't pull out of there I'll never know..to make peace with the Taliban but not leave was the worst of both situations- absolute idiocy but Trumps foreign policy was idiocy on idiocy.

The DoD probably knew that the government the US left behind in Afghanistan was not going to stay in power very long once US forces were out. The collapse happened much quicker than anyone expected, but they knew a Taliban takeover was inevitable. Trump is obsessed he always looks like a "winner" and is terrified of ever looking like a "loser". Pulling out of Afghanistan is admitting defeat and then having the government we left behind collapse is an even bigger defeat. Look at how Biden's opponents attacked him for the pullout.

I believe Trump's people were negotiating with the Taliban, but I'm not sure what the plan was. Maybe they were trying to get the Taliban to let them leave in a big ceremony?

Elon thinks a conflict with China over Taiwan specifically is inevitable, will greatly affect companies like Apple, and will cut the global economy by 30%. He also thinks Tesla would be allowed to continue selling vehicles within China but not export from Giga Shanghai.

If relations go significantly sour between the US and China, I expect China will nationalize all the US factories in China, including Tesla's.

Or at least neutralize him so he can't do much. Putin is doing a pretty good job of destroying his army.

"During the Cold War, the US made an effort to keep Russia and China divided, despite both being murderous
communist regimes," Sacks posted on Twitter on Feb. 23. "Now we’re pushing them closer together as a result
of Biden’s war on autocracy. This is dangerous and foolish."

So your point is that Sacks is a malevolent moron, ignorant of history? I agree.

It's a pity that anybody pays any attention to him.

If relations go significantly sour between the US and China, I expect China will nationalize all the US factories in China, including Tesla's.
They may functionally be nationalized, but actual nationalization would be a really really big step for China. Somewhat akin to hanging out a "Closed for business" sign, China isn't independent of the global economy, nor is the global economy independent of China. However nationalizing assets primarily owned internationally is going to have the knock on effect of every other foreign company questioning any further investment in the country.

There won't need to be any formal sanctions - foreign investment will dry up. Companies dependent on China in some form or fashion in their supply chain will accelerate efforts to not just diversify, but also cut ties with China. That'll take years and probably decades, but it won't take years for the economic impact to be felt in China.

An alternative I can readily see - the factory owners get a pretty nice offer they can't refuse to sell to a local company (which may well be state owned). It won't be great, but it won't be fire sale -- something in between so everybody can at least pretend that the China based asset wasn't stolen.

So your point is that Sacks is a malevolent moron, ignorant of history? I agree.

It's a pity that anybody pays any attention to him.
Just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them a moron. Imo Sacks is far from a moron. An immigrant from Africa, managed to get into Stanford and get a Bachelor in economics and a Juris Doctor from Chicago School of law. Only person at Paypal to beat Peter Thiel at chess, Thiel has 2300 a FIDE rating. Then gets himself a net worth of $270M.

If he was a moron would he be able to pull those feats off? Sure he says some things I disagree with and he sometimes quote some questionable people. But he is not a moron... Maybe you could argue he is an malevolent above average iq person. But not a moron...

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them a moron. Imo Sacks is far from a moron. An immigrant from Africa, managed to get into Stanford and get a Bachelor in economics and a Juris Doctor from Chicago School of law. Only person at Paypal to beat Peter Thiel at chess, Thiel has 2300 a FIDE rating. Then gets himself a net worth of $270M.

If he was a moron would he be able to pull those feats off? Sure he says some things I disagree with and he sometimes quote some questionable people. But he is not a moron... Maybe you could argue he is an malevolent above average iq person. But not a moron...

He sure doesn’t seem to have very informed commentary.

I know plenty of people who are smart in some areas and have pretty moronic takes on other subjects.

He's a moron because he expresses ignorant opinions in public, on subjects far divorced from any areas where he might have experience or knowledge. And he seems to be totally unaware of his own ignorance. Many smart people seem to have that problem. They appear to think that because they are knowledgeable and successful in one area, that somehow that means that they are automatically knowledgeable in unrelated areas.

So yeah, Sacks is a moron. At least about Russia and foreign policy and diplomacy, which is what we're discussing here.

He's a moron because he expresses ignorant opinions in public, on subjects far divorced from any areas where he might have experience or knowledge. And he seems to be totally unaware of his own ignorance. Many smart people seem to have that problem. They appear to think that because they are knowledgeable and successful in one area, that somehow that means that they are automatically knowledgeable in unrelated areas.

So yeah, Sacks is a moron. At least about Russia and foreign policy and diplomacy, which is what we're discussing here.
Like Elon Musk is a moron for expressing ignorant opinions in public on the war, the pandemic and other things? And no don't answer haha, I am sure lots of people here think Elon is a Moron... Myself I disagree with them being morons, I can disagree with Sacks, Elon, most Christians, liberals etc without calling them morons. We just believe different things and have different opinions on some topics. And that's totally okay.

Good work in Belarus getting that A50 Mainstay AWACS. Russia doesn't have many of those, and they are definitely high value targets.

Personally I expect (and also hope) that in the event of a successful Ukraine outcome, then there will be a revolution in Belarus and the opposition will get back the election that was stolen from them. It is notable that the Belarus opposition seems to have been in on this and are teamed with Ukraine. Also in that outcome I expect Transnistria to get tidied away PDQ and Moldova to escape Russian clutches. (Georgia is more difficult, that will tend more on events within Russia).

=============

Europe has some pretty significant challenges converting completely to renewables. I don't think they can do it without also adopting nuclear power. Cambridge Physics professor David MacKay laid out the math making an all renewable future for Europe problematic.

He unfortunately died in 2016 and some advancements have been made since, but the hill is still very steep. Carbon Commentary updated his figures in 2017 based on what was known then. They point out the problem is a little easier, but it was still huge. The cost of installing enough renewables to serve all of the UK at a level of 50KWH per person per day had dropped from 93K Euros to 18K Euros. It may be lower today, but the at 18K Euros that costs 1.1 trillion Euros. And that's just the UK.
Keeping David MacKay's 'Sustainable Energy - without the hot air' up-to-date | Carbon Commentary
Mackay is (was) plain wrong. The energy numbers for Europe are easier than the energy numbers for USA. Transformation is possible, and is happening in both areas and in fact globally. The key issue is the economics. Mackay doesn't (didn't) understand the sheer ongoing cost of getting fossils out the ground, i.e. the transition can be paid for; or that renewables are getting progressively better and cheaper. The data on this is already clear - that was why I bothered to run the numbers in my own global energy model during the last week or so.

In some ways WW II was the world's first energy war.

Europe should pursue renewables as much as is feasible, but they are not going to get 100% there with renewables alone.

Actually WW1 was the first energy (and steel) war. The Germans almost managed to get the Franco-Belgian coal fields, and if they'd done that it would have been game over. If you look in some of the WW1 photos you can see pictures of the pit draworks literally on the front lines and still operating.

As I've said above (and modelled, and worked on practically) it is possible for all the world to go fully renewables

And I guess it's possible that other nations fill in for the Swedish Air Force (FV) while the FV rebuilds with new fighter jets,

Sweden has been umming and ahing about what to do with its early model Gripen A/B (and C/D) now that Sweden has transitioned to late model Gripen E/F. I think there are somewhere between 20-60 aircraft that are in the pool of 'available' at the C/D state and which could be leased/gifted/sold.

Croatia is finding its compass now points more firmly to the West: Croatia plans to transfer 14 Mi-8 and Mi-17 helicopters to Ukraine within the next month,

For those with an interest in JDAM-ER, noting that it will need to be low level releases.

Last edited: